cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG42UQ very slow to wake from sleep.

axiumone
Level 11
Firmware is V031. With either a win 11 pc connected through HDMI or a macbook connected through DP, it takes an average of 30 seconds for the display to wake up and start responding if the host machine puts the display to sleep. To be clear, the OS itself is running, and the machine is not in a sleep state, just the display is in a sleep state.

Is there anything that can be done about this? It's a pretty terrible user experience, because it feels like maybe the machine froze or crashed and it's not clear that it's just the display thats not responding.
76 REPLIES 76

arnvid
Level 7
I have the same with V031 and powercycling the display is what solves it for me. I will try to be patience and see if it returns by itself on the next reboot now in 5 mins time 😉

edit: Did a reboot now after updating some software... screen comes to life again after 6 mins and 49 seconds...

Small update. I pass analog audio through the monitor to my speakers. Today I found that I could unpause the youtube video and get audio to my speakers, but the display wouldn't wake from sleep until I manually powered it off/on.

axiumone
Level 11
The overclock also turns itself off randomly.

axiumone
Level 11
Here's a clip of the issue. I tried the remote and the physical power button on the display for about a minute before filming. In the beginning of the clip you can see me spamming the power button with no response. The display finally wakes up mid way through the clip.

https://i.imgur.com/6Lli7GF.mp4

axiumone
Level 11
How do I report this as a bug to the appropriate team? I don't think contacting support is going to have the desired effect, as some low level support person will try the troubleshooting script that doesn't apply to this and it's going to be a waste of time.

Here's another clip of the display being un-responsive after being in standby for 8 hours. You can hear the usb disconnect / connect audio coming from the display when I unplug my mouse. Forgot to film that far, but the overclock also disabled itself when the display finally woke up.

https://i.imgur.com/Hrqc3bc.mp4

Asus, this is a lot of money to pay for poorly functioning hardware. Very frustrating.

axiumone wrote:
How do I report this as a bug to the appropriate team? I don't think contacting support is going to have the desired effect, as some low level support person will try the troubleshooting script that doesn't apply to this and it's going to be a waste of time.

Asus, this is a lot of money to pay for poorly functioning hardware. Very frustrating.

I have reported this to support as my problem is similar or the same.
I got feedback first to upgrade gfx card firmware.

axiumone
Level 11
Interesting. I've tried that a few days ago, I'm on the latest firmware available for the strix 3090. Meaning, there was no updates available for my case.

Did you contact them through chat or an rma ticket?

axiumone
Level 11
In a discussion about this subject on reddit. Some users figured out that the overclock feature of the monitor is what's causing the issue, at least partly. I can confirm that turn off overclocking on the monitor does make it wake from standby quicker and more reliably.

axiumone
Level 11
Hello, Asus? Anybody home?