cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG348Q - 100Hz not working, only gets to 85Hz

Spoonzie
Level 7
Greetings,

I am having trouble getting my PG348Q to clock to 100Hz, I know this is attributed to something in either my setup or in the way I am trying to do it. After many failed attempts, I took the monitor back to place of purchase and they had a technician test it out for me and he managed to easily get it to 100Hz right away.

He also showed me the method of configuring the Monitor, then using windows display properties to change to resolution. (I was using NVIDIA control panel previously - so thought this was why I couldn't get it to work)

When I brought it back home I did the exact same process and still couldn't get it to work beyond 85Hz. When I try and set it to 90Hz + the screen would go blank and say 'Display Port no Signal' - and my screen will not come back until I reset the clock to 60Hz.

After checking through all my settings I do note in my BIOS it reads my Strix 1080 as PCIEx8 even though I have all the settings in BIOS to Gen 3 speeds. GPUTweak even shows PCIEx16 @ x8.

I have tried the following:

- 3 DP Cables of differing lengths (1,2 and 3m)
- Reseated GPU
- Reinstalled GPU drivers
- Lift Hz Clock rate by 5Hz increments until 85Hz after which it fails

I have scoured the internet for information but cannot find anything for me to troubleshoot further. Even a detailed step guide on how to overclock this monitor I couldn't find.

I love the monitor and it has zero dead pixels and very minimal BLB

Right now, I am beyond frustrated as I paid a premium for this and really want it to work to its full potential. I just don't have the time nor patience to troubleshoot PC's anymore so any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

If I cant get it to work will just have to take it and the PC back to place of purchase and pay that tech to help lol
13 REPLIES 13

JustinThyme
Level 13
Did you set it on the monitor?

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

JustinThyme wrote:
Did you set it on the monitor?

Yep.

Set it on monitor (pushed in joystick to confirm, monitor rebooted).

Then I would go to NVIDIA Control Panel and set the refresh rate there.

See, that method works flawlessly for 70-85Hz.

Trying to go 90,95,100Hz would just present a blank 'Display Port no signal' screen which I cannot remove until I take off the clock and wait a couple of minutes.

Now I am just stuck on 85Hz. Better than nothing, but after paying near $1800 for this monitor I want the full potential 😞

Just as an update - for any who may come across this and have same issue.

I ordered a premium Lindy DisplayPort Cable as a last resort - and BAM...overclocked monitor to 100Hz perfectly!!

My boot up time to windows even seemed much faster (may be a placebo effect but still)

So after all that, it was a DisplayPort cable. Crazy, because I used the manufacturers AND 2 other cables. So they were ALL bad.

Last one I had in there was a DP certified one as well..heh.

Spoonzie wrote:
Just as an update - for any who may come across this and have same issue.

I ordered a premium Lindy DisplayPort Cable as a last resort - and BAM...overclocked monitor to 100Hz perfectly!!

My boot up time to windows even seemed much faster (may be a placebo effect but still)

So after all that, it was a DisplayPort cable. Crazy, because I used the manufacturers AND 2 other cables. So they were ALL bad.

Last one I had in there was a DP certified one as well..heh.

I read your post before this one and was going to say it had to be the Cable. That Monitor running at 100hz needs data speeds that are 4k so I assume you have a newer 1.3 or 1.4 DP cable now? My biggest question would be, was the cable provided not working or did they mistakenly not provide a DP cable in this one?
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316 wrote:
I read your post before this one and was going to say it had to be the Cable. That Monitor running at 100hz needs data speeds that are 4k so I assume you have a newer 1.3 or 1.4 DP cable now? My biggest question would be, was the cable provided not working or did they mistakenly not provide a DP cable in this one?

I purchased a Lindy 4K Gold cable, cost me $119aud. Well worth it though surely cheaper cables would do. I am at peace now, perfect monitor - hardly any visible BLB, zero dead pixels and no whine or scanlines etc.*

This cable is DP certified. Runs 1.2, no indication of 1.3 or 1.4, I am not sure those revisions exist?

*The one supplied with monitor failed as did 2 others I got. *Was going crazy thinking I must be trying to do the clock sequence wrong etc etc

Spoonzie wrote:
I purchased a Lindy 4K Gold cable, cost me $119aud. Well worth it though surely cheaper cables would do. I am at peace now, perfect monitor - hardly any visible BLB, zero dead pixels and no whine or scanlines etc.*

This cable is DP certified. Runs 1.2, no indication of 1.3 or 1.4, I am not sure those revisions exist?

*The one supplied with monitor failed as did 2 others I got. *Was going crazy thinking I must be trying to do the clock sequence wrong etc etc

That's nuts that the one with the box didn't work at all. I would call up Asus for a replacement just to get a spare from them. I just went looking for a 1.3 and a 1.4...looks like they are around but are hard to find for a standard consumer. There are a couple 1.3's i found on amazon. Anyways here's the chart on what the Cables can do. That 1.2 should be fine for that monitor and will last for a while. If you ever have issues setting with a specific frame rate on a monitor while lower frame rates work, it's pretty close to 100% the cable causing the issues. Enjoy the setup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v

If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Thanks man, great to see that chart. This cable has proven excellent so far, very impressed with monitor.

Strangely, I was recently getting POST hangs in BIOS with code b4. I had thought maybe it was my USB hub and was going to deactivate USB initialization...but..since I have installed this new cable - PC boots up crazy quick and no longer hangs.

Still cannot believe how a bad displayport cable could cause such a myriad of issues! Great learning experience!

Spoonzie wrote:
Thanks man, great to see that chart. This cable has proven excellent so far, very impressed with monitor.

Strangely, I was recently getting POST hangs in BIOS with code b4. I had thought maybe it was my USB hub and was going to deactivate USB initialization...but..since I have installed this new cable - PC boots up crazy quick and no longer hangs.

Still cannot believe how a bad displayport cable could cause such a myriad of issues! Great learning experience!

Oh man...you totally just solved my issue i think....I just realized that is probably why my PC freezes in the ASUS BIOS screen during post sometimes (like 1 in 10 boots). It makes sense now because every once in a while I get a flicker on my screen while running at 165hz. I knew it was the cable on the flicker but I didn't even think about it fixing my POST BIOS issue....I'm going to change my cable tonight.

EbenTian wrote:
Hi...i am a new user here. I have one query for my case the Monitor running at 100hz needs data speeds that are 4k so It should have a newer 1.3 or 1.4 DP cable now? If the cable provided not working or did they mistakenly not provide a DP cable in this one?

If you are running 3440 x 1440 at 100hz it will be about 80% of the max certified data rate of a display port 1.2 cable. If you run any 1.2 cable it should work. If you buy a good 1.2 cable it should work and last a long time. I was just curious if the user purchased a 1.3 or 1.4 cable as his new cable. DP 1.2 should work fine. DP 1.0 or 1.1 will not work at 100hz
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v

Crashcourse316 wrote:
Oh man...you totally just solved my issue i think....I just realized that is probably why my PC freezes in the ASUS BIOS screen during post sometimes (like 1 in 10 boots). It makes sense now because every once in a while I get a flicker on my screen while running at 165hz. I knew it was the cable on the flicker but I didn't even think about it fixing my POST BIOS issue....I'm going to change my cable tonight.

Best of luck man! Yeah that whole BIOS hang thing was disappointing for me, and the last thing I would have imagined to be the issue was a crappy DP cable. Just everything seems a lot more snappier when using the system as well.

This is the cable I purchased. http://www.lindy.com.au/gold-displayport-cable-m-m-3m

It is expensive, but when paying $1800 for a monitor - guess one can justify the cost of a good cable. Fact that it resolved all my issues instantaneously further justifies it!