cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG48UQ Black screen and HDR issues

Greeny_SA
Level 9
Howdy

Having some issues with my PG48UQ and wanted to see if it was isolated or not. Have seen a few threads on the 42, but less on the 48.

Issue 1 - Screen goes black without any message, just black. Doesn't drop input, just black and unresponsive for minutes at a time. Eventually you can use the remote to cycle it off and back on after a few mins. Is this a forced pixel refresh or something, even though it says nothing?

Issue 2 - Turning HDR on in windows looks washed out and awful. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or not but colours just seem brown? I noticed that RT'ings review of the 42 mentioned something similar.

Running Firmware V025 so there isn't really anything I can update to.

People have any ideas or is this just a matter of wait for a Firmware that might fix it? Seems disingenuous to sell something as HDR when it doesn't work.

Thanks
63 REPLIES 63

adminy
Level 7

I bought my PG48UQ with version v24 on it. I'm daily driving it from an m1 macbook pro, There is no update tool or anything.

So I borrowed my brother's PC to do the update to v25. Then the blackouts started happening. The reason I updated was because I was hoping that I'd get the annoying pixel clearing popup less often. Instead I miss that problem now as my monitor would just disconnect itself in the middle of a meeting!. ..

So I saw v26, in the website, quickly borrowed the PC again, updated it, and now I'm getting daily black screens affecting my work quite a lot.

Its clearly software ... Please Asus, go back in your versions if your engineers have no idea what they are doing at the very least,

keep customers interested in your products ...

aphex808
Level 8

It's unbelievable to me that this monitor's software is this bad.  I have the exact same issues.  If I didn't know better and wasn't savvy enough to find this stuff, I'd want to RMA this thing.  In a way I still do, but I know the new one will be just as bad.  It's baffling to me that ASUS would do this to a product, especially one with their ROG branding.  This is my first and last ASUS monitor, I'll tell you that.  I'm just glad I got it at a fire sale price from B&H as an open box rather than paying full price.  The original owner probably had the same issues.  Aside from the forced pixel refresh with no warning issue, it's a FANTASTIC monitor.  It's amazing how much careless firmware bugs can ruin such an otherwise fantastic product.

Thanks for all of the info here, it's helpful.  I'm going to try manually turning my monitor off each night I guess and see how that goes.

Did you have any luck with it behaving using the remote to turn it off?

phatmonkey
Level 9

Hi, just want to chime in on problem 1, yes having the same issue, after so many hours the screen goes black, nothing works not even the remote other than pulling the plug out and back in again. Not sure if it is a pixel clean because that usualy has the red ausus logo flashing while cleaning?  4.0.332.0 Firmware Version V026

Windows 11 | Rog Maximus Z690 Hero | i9-14900K | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 4800mhz 64GB | MSI 4090 SUPRIM X | Apollo x16 | Quantum 2626 | ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG48UQ | H150i RGB Pro XT | AX1200i | Dark Core Pro SE | K100 RGB

Been so long since it's done it now that I can't remember perfectly. But I am like 95% sure that the LED did not flash when the screen went black for 6 mins before becoming responsive again. If it had, then it would have made diagnosing it easier.

Try turning the screen off with the remote when the system is off and it should (hopefully) behave the next time you use it. Have been doing that for a few months now and I haven't had the black thing after 4 hours again.

Funky_DM
Level 8

With my limited testing and RMA'ing it's a software issue, like a hard crash on the pc. So like on the pc you have to reset it but no reset button so plug pull is all that's helps that.

My assumption is that by using the remote power off button, instead of the button on the bottom of the moniter, it does a 'pixel cleaning cycle' and doesn't flash the logo. Been exclusively using the remote and 'touch wood' so far so good 4months now, no black screen with everyday medium/heavy ish usage.

This is from very little testing and looking up info online, like the ratings YouTube ppl. They noticed that LG panels do pixel cleaning cycles when the panels are powered down and this asus moniter uses an LG panel.

MimosaSTG
Level 8

I am almost about to toss this monitor in the trash. The constant turning off and on and freezing my computer on a daily basis. I  have had to switch to an older monitor to work. 

Have you tried turning it off with the remote when the thing is off? And I mean the ASUS logo off, I often have to push it twice. But doing that has meant I haven't had a forced clean in months now.

Glorfendel
Level 8

new firmware came out today anyone try it yet?  I cant as mine is dead and asus is never going to replace it.