cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG48UQ Black screen and HDR issues

Greeny_SA
Level 9
Howdy

Having some issues with my PG48UQ and wanted to see if it was isolated or not. Have seen a few threads on the 42, but less on the 48.

Issue 1 - Screen goes black without any message, just black. Doesn't drop input, just black and unresponsive for minutes at a time. Eventually you can use the remote to cycle it off and back on after a few mins. Is this a forced pixel refresh or something, even though it says nothing?

Issue 2 - Turning HDR on in windows looks washed out and awful. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or not but colours just seem brown? I noticed that RT'ings review of the 42 mentioned something similar.

Running Firmware V025 so there isn't really anything I can update to.

People have any ideas or is this just a matter of wait for a Firmware that might fix it? Seems disingenuous to sell something as HDR when it doesn't work.

Thanks
63 REPLIES 63

Snaptrap
Level 10
I think these monitors are poorly calibrated with junk drivers. I had a PG329Q and the HDR on it was vibrant. Unfortunately, the monitor had dynamic dimming flicker issues so I returned it for a PG43UQ which has washed-out colour in HDR. I understand that one is IPS with HDR 600 and the other is VA with HDR1000, but they shouldn't be that different.

J_Bish
Level 10
Could be cable related or video card driver related, I tried windows hdr 1 time and it screwed up my colors,

J Bish wrote:
Could be cable related or video card driver related, I tried windows hdr 1 time and it screwed up my colors,

It's improved in Windows 11 a lot vs 10 where on my setup, it doesn't work at all. But still looks like SDR content pops more than HDR does, which can't be right.

I'd need to buy calibration equipment though to have exact numbers which isn't exactly feasible.

SCATANA
Level 7
Greeny_SA wrote:
Howdy

Having some issues with my PG48UQ and wanted to see if it was isolated or not. Have seen a few threads on the 42, but less on the 48.

Issue 1 - Screen goes black without any message, just black. Doesn't drop input, just black and unresponsive for minutes at a time. Eventually you can use the remote to cycle it off and back on after a few mins. Is this a forced pixel refresh or something, even though it says nothing?

Issue 2 - Turning HDR on in windows looks washed out and awful. Not sure if I am doing something wrong or not but colours just seem brown? I noticed that RT'ings review of the 42 mentioned something similar.

Running Firmware V025 so there isn't really anything I can update to.

People have any ideas or is this just a matter of wait for a Firmware that might fix it? Seems disingenuous to sell something as HDR when it doesn't work.

Thanks

I have the same 2 issues. Running win11 and firmware v026.

I confirm I have the same issues, 4 hours to black screen and HDR. I bought the PG48UQ on Sept 26 2022.

Shark007
Level 10

Greeny_SA
Level 9

I've been doing testing on mine for the last few weeks and have some results. It would be great if someone else who has the same problem could run the same tests and see if they can replicate my results.

Not sure if this did anything but I did a factory reset and am running V026 Firmware. Not using HDR and have a user colour profile with Uniform Brightness on and Brightness set to 100.

Test 1 - Screen left on standby while PC is off. Turn PC on and after exactly 4 hours of use it forces pixel refresh. Screen needs to be turned off with the remote after being unresponsive for 6 mins then back on again.

Test 2 - Screen left on standby while PC is off. Turn PC on, but before using it for anything, go into menu and force pixel refresh. Come back after the 6 mins and the screen is back on. Screen does not trigger forced refresh after 4 hours from doing this. I ran the screen all night, after 8 hours I received the notification to run pixel refresh, but it did not force it to happen for 10+ hours of use.

Test 3 - Screen off overnight using the remote rather than on standby. Turned PC on and then screen on. After many hours of using it, the pixel refresh warning comes up but at no point in the day has it done a forced cycle. I've been doing this for a few weeks now and it hasn't done a forced pixel clean once.

I'm fairly confident that this fix works, at least in my case. Just turn the screen off with the remote over night when it's not in use. No clue if it does a clean overnight while it's powered down or what, but I've had uninterrupted use since I started doing this.

Still doing a manual clean every now and again if I am going to wander off for a while.

It would be great if some other people with the black screen problem could test / confirm that this works for them. Have some people on reddit with the same problem and it fixed theirs, but more data would help.

Funky_DM
Level 8

Havent done any timed tests but it the same for me, It used to black out alot. Unplug and replug the power cord works in a pinch but running the pixel cleaning manualy, once a week has stoped it blacking out for quite some time.

The washout was insane bug for me but i used the calibration tool plus i changed NVIDIA setting. The default setting is limited color, make sure its on Full 0-250 mode and 10-bit color is on in either NVIDIA/AMD control panel. (Not the windows one) and the colors pop for me now.

and the drivers for windows helped. check here. https://wiredcolony.com/asus-pg42uq-oled-hdr-best-settings-guide/#how-to-update-pg-42-uq-firmware

The black out thing I think is still down to a forced pixel refresh, but turning it off with remote after a day of use seems to have got that part sorted.

But, your second part of the HDR settings. Oh, so that's what HDR is meant to look like. I had given up on it and assumed it was basically garbage. This looks massively better, thanks heaps.

Hi Greeny_SA,

It looks like you've done a good bit of testing and configuring, and have it pretty well except for the blackouts.

You could be onto something about the blackouts, OLED displays have an auto pixel cleaner and it could be activating as you're suggesting. 

The next time you get a blackout, check the power led, if it's flashing orange it's pixel cleaning.