cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pg27uq

Neon_Lights
Level 7
MarshallR wrote:
Just checked: PG27 production starts now in May, so mid/late May/early June for first markets depending on how it's being shipped.

Not sure X series yet. It's often mostly waiting for mass-production of panel availability and/or mass production to meet a certain quality standard.

For the record: Monitors don't wait for graphics cards. They just launch on their own schedule.*

My original post:

https://www.inet.se/produkt/2210502/acer-27-predator-x27-4k-144hz-hdr-g-sync-quantum-dot

On this retailer site, the Acer Predator X27 is listed as to be shipped April 5th. Because ASUS usually release their version a little earlier than Acer/the other manufacturers, it is likely that the PG27UQ will be released (assuming that shipping date is correct) during March, this would also still stick to the Q1 2018 release window.

For reference, see the posts in this thread:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1620061/vc-asus-announces-swift-pg27uq-4k-ips-144hz-g-sync-hdr-monitor/10...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1620061/vc-asus-announces-swift-pg27uq-4k-ips-144hz-g-sync-hdr-monitor/11...
1,676 REPLIES 1,676

Hi Marshal, is there a MSRP for these yet? are you not allowed to talk about the price? Is the $3000euro price correct? are they paceholder prices ?

Dont u think 3000Euros is a bit too much for a 27inch with 2nd class specs ?

KOT0005 wrote:
Hi Marshal, is there a MSRP for these yet? are you not allowed to talk about the price? Is the $3000euro price correct? are they paceholder prices ?

Dont u think 3000Euros is a bit too much for a 27inch with 2nd class specs ?

Asus already said it PG27UQ will cost €2499 however there are some retailers selling them for less now. (Pre order)
ASUS Z270 Maximus IX Formula / i7-7700K 4.5GHz / ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 TUF GAMING OC / ASUS PG27UQ / 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz @ CL 14 / Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB / Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB / Seagate 12 TB BarraCuda Pro Helium / LG BH16NS55 / Corsair AX1200i / Window 10 Pro 64-Bit

just found out about this monitor today 4k 144 hz hdr pricing is over 2500 $ Canadian ......... ill stick with my pg279q lol
Rig # 1 - 14900K SP-115 | 87 MC @ 6.0 GHZ | 5.1 R | 4.5 E | DDR5 48GB @ 8,400 c36 | Strix RTX 4090 | XG27AQN 1440P 27" 360 Hz G-Sync ULMB 2

Rig # 2 - 13900KS-SP-120 | 80 MC @ 5.8 GHZ | 5.0 R | 4.5 E | DDR4 32GB @ 4,300 c15 | Strix RTX 3080 | Aoc 1080P 25" 240 Hz G-Sync

bass junkie xl wrote:
just found out about this monitor today 4k 144 hz hdr pricing is over 2500 $ Canadian ......... ill stick with my pg279q lol

Err, while "over" can of course mean anything, 2500 CAD would only be like 1600 EUR.. that seems too cheap actually. Expect like 3000 CAD as lower boundary.

deadchip12 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't color a big part of HDR? If we can see a larger color spaces on PA32UC along with full 10-bit, isn't its HDR capability better than PG27UQ's in this aspect (though PG27UQ may be better in other aspects like FALD)?

It is dependent on brightness and the professional PA will offer a wider color gamut than PG

--------------

Let's try to be understanding of what can and can't be done, though. I don't understand it could be called 2nd class given it's the first 4K 144Hz monitor with HDR capability, DCI-P3, FLAD and premium G-Sync all thrown in - that's more than everything in any other gaming monitor, bar size (until the 35" arrives). What other panel could combine super-wide color with that res and that speed? It's not simply a game of picking out specs because somethings are mutually exclusive with current technologies. The HDR (display) ecosystem is in its infancy on PC (even though we've had HDRR since DX9.0c/SM3.0).

MarshallR wrote:
It is dependent on brightness and the professional PA will offer a wider color gamut than PG

I don't understand how you can call the first 4K 144Hz monitor with HDR capabilit, 90% DCI-P3, FLAD and premium G-Sync all thrown in, 2nd class..? What other panel could combine super-wide color with that res and that speed? What you're asking for simply doesn't exist and may not for some time.

Yes exactly. One shouldn’t expect a gaming monitor to display colour like a professional photography monitor.*
ASUS Z270 Maximus IX Formula / i7-7700K 4.5GHz / ASUS NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 TUF GAMING OC / ASUS PG27UQ / 64 GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz @ CL 14 / Samsung 960 Pro 512 GB / Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB / Seagate 12 TB BarraCuda Pro Helium / LG BH16NS55 / Corsair AX1200i / Window 10 Pro 64-Bit

briansu wrote:
Yes exactly. One shouldn’t expect a gaming monitor to display colour like a professional photography monitor.*

DCI-P3 is 25% more than sRGB, and most of the gaming monitors still quote relative to that or NTSC. Correct me if I'm wrong but to my knowledge the best color gamut on any gaming/G-Sync monitor and the first with QD on gaming. You don't want to game on a PA - I know, I do. It's very slowwwww
Unfortunately QD, FALD/HDR, high frequency panels - are all expensive additions. FALD and 4K/fast panels will come down in price progressively as volumes and manufacturing efficiencies improve, but QD .. not sure. It's not "new" but the films are respectively pretty costly still to my knowledge.

MarshallR wrote:
DCI-P3 is 25% more than sRGB, and most of the gaming monitors still quote relative to that or NTSC. Correct me if I'm wrong but to my knowledge the best color gamut on any gaming/G-Sync monitor and the first with QD on gaming.
Unfortunately QD, FALD/HDR, high frequency panels - are all expensive additions.

I know you can't comment on price at this time but please try to share the feedback internally that pricing needs to be in line otherwise the monitor loses its appeal. $2,000+ is getting into the range of nice OLED 55"-65".

Given those price points, I'd rather upgrade my TV than 27" monitor.

If the price must be 2K+, please release a 4k 100Hz non-FALD but still HDR monitor for us peasants.

btrach144 wrote:
I know you can't comment on price at this time but please try to share the feedback internally that pricing needs to be in line otherwise the monitor loses its appeal. $2,000+ is getting into the range of nice OLED 55"-65".

If the price must be 2K+, please release a 4k 100Hz non-FALD but still HDR monitor for us peasants.

A TV isn't a gaming monitor, though. You've immediately added 20-40ms latency because the TV manuf DGAF about responsiveness, only media playback. And, of course, there's no G-Sync, which is a central point to the PG otherwise there are cheaper 4K HDR alternatives. The thing about G-Sync is it's not just switching on VRR - it's a deep R&D effort to tune the scaler/display for best results and min-lag. That's why it's still a premium because the effort is heavily development intensive.

There are other fast 4K monitors in various stages of consideration/development, because the PG27 is the first of this new wave. It's early days and the sales/review/consumer feedback, as well as what panels can be made will all be considered.

That's good feedback for fast 4K/HDR but non-FALD. I think FALD is a given because of the way HDR is peak brightness on a certain point on the display. If you ever used dynamic brightness on TVs/displays with global backlight it's an even worse experience because the whole scene goes bright and dark, but these displays only changed ~100/200 nits at most. Now imagine the whole display goes from ~120 to 1000(!) nits it'll blow your eyeballs. Point, peak brightness is different - more nuanced. However fast 4K/SDR will almost certainly happen as a natural progression of 4K tech. Then you can use up to 144 without having to worry about Chroma-subsampling or waiting for future DP/HDMI standards.

btrach144 wrote:

Correct me if I’m wrong, it’s not possible to have HDR without FALD or OLED. The latter is far better but more expensive.*

This is the reason iPhone 8 doesn’t have a HDR screen but iPhone X does.

OLED is the best tech. FALD is a compromise but can still achieve HDR due to localised dimming. FALD is a lot cheaper than OLED.