cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pg27uq

Neon_Lights
Level 7
MarshallR wrote:
Just checked: PG27 production starts now in May, so mid/late May/early June for first markets depending on how it's being shipped.

Not sure X series yet. It's often mostly waiting for mass-production of panel availability and/or mass production to meet a certain quality standard.

For the record: Monitors don't wait for graphics cards. They just launch on their own schedule.*

My original post:

https://www.inet.se/produkt/2210502/acer-27-predator-x27-4k-144hz-hdr-g-sync-quantum-dot

On this retailer site, the Acer Predator X27 is listed as to be shipped April 5th. Because ASUS usually release their version a little earlier than Acer/the other manufacturers, it is likely that the PG27UQ will be released (assuming that shipping date is correct) during March, this would also still stick to the Q1 2018 release window.

For reference, see the posts in this thread:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1620061/vc-asus-announces-swift-pg27uq-4k-ips-144hz-g-sync-hdr-monitor/10...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1620061/vc-asus-announces-swift-pg27uq-4k-ips-144hz-g-sync-hdr-monitor/11...
1,676 REPLIES 1,676

MarshallR wrote:
Consoles.. not sure. Haven't covered this since yet it's not the expected pairing. Could you suggest which game to test? Or is there an option in the settings? Last console I owned was a 360/N64.

It's not Dolby Vision. HDR10 instead.

It's HDMI 2.0, DP 1.4. Only DP up to 144. HDMI to 60.

I want to pair this with PS4 Pro so just want to make sure HDR will work via HDMI 2.0 port on the monitor. Any PS4 game that supports HDR e.g. Horizon Zero Dawn, Resident Evil 7, Ratchet & Clank, Infamous Second Son etc.

deadchip12 wrote:
I want to pair this with PS4 Pro so just want to make sure HDR will work via HDMI 2.0 port on the monitor. Any PS4 game that supports HDR e.g. Horizon Zero Dawn, Resident Evil 7, Ratchet & Clank, Infamous Second Son etc.

I'm just this minute told Pro/X 4K HDR consoles DO enable HDR@4K with the HDMI port on the PG27UQ.

MarshallR wrote:
I'm just this minute told Pro/X 4K HDR consoles DO enable HDR@4K with the HDMI port on the PG27UQ.

That's a fantastic news!

Can't wait for the monitor. Hope Asus spend time polishing the HDR & FALD functionality. A little bummed out that Dolby Vision & HDMI 2.1 are not supported for future proof but I guess we have to wait for the next generation of monitor.

deadchip12 wrote:
That's a fantastic news!

Can't wait for the monitor. Hope Asus spend time polishing the HDR & FALD functionality. A little bummed out that Dolby Vision & HDMI 2.1 are not supported for future proof but I guess we have to wait for the next generation of monitor.

Oh yea it has HDR10 with 384 FALD LEDs (branded "Nvidia HDR" here), which is more common on PC monitors than Dolby and you'll still get practically the same effect, but without the license fee$$$.

For Dolby/2.1 you're looking at TVs rather than PC monitors. I haven't seen a roadmap when that'll happen because TVs don't care for >60Hz and it depends on 8K60 to drive the bandwidth need, which is still hyper-premium and totally lacking 8K content/media. NV/AMD are focused on DP not HDMI, because every HDMI port you add on every single product you sell is also a license fee. DP is free. That's why your GPU only gets 1 HDMI and several DPs. (This is also why the smartphone industry shifted away from microUSB/MHL in favor of USB-C/DP).

MarshallR wrote:
Oh yea it has HDR10 with 384 FALD LEDs (branded "Nvidia HDR" here), which is more common on PC monitors than Dolby and you'll still get practically the same effect, but without the license fee$$$.

For Dolby/2.1 you're looking at TVs rather than PC monitors. I haven't seen a roadmap when that'll happen because TVs don't care for >60Hz and it depends on 8K60 to drive the bandwidth need, which is still hyper-premium and totally lacking 8K content/media. NV/AMD are focused on DP not HDMI, because every HDMI port you add on every single product you sell is also a license fee. DP is free. That's why your GPU only gets 1 HDMI and several DPs. (This is also why the smartphone industry shifted away from microUSB/MHL in favor of USB-C/DP).

Thank you for your replies to my posts. This is the first time I see a representative from Asus providing such good amount of info.

I also wish there was only 1 universal format for everything e.g. either HDR10 or Dolby Vision, either DP or HDMI. But it's not the case here, so thank god PG27UQ has an HDMI 2.0 port for consoles. Future console like PS5 most likely will have HDMI 2.1 featuring VRR (equivalent of Gsync) so hopefully future monitors will have HDMI 2.1 ports as well.

Any roadmap for OLED or HDR10+ ? HDR10+ should be better than HDR10 and comparable to Dolby Vision thanks to metadata. OLED is a definitely a pain in the *** for monitors due to burn-in issues, so maybe the next generation of monitors will skip OLED and go straight for microLED?

Also, have you ever tried the monitor UP2718Q from Dell? That monitor also has HDR10, 1000 nits brightness and 384 FALD zones. However, some reports mention that the FALD implementation is very poor, which leads to excessive halo and blooming in HDR mode. I hope PG27UQ features better local dimming algorithm.

MarshallR wrote:
Consoles.. not sure. Haven't covered this since yet it's not the expected pairing. Could you suggest which game to test? Or is there an option in the settings? Last console I owned was a 360/N64.

It's not Dolby Vision. HDR10 instead.

It's HDMI 2.0, DP 1.4. Only DP up to 144. HDMI to 60.

Doesn't dp 1.4 supports only up to 120Hz in 4k ? Also, hdmi 2.1 should work, since it uses same port as hdmi 2.0 and can support up to 180Hz in 4k, isn't it?
I was using this table - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/

Kelertov wrote:
Doesn't dp 1.4 supports only up to 120Hz in 4k ? Also, hdmi 2.1 should work, since it uses same port as hdmi 2.0 and can support up to 180Hz in 4k, isn't it?
I was using this table - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/729232-guide-to-display-cables-adapters-v2/

. This is a result of the current HDMI/DP ecosystem and Nvidia Pascal graphics cards only support up to DP 1.4/HDMI 2.0b. 2.1 spec was only released 4 months ago so there's no chance of any 2.1 product arriving this side of 2019 from any source in the AV world as it's not an incremental update like 2.0a->b, it's a doubling of core speeds which requires a significant update to the scaler ASIC, it's memory etc, which is a big cost update in licensing, design, PCB quality, fabrication etcetc (I actually just finished working in an ASIC company). HDMI 1.5 will also double speeds from 1.4, but that's only started discussions at CES this year.
144 is classed as an "overclocked" mode from 120, and needs to be specifically enabled in the OSD. Honestly from 120-144 the difference is not that noticeable outside of fast/twitch gaming and you're not reading text in that scenario so there should be very little concern. If you're not super sensitive to display latency run it at 120, which is still a huge boost from the current 60Hz 4K panels. I know 120 isn't 144, but the user experience is what's important not the number.

Lol, do you know how many ps4 have been sold? There is official and additional info about all generations of all consoles.

dsoliver18 wrote:
Lol, do you know how many ps4 have been sold? There is official and additional info about all generations of all consoles.

uhhh ok but *how is this related to this monitor?

Oh, sorry some lag... I have written it in other thread:(