cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG35VQ General Availability?

Artureld
Level 7
I know the monitor was unveiled during CES 2017, just wondering whether a concrete release date has been mentioned other then Q4 launch.
80 REPLIES 80

xoutofmyheadx wrote:
well **** i read that completely wrong. i read it on my phone. i thought it said that he had already bought it and had been useing it. microcenter by me has asus pg348q on sale right now for 980 but it's out of stock. so i may go for that alienware and get that extra 20hz. i haven't really seen a good review on it tho.

Haha, no worries. Yeah, I decided against the Samsung due to lack of g-sync. I just purchased the alienware after reading the review on the tftcentral website, check it out, loads of mini reviews by purchasers on the Reddit 21:9 subreddit so those are worth a look to. The reviews all point at this monitor being the best 21:9 monitor currently available, fastest response times, highest refresh rate etc, and the curve is more aggressive than the pg348q so should envelope you more aiding in immersion. Mine arrives tomorrow, so will be using it until the pg35vq surfaces late next year I guess!

I also spoke to dell prior to buying the monitor, via their online chat service. They were kind enough to price match the alienware to the same price as the pg348q/x34, so was a no brainer. Not to mention the 3 years warranty will come in handy when I end up selling it for the pg35vq. Happy, but wish I hadn't just gone 4 months without a 21:9, going back to 16:9 was a shock, first world problems though eh?!

Shame, I really wanted this and was saving up for it for Christmas. I'll probably just go Acer then.

I am new to gaming at 2K having just picked up a used PG278Q, coming from a triple 1080p ASUS VG248QE set up.

I think the PG35VQ would be a great compromise for gaming on a single 1440p ultra wide monitor, in place of triple 1440p monitors given I only have two 1080s in SLI.

I too would like to know the release date of this monitor. I plan to use it as my center gaming monitor, with my PG278Q on the side.

My question for an ASUS rep, or anyone that can help answer this, what are the dimensions of the PG35VQ? My hope would be that the vertical dimension lines up with my 27" PG278Q so that, side by side, they don't look weird. And furthermore, what is the specific pixel density of the PG35VQ? Pixel per inch or per cm will do. Thanks!

xoutofmyheadx
Level 7
from what i've seen the 34 and 27 are the same height. so 35in will be just a smudge taller.
also if anybody is interested that alienware monitor went on black friday sale (maybe?) not sure but it's marked at $999 yesterday so i did order it. it'll be here tomarrow so i'll get to it saterday. pretty excitied it's my 1st pc monitor so i can't compare it to anything.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/new-alienware-34-curved-gaming-monitor-aw3418dw/apd/210-amsv/monitor...]

xoutofmyheadx wrote:
from what i've seen the 34 and 27 are the same height. so 35in will be just a smudge taller.
also if anybody is interested that alienware monitor went on black friday sale (maybe?) not sure but it's marked at $999 yesterday so i did order it. it'll be here tomarrow so i'll get to it saterday. pretty excitied it's my 1st pc monitor so i can't compare it to anything.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/new-alienware-34-curved-gaming-monitor-aw3418dw/apd/210-amsv/monitor...]

I ordered the Alienware monitor through Best Buy so I could get the extended holiday return period. They also price matched the $999. After hearing about delays with the PG35VQ, I figured this monitor would be the best option at this point.

Well I pulled the trigger on the Samsung CHG90. It dropped to 1200 yesterday on Amazon from 1450 on 10-30 so heads up if anyone considering. From what I am reading on the Asus/Acer panel delays, HDR spec issues, and potential alignment with Nvidia Volta graphics cards to work solid with 4k, it looks to me there is alot to work out. I will throw an awesome 1080ti at this monitor to hopefully overcome the lack of G-sync.

xoutofmyheadx wrote:

Thanks for your reply. I should have expected as much being that the PG35VQ is 1inch bigger in screen size.

I ended up picking up a used PG348Q yesterday, and absolutely love it. Compared to the PG278Q 144hz 2K TN panel I also have, the colours are richer and more vibrant, but more so, the game play is surprisingly smoother in both feel and look, even though the PG348Q only refreshes at 100Hz. The difference was immediately noticeable. Sure it's an IPS panel vs TN panel, but wow, the increased smoothness compared to the PG278Q which also has G-Sync at 144Hz, really surprised me.

TL: DR
Will I buy the PG35VQ? Most likely. But do I think I'll be able to fully enjoy it's features and abilities? Probably not for some time until GPUs are powerful enough to take modern AAA title games to 200 FPS at a resolution of 3440x1440p.

Full opinion explanation:
I think it's an important consideration for anyone intending to buy the PG35VQ, to examine the performance capabilities of then current GPUs on the market.

I play games at maxed out graphical settings using two SLI'd, and OC'd, 1080 liquid cooled cards at 2138Mhz/5500Mhz. Some games struggle to push past 60 FPS, even when SLI scaling is supported, on the ASUS PG348Q. In more cases than not, at 2K and ultrawide 2K resolution, two SLI'd 1080s beat out a single 1080 Ti. And it should be noted that scaling for two SLI'd 1080 Ti is far lesser supported than scaling for two SLI'd 1070 Ti/two SLI'd 1080 for the same game titles. (See linked tech articles below). With my two SLI'd 1080's on the PG348Q, Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands benchmark earns 59 FPS avg , GTA V benchmark 71 FPS avg, Rise of the Tomb Raider benchmark 53 FPS avg, Destiny 2 90~120 FPS avg, Star Wars Battlefront II 90~110 FPS avg. Older titles like Dirt 3 benchmark at 205 FPS.

Why does this even matter? When the PG35VQ is released, sure it will be the ultimate best gaming monitor, no doubt, with it's HDR, Quantum Dot and 200Hz refresh rate support, but I am worried about justifying it's cost due to GPUs not being able to output 200 FPS in games. Yes the argument can be made that it's future proof, and yes, new faster GPUs like Nvidia's Volta will come along and so forth, but will I be able to fully reap the benefits of the PG35VQ if current hardware at the time can't do so? I'm not so convinced I will. If such is the case, then the immediate benefits of buying the PG35VQ will be for it's HDR and Quantum Dot support. And I'd further expect the PG348Q to experience a price drop, making it harder to justify buying the PG35VQ right at launch.

My concern anyways, and it's OK to disagree with me.

References
I used both articles below to form my opinion. FPS across 35 games is benchmarked against resolutions of 1080p, 1440p , ultra wide 1440p, and 4K, comparing 1070 Ti vs 1070 Ti SLI vs 1080 Ti vs 1080 Ti SLI. It should be noted that the 1070 Ti is basically a "stunted" 1080, with only 128 fewer CUDA cores, and can be easily overclocked to match AIB partner 1080 card clock speeds with software like MSI Afterburner and EVGA PrecisionX OC.

1070 Ti vs 1070 Ti SLI vs 1080 Ti
https://babeltechreviews.com/the-gtx-1070-ti-sli-vs-gtx-1080-ti-performance-review-35-games-tested/

1080 Ti vs 1080 Ti SLI
https://babeltechreviews.com/gtx-1080-ti-sli-performance-25-games/3/

xoutofmyheadx
Level 7
well i got mine yesterday. i got home today hooked it up. took some adjusting to get it to work. i didn't know windows had fps set at nomore than 60hz. my son found it, changed it and boom we're off to the races. definately likeing this monitor. the stand is really sturdy and made of steal. love the look of this thing it's classy suttle rgbs on the back and bottom. controls are easy to use.

as of yesterday newegg had the pg348q droped with promo down to $920 sale ends on saturday for anybody who is interested.

I've heard from a guy who owns a shop and went to CES 2017 that around December 7th is maybe when we will get information on it. Based on speculation expect it to have all the same features as the ROG Strix XG35VQ (info released a few days ago I believe) but with the 200hz refresh rate as well as G-SYNC, I'm unsure about the Extreme Low Motion Blur though. I've been going back and forth on either getting the PG35VQ or the PG348Q for a christmas present but I guess we'll see. 😉