cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG32UCDM Firmware?? SDR & Uniform Brightness

RCLandroid87
Level 9

ASUS HELLO!? IS ANYONE HOME? 

Alienware/Dell and MSI have already published firmware updates and released ICC profiles for their 32" 240hz OLED panels, why has ASUS yet to release ANYTHING? There are some issues the community would like to see fixed.

1- Need to improve SDR brightness (Cant reach 500 nitts even with Uniform Brightness disabled; the monitor only hits ~375 nitts while the Alienware Model can reach about 475)

2- Need to improve HDR mode (quality of life improvements) 

3. Allow SDR to hit 500 nitts with Uniform Brightness enabled (this can be done up to the 10% window, other brands have done it so can ASUS) Currently, having it disabled is the only way to hit 500 nitts but then ABL messes everything up. This occurs even at lower brightness. Let's get this stuff fixed!

6 REPLIES 6

Kundica
Level 10

The PG32UCDM does over 470nits in SDR with Uniform Brightness disabled, while it maxes at around 250nits with it enabled. The Dell you mentioned only does between 240-270nits depending on the mode you use. Dell can't disable the Uniform Brightness which is why the max brightness is stuck similar to the Asus with Uniform Brightness enabled. The MSI is similar with Uniform Brightness always enabled and a max brightness similar to the Dell for SDR.

HDR is an absolute standard so I have no issue with them locking controls on it.

ICC profiles provided by the manufacturer are usually null profile and not necessary.

PiPoLiNiO
Level 9

@Kundica You are wrong.  I had an MSI, I bought an Asus.  The HDR brightness is totally screwed up here.  True Black shines well in bright scenes, but poorly in dark ones, Console mode is great in dark scenes, but terrible in bright ones.  Here's your test proof.  And the problem is that 90% of the monitor use in games involves scenes like this and the Asus looks terrible.

https://www.techspot.com/articles-info/2813/bench/12.png

14900KS :: RTX 4090 :: Aorus Master X Z790 :: 64 GB RAM

I'd have to agree. We need a firmware update ASAP. I'd like to see better brightness and Luminosity in SDR with Uniform Brightness on, color adjustments, and of course we need HDR quality of life improvements. Namely to unlock settings in Console HDR. We also need Asus to provide a "Advanced ICC" profile to use when HDR is enabled to fix the Gammut issues overall. Relying on Microsofts HDR Calibration tool (which ONLY deals with brightness) for HDR color & brightness is wrong. An official HDR advanced color profile would go a LONG ways here. 

@PiPoLiNiO That's a completely different metric than we were discussing... SDR, not HDR. That's also a real scene measurement of HDR which is something other reviewers can't replicate without the same scene. 

Here are the measurements from TFTCentral for the Asus.
Uniform Brightness Disabled
abl_ub_off.jpg
Uniform Brightness Enabled
abl_ub_on.jpg

MUB/Techspot also show similar brightness in SDR with Uniform Brightness Enabled(they only share results for Uniform Brightness Enabled). This is from the Dell review since it also shows the MSI and Asus in SDR. You can see in the chart, they're basically all the same.
Techspot.jpg

Silverhaze_NL
Level 9

HDR is broken for sure, just look at this video on Youtube, on HDR1000 fullscreen brightness is way to dim, now switch to HDR400 and just look at the snow it is a mess! It is just white light and nothing more, i can't even see the snow no more.

https://youtu.be/tumfOFJPBRY?si=2yI2OZQ6sw7K9WnX

Join us on a breathtaking journey through the winter wonderland as we explore the fascinating animals that call it home. From the sleek arctic foxes to the majestic arctic wolves, you'll be mesmerized by the stunning footage captured in glorious 4K HDR 60fps. So sit back, relax, and let the beauty

when u watched the video, did u confirm HDR is indeed turned on when u check the monitor physical OSD? @Silverhaze_NL 

because for me, SDR is where it looks like a mess (snow is just ugly whiteboard).. but in HDR, it looks more detailed and vivid and nice.