cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pg27uq

Neon_Lights
Level 7
MarshallR wrote:
Just checked: PG27 production starts now in May, so mid/late May/early June for first markets depending on how it's being shipped.

Not sure X series yet. It's often mostly waiting for mass-production of panel availability and/or mass production to meet a certain quality standard.

For the record: Monitors don't wait for graphics cards. They just launch on their own schedule.*

My original post:

https://www.inet.se/produkt/2210502/acer-27-predator-x27-4k-144hz-hdr-g-sync-quantum-dot

On this retailer site, the Acer Predator X27 is listed as to be shipped April 5th. Because ASUS usually release their version a little earlier than Acer/the other manufacturers, it is likely that the PG27UQ will be released (assuming that shipping date is correct) during March, this would also still stick to the Q1 2018 release window.

For reference, see the posts in this thread:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1620061/vc-asus-announces-swift-pg27uq-4k-ips-144hz-g-sync-hdr-monitor/10...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1620061/vc-asus-announces-swift-pg27uq-4k-ips-144hz-g-sync-hdr-monitor/11...
1,676 REPLIES 1,676

deadchip12 wrote:
Honestly I don't think the number of dimming zones is the only culprit here. 384 is supposed to be A LOT for a 27 inch monitor compared to most TVs out there, yet this monitor cannot outperform them in HDR performance and eliminate blooming/haloing. 65-inch Z9D has "only" 600 zones and it almost has no blooming from what I read. X94E only has 256 zones and very minimal blooming. Hell, from Lim's Cave review it seems like even XE93 has less blooming than this monitor, and that TV is edge-lit. FREAKING EDGE-LIT?!!!

It is the IPS panel! FREAKING IPS man! Maybe we should have gone for VA panel for this kind of hdr monitors.

Also the FALD algorithm is important. I heard Sony is the best in the business when it comes to this. If only they make monitors...

...VA would be better for black levels - because VA blocks out light better...
...but i personally can't stand VA smearing and VA glow!...
...also colors look better on IPS... even expensive VA panels cannot reach the color vibrancy of good IPS panels!

i think IPS and microLED will be the way to go...
and/or real QuantumDot-Panels

in the meantime: enjoy what we have right now...
miniLED and more zones will reduce the haloing significant...
but it still can't match OLED or microLED

i decided to keep my acer xb27, keep my 2500€ and try again with GSync HDR monitors when miniLED is implemented...
won't be long - i suggest next year...

but 2500€ is just too much, for a product i want to be improved as soon as possible!

Guys, PG27UQ/X27 is gaming monitor. Its not profi monitor or TV. It will not represent ideal/reference HDR standard regardels technology in use. Please keep it in mind.

nest wrote:
Guys, PG27UQ/X27 is gaming monitor. Its not profi monitor or TV. It will not represent ideal/reference HDR standard regardels technology in use. Please keep it in mind.

true - i kept it in mind -
but decided to refund it and wait for better HDR capabilities due to BLB and other flaws anyways...

don't get me wrong...
its a good monitor -
it just isn't quite where i want it to be -
and i waited 2 years for it to be released, i can wait a year longer for a better product, that satisfies me...

and of course - miniLED will also induce haloing - but less!
and of course second gen won't be perfect - but GOOD ENOUGH...

i took into consideration the physical limitations, the price and of course how good i think this product is overall...
and it misses my 'needs' for 2500€ by a few inches...
fan is loud (and i want these monitors to be vesa mounted at my home desk!), BLB is bad, quantity and size of dimming zones is good - but just not good enough...

i am absolutely sure, that a miniLED FALD with 1000 zones and less backlightbleed and advanced cooling system and tweaked firmware will satisfy me for the next 5 years - and i had to use the Acer X27 for nearly 7 days to know what i want - especially for the price...

so i had to decide - keep it - and being unsatisfied because of its flaws...
or wait one year more for a product i could not afford otherwise but that will potentially fullfill my needs!

all in all i ended up sending it back anyways, because the stand was defect and it had a dead pixel and BLB and so on...
i will follow threads about GSync HDR monitors to keep up with newest infos...
but i am eagerly awaiting the upcoming models...
and when finally one of them is good enough to satisfy me (and i am not that kind of person that wants perfection!) - i'll buy!

kozmik
Level 7
So um, when and where can we buy the ROG Swift PG27UQ?

I was under the impression they would be available in June, but we're approaching July and they're not stocked anywhere? I feel like I'm going to miss the boat and have every single available PG27UQ snatched up by fkn resellers @ 50-100% markup before I can even blink.

On top of the normal reviews i wish we could get some added reviews on how it works with the xbox one x and ps4 pro and how to compare with other options. I know a lot of people who would probably want this monitor compared to how a lg c8 or b7a would look. In know in my case id be using the pg27uq not only for the gaming rig but also the consoles.

liquidblade wrote:
On top of the normal reviews i wish we could get some added reviews on how it works with the xbox one x and ps4 pro and how to compare with other options. I know a lot of people who would probably want this monitor compared to how a lg c8 or b7a would look. In know in my case id be using the pg27uq not only for the gaming rig but also the consoles.

Well if you read another thread on Acer X27 here: https://www.overclock.net/forum/44-monitors-displays/1629088-predator-x27-104.html
you will see several people saying console games look great. They also compare the picture quality with OLED and the common consensus seems to be OLED has better color, contrast & no haloing in dark games, while Acer X27 is unbeatable in bright games

I got a PG27UQ coming tomorrow from newegg.

Ask me questions of stuff you guys want covered.
I don't have a colorimeter so any real specifics on color details or peak brightness will be out of the question.

I could potentially do a side by side comparison of the thing next to a PG279Q, an Alienware TN panel, and an OLED TV but not sure if it would be worth it as all I got is a cell phone vid camera. I think it can shoot in HDR though.

(And no, I refuse to see if hdr mode works in Fortnite with some edited config file because that game is terrible and you can probably get an answer to that question on a Fortnite specific forum where many people using HDR TVs as monitors probably have an answer to that. Even if HDR can be enabled, it probably looks terrible like PUBGs console hdr mode where textures were never optimized to take advantage of hdr and everything just looks really really dark).

Chewiie wrote:
I got a PG27UQ coming tomorrow from newegg.

Ask me questions of stuff you guys want covered.
I don't have a colorimeter so any real specifics on color details or peak brightness will be out of the question.

I could potentially do a side by side comparison of the thing next to a PG279Q, an Alienware TN panel, and an OLED TV but not sure if it would be worth it as all I got is a cell phone vid camera. I think it can shoot in HDR though.

(And no, I refuse to see if hdr mode works in Fortnite with some edited config file because that game is terrible and you can probably get an answer to that question on a Fortnite specific forum where many people using HDR TVs as monitors probably have an answer to that. Even if HDR can be enabled, it probably looks terrible like PUBGs console hdr mode where textures were never optimized to take advantage of hdr and everything just looks really really dark).

-I think most of my concerns are about how severe the haloing/blooming is when FALD & HDR are on. Please show some in-game extreme contrast scenario when a bright object is against a dark background (e.g. RE7, Outlast) and compare those with OLED, under both dark and brightly lit condition. See if the haloing is unnoticeable in brightly lit room. If you use cell phone camera pls check if you can lower the ISO closer to real life viewing before taking pictures or videos.

-Please turn on FALD in SDR games and compare with PG279Q to see if FALD brings any improvement or detriment to picture quality

-Compare HDR picture quality on the monitor vs OLED in general, under both dark and brightly lit condition. Any noticeable difference in color, contrast, brightness when you play games & watch movies?

-If you have consoles like PS4 Pro or Xbox One X, please connect it to the monitor and compare the HDR picture with OLED

-Other misc stuffs: do we need to turn on HDR in Windows to have HDR in games & movies? What is the best setting in monitor control panel & Nvidia control panel for SDR & HDR contents respectively?

Thanks in advance

deadchip12 wrote:
-I think most of my concerns are about how severe the haloing/blooming is when FALD & HDR are on. Please show some in-game extreme contrast scenario when a bright object is against a dark background (e.g. RE7, Outlast) and compare those with OLED, under both dark and brightly lit condition. See if the haloing is unnoticeable in brightly lit room. If you use cell phone camera pls check if you can lower the ISO closer to real life viewing before taking pictures or videos.

-Please turn on FALD in SDR games and compare with PG279Q to see if FALD brings any improvement or detriment to picture quality

-Compare HDR picture quality on the monitor vs OLED in general, under both dark and brightly lit condition. Any noticeable difference in color, contrast, brightness when you play games & watch movies?

-If you have consoles like PS4 Pro or Xbox One X, please connect it to the monitor and compare the HDR picture with OLED

-Other misc stuffs: do we need to turn on HDR in Windows to have HDR in games & movies? What is the best setting in monitor control panel & Nvidia control panel for SDR & HDR contents respectively?

Thanks in advance

I tried everything except the comparison with my Acer Xb27 - but i know it very well...

So here are my answers:

Yes you can see haloing even in SDR and in a lit room!
Not so much in the center of the screen, but more so if moving brighter objects in the edges of the screen...
Especially annoying when moving mousecursor into the edges, where the monitor had severe backlightbleed!
With Local Dimming OFF - this monitor looked worse than every other i had... the Local Dimming maskes the BLB!
So i recommend to keep it ON and don't care too much about the blooming - if you can get over it!

Picture with FALD ON is improved, i even had the impression, that the contrast is enhanced by something like a filter or so...
can't really tell what happens, but the image looks better with FALD ON! with FALD OFF it looked a bit bleach, and fine details got lost!

Comparing with OLED is easy:
colors, contrast and everything looks better on OLED -
the only thing this monitor takes the cake is in brightness...

Lights shining through open windows and sunlight over a scene looks more realistic with X27
it's just brighter and can hold this brightness stable, where OLED dims down after a few seconds...

but in every other aspect... OLED wins!
Imagine a dark scene with lots of stars in the sky...
on OLED this will look clear and fine detail pops - the stars glow in the dark...
on X27, these stars will look like our milkyway... lots of enhanced halos around them... to a point where the darkness is raised to a bleachy mass...
(you can see an example like this in the review from lims cave - these pictures are NOT exaggerated!)

you can see that in normal lit room and in pure darkness... (it just sticks out a bit more, if sitting in a dark room)

playing games and watching movies is fine - no matter if PS4pro via HDMI or PC via DP1.4...
HDR quality is good...
but you have to understand: IPS looks different than OLED, as it looks different from VA and TN!
it is like different technologies reproducing the same pictureinformation...
like playing the same song on two pianos...
it is different! you have to see it for yourself!

As for 'Switching ON HDR in windows'
YES - you need to do this, if you want to watch HDR movies...
DvDfab5 and VLC 3.0 don't notice, that your monitor is HDR capable, if this has not been done!
Also for many games you need to sitch this ON too...

Switching ON HDR ingame, without switching it on in windows has brought up some issues...
on the information panel of X27 it stayed at rec709/sRGB and (so it didn't change colorspace to rec2020) [tested with destiny]
on BF1 there is only a switch for HDR saying AUTO/OFF and a second switch HDR10/DolbyVision - if you don't switch HDR ON in windows - the autofunction in BF1 won't work...

settings in OSD:

for SDR:

brightness - 100 or more (as you like)
contrast - 50
SDR sRGB - ON
Local Dimming for SDR - ON
Local Dimming mode - GAMING
color temp - normal or warm (as you like)

everything else OFF!!! all other things do change the picture in a way you don't want....

for HDR:

brightness is not adjustable... (greyed out)
everything else LEAVE IT ALONE; stick with settings like in SDR!

Nvidia Control Panel:

4K 120hz 8bit RGB for desktop use
4K 120hz 8bit RGB for SDR gaming (gsync on if you like - will go up to 120hz)
4K 98hz 10bit RGB for HDR gaming (gsync on if you like - will go up to 98hz)
4K 24hz 8bit RGB for SDR movies
4K 24hz 10bit RGB for HDR movies

i don't think overclocking on this panel is good due to black crushing if chroma-subsampling is used...!
therefore - i don't recommend to use subsampling at all!

Sichtwechsel86 wrote:
I tried everything except the comparison with my Acer Xb27 - but i know it very well...

So here are my answers:

Yes you can see haloing even in SDR and in a lit room!
Not so much in the center of the screen, but more so if moving brighter objects in the edges of the screen...
Especially annoying when moving mousecursor into the edges, where the monitor had severe backlightbleed!
With Local Dimming OFF - this monitor looked worse than every other i had... the Local Dimming maskes the BLB!
So i recommend to keep it ON and don't care too much about the blooming - if you can get over it!

Picture with FALD ON is improved, i even had the impression, that the contrast is enhanced by something like a filter or so...
can't really tell what happens, but the image looks better with FALD ON! with FALD OFF it looked a bit bleach, and fine details got lost!

Comparing with OLED is easy:
colors, contrast and everything looks better on OLED -
the only thing this monitor takes the cake is in brightness...

Lights shining through open windows and sunlight over a scene looks more realistic with X27
it's just brighter and can hold this brightness stable, where OLED dims down after a few seconds...

but in every other aspect... OLED wins!
Imagine a dark scene with lots of stars in the sky...
on OLED this will look clear and fine detail pops - the stars glow in the dark...
on X27, these stars will look like our milkyway... lots of enhanced halos around them... to a point where the darkness is raised to a bleachy mass...
(you can see an example like this in the review from lims cave - these pictures are NOT exaggerated!)

you can see that in normal lit room and in pure darkness... (it just sticks out a bit more, if sitting in a dark room)

playing games and watching movies is fine - no matter if PS4pro via HDMI or PC via DP1.4...
HDR quality is good...
but you have to understand: IPS looks different than OLED, as it looks different from VA and TN!
it is like different technologies reproducing the same pictureinformation...
like playing the same song on two pianos...
it is different! you have to see it for yourself!

As for 'Switching ON HDR in windows'
YES - you need to do this, if you want to watch HDR movies...
DvDfab5 and VLC 3.0 don't notice, that your monitor is HDR capable, if this has not been done!
Also for many games you need to sitch this ON too...

Switching ON HDR ingame, without switching it on in windows has brought up some issues...
on the information panel of X27 it stayed at rec709/sRGB and (so it didn't change colorspace to rec2020) [tested with destiny]
on BF1 there is only a switch for HDR saying AUTO/OFF and a second switch HDR10/DolbyVision - if you don't switch HDR ON in windows - the autofunction in BF1 won't work...

settings in OSD:

for SDR:

brightness - 100 or more (as you like)
contrast - 50
SDR sRGB - ON
Local Dimming for SDR - ON
Local Dimming mode - GAMING
color temp - normal or warm (as you like)

everything else OFF!!! all other things do change the picture in a way you don't want....

for HDR:

brightness is not adjustable... (greyed out)
everything else LEAVE IT ALONE; stick with settings like in SDR!

Nvidia Control Panel:

4K 120hz 8bit RGB for desktop use
4K 120hz 8bit RGB for SDR gaming (gsync on if you like - will go up to 120hz)
4K 98hz 10bit RGB for HDR gaming (gsync on if you like - will go up to 98hz)
4K 24hz 8bit RGB for SDR movies
4K 24hz 10bit RGB for HDR movies

i don't think overclocking on this panel is good due to black crushing if chroma-subsampling is used...!
therefore - i don't recommend to use subsampling at all!

Thanks for the very detailed answer. It disappoints me a bit the picture quality cannot match OLED, which makes it very hard for me to decide whether to purchase this monitor or an OLED tv. OLED burn-in & auto brightness limiter is a big no-go for me though. If only Z9D came in at 55 inch size I would have purchased it right away.

Just wondering: why do you need to set 24hz in control panel for movies? Won't Gsync just sync the monitor refresh rate to match the source video? I think we can just leave the monitor at either 98Hz or 120/144Hz while watching movies. Also, will something weird happen if we set the monitor to 10 bit and watch SDR movies?