cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pg27uq

Neon_Lights
Level 7
MarshallR wrote:
Just checked: PG27 production starts now in May, so mid/late May/early June for first markets depending on how it's being shipped.

Not sure X series yet. It's often mostly waiting for mass-production of panel availability and/or mass production to meet a certain quality standard.

For the record: Monitors don't wait for graphics cards. They just launch on their own schedule.*

My original post:

https://www.inet.se/produkt/2210502/acer-27-predator-x27-4k-144hz-hdr-g-sync-quantum-dot

On this retailer site, the Acer Predator X27 is listed as to be shipped April 5th. Because ASUS usually release their version a little earlier than Acer/the other manufacturers, it is likely that the PG27UQ will be released (assuming that shipping date is correct) during March, this would also still stick to the Q1 2018 release window.

For reference, see the posts in this thread:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1620061/vc-asus-announces-swift-pg27uq-4k-ips-144hz-g-sync-hdr-monitor/10...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1620061/vc-asus-announces-swift-pg27uq-4k-ips-144hz-g-sync-hdr-monitor/11...
1,676 REPLIES 1,676

KOT0005
Level 7
OSD https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=-1JmcOzFQ2M

AMD is getting on too, he says more hdr pc games r coming..

nest
Level 9
First expirience.

Game HDR visuals stunning, BF1 is jaw dropping, Destiny2, AC: O, MassEffect.
HDR ingame/alttab switching OK.
HDR movies (Batman vs Superman, 73GB 4k 10bpp hdr rip, MPC-HC + MadVR, HDR passthrough) is fckin amazing.
Display modes as stated before (10bpp, RGB, 98Hz,...)
Win10 scaling 150% everything I tested OK, some old "WinXP" programs, exotic electro DTP.
Fan is audible close to back of the monitor in quiet room. No realworld problem, but not for audio studio.
Fan is working cca 10min after power-down.
SDR gaming - I see ****ing everything. I see in the dark, everything is sooo smooth thanks the gsync. Even mass effect on 4k! miracle.
Somebody said halo effects? Yes, sometimes on game menus. Funny thing is that artifical monitor-generated amipoint is creating mild halo too, on full dark area (Escape from tarkov night maps). I dont give a sh*t.

Problems:
When is SDR picture mode (monitor pre-select), you cannot modify brightness, which is too high.
When auto-brightness is set, brightness is too low.
NO USB HUB. Its actually there, but only under the cable lid. Asus, seriously? Two lasers, RGB, - and no USB connectors on the side? Heh, nevermind.

nest wrote:

HDR movies (Batman vs Superman, 73GB 4k 10bpp hdr rip, MPC-HC + MadVR, HDR passthrough) is fckin amazing.

Sorry if you have time do you mind testing HDR movies run on Movies & TV App, VLC 3.0 and DVDFab Media Player 5? Just want to know which one can output true HDR and Dolby Atmos.

deadchip12 wrote:
Sorry if you have time do you mind testing HDR movies run on Movies & TV App, VLC 3.0 and DVDFab Media Player 5? Just want to know which one can output true HDR and Dolby Atmos.

As I said, I am using MPC-HC with MadVR renderer set to passthrough HDR. This is the only app-combo I know able to pass HDR rips. Audio depends on your audio output system. I dont have any tv app, or netflix . I will not touch VLC or DVDFab even with 3 meter insulated stick using rubber gloves, sorry.

Anyway, HDR works. Of course, MPC is not yet able to switch HDR mode itself, its necessary to do it manually.

deadchip12 wrote:

I can tell you that i didn't saw any difference between VLC 3.x and DvDfab5 using Sony Camp Fire Demo Video in HDR!
It works just fine and looked equal to what i expected after watching it on my OLED...
but i kind of use DvDfab5 now for every video i have - because the settings are much more simple and intuitive,
while VLC has a lot of stuff to change within the settings and i really don't understand the half of it!
+ bitstream via optical and hdmi to my audiotech works fine with DvDfab5, while VLC 3.x is disturbed by windows-settings...
DvDfab5 just works!

of course OLED is superior in terms of color, contrast, etc... but i meant: it didn't look off/wrong on Acer X27 with VLC3.0 and DVDfab5
DvDFab5 can output dolby atmos via bitstream... but you have to use ULTRA version
sadly the german language track on most movies is NOT Dolby Atmos - but instead DD5.1 or DTS5.1
so it is (for now) rare to get Dolby Atmos tracks in german...

and i prefer to watch movies and series in german...
it kind of helps me to relax, while watching movies in a foreign language keeps my head busy...
which is not what i want when i have leasure time!
aaand... - often i even can't understand what some people say, because they talk unclear and mumble...
worst case scenario - SNATCH - i don't get any word from Brad Pitt and have issues with dialects in this movie... 😄

For the guy who is asking if fortnite HDR is working properly...

last time i played fortnite (and i just played it ONCE! during last week, when i tested the Acer x27!)
there was NO OPTION for switching on/off HDR ingame!
and linus mentioned, that fortnite does not support HDR on pc...

maybe that changed or will change some day...

even on Xbox One X it does NOT support HDR

link: https://www.xbox.com/de-DE/games/xbox-one/xbox-one-x-enhanced-list

it is enhanced for Xbox 1 X to support higher fps and 4K resoultion, but not HDR

Day 3 update if you use oc mode for 144hz you will get crushing blacks in sdr. This is the panel so it is the same on both x27 and PG27UQ. I've been using 120 and it looks just fine in sdr and hdr so far very nice, I have not been bothered in the slightest with 422. But I did spend time jumping between 98hz and 120 in hdr both look great.

Twinkies
Level 7
If anyone gets the chance can they see if the monitor supports 1440p @ 144hz?

deadchip12
Level 7
Miniled panels shipped in Q4 2018??? Is that shockingly soon? $5000 lol? **https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180619PD201.html

deadchip12 wrote:
Miniled panels shipped in Q4 2018??? Is that shockingly soon? $5000 lol? **https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180619PD201.html

As i said in the overclock-forum... everything will now go fast and using miniLEDs after GSync HDR is out is just a next step -
if they really release MiniLED GSync HDR monitors by the end of this year -
then i highly recommend WAIT FOR IT...

yes - Acer x27 and PG27uq look fine FOR NOW...
but there is much room for improvements!
especially in the dimming-zones!
384 zones JUST IS NOT ENOUGH...

it helps with getting good contrast...

but the zones are just to big to do justice to small light-points...

like stars in a dark sky...
or street laterns in front of a dark background...
or whatever you could imagine...
in these cases haloing is induced, because the light-points are smaller then the actual dimming zones are!

and the more light-points on a dark background you have - the more haloing will occure!

for these scenarios microLED and OLED and real QD are the only solution!
but with miniLED and 1000 zones - it will get closer to ideal!

Acer X27 and PG27UQ are just NOT GOOD ENOUGH to fullfill the needs of complex scenes with dark and light next to each other...
a dense starfield in a dark sky will look just as if you have raised your brightness to 100% because every dimming zone will be activated!
so the perceived blacl-level is raised and the image looks bleach and less vibrant...

i watched Jessica Jones on X27 and there where many shots in a city at night...
traffic lights and so on...
and a dark area in the upper screen area...
where the traffic lights are, the black level raised, every zone was emitting bright light, haloing occured to a point where it looked like clouding...
and the upper screen was pitch black...
yes - the traffic lights looked vibrant, but the cloud around them was just reducing the impression!

Sichtwechsel86 wrote:
As i said in the overclock-forum... everything will now go fast and using miniLEDs after GSync HDR is out is just a next step -
if they really release MiniLED GSync HDR monitors by the end of this year -
then i highly recommend WAIT FOR IT...

yes - Acer x27 and PG27uq look fine FOR NOW...
but there is much room for improvements!
especially in the dimming-zones!
384 zones JUST IS NOT ENOUGH...

it helps with getting good contrast...

but the zones are just to big to do justice to small light-points...

like stars in a dark sky...
or street laterns in front of a dark background...
or whatever you could imagine...
in these cases haloing is induced, because the light-points are smaller then the actual dimming zones are!

and the more light-points on a dark background you have - the more haloing will occure!

for these scenarios microLED and OLED and real QD are the only solution!
but with miniLED and 1000 zones - it will get closer to ideal!

Acer X27 and PG27UQ are just NOT GOOD ENOUGH to fullfill the needs of complex scenes with dark and light next to each other...
a dense starfield in a dark sky will look just as if you have raised your brightness to 100% because every dimming zone will be activated!
so the perceived blacl-level is raised and the image looks bleach and less vibrant...

i watched Jessica Jones on X27 and there where many shots in a city at night...
traffic lights and so on...
and a dark area in the upper screen area...
where the traffic lights are, the black level raised, every zone was emitting bright light, haloing occured to a point where it looked like clouding...
and the upper screen was pitch black...
yes - the traffic lights looked vibrant, but the cloud around them was just reducing the impression!

Honestly I don't think the number of dimming zones is the only culprit here. 384 is supposed to be A LOT for a 27 inch monitor compared to most TVs out there, yet this monitor cannot outperform them in HDR performance and eliminate blooming/haloing. 65-inch Z9D has "only" 600 zones and it almost has no blooming from what I read. X94E only has 256 zones and very minimal blooming. Hell, from Lim's Cave review it seems like even XE93 has less blooming than this monitor, and that TV is edge-lit. FREAKING EDGE-LIT?!!!

It is the IPS panel! FREAKING IPS man! Maybe we should have gone for VA panel for this kind of hdr monitors.

Also the FALD algorithm is important. I heard Sony is the best in the business when it comes to this. If only they make monitors...