cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG27AQ - constant flickering and black screen

Ruttiger343
Level 7
Hi all

Yesterday I posted a problem with being stuck at 30Hz on my brand new ASUS PG27AQ. I solved it by changing the refresh rate setting at Windows.

Now however a much bigger problem had come up: after I opened my case to do some dusting-cleaning, I plugged back my monitor and - to my horror - the monitor starts flickering every second between desktop and black screen.

It is now simply unusable and might even cause epilepsy if anyone looks at it for more than 5 minutes.

I think this may be a g-sync problem, or just a faulty monitor, because I'm using my old Samsung to type this post and it is working perfectly (which means my graphics card and DP cable are also fine).

Any help is most appreciated.
7 REPLIES 7

Ruttiger343
Level 7
[SOLVED]

Turns out I had to change my machine's power option at the control panel (from Balanced to High Performance) in order for the monitor to be able to consistently detect the output from my graphics card's display port output.

Knowing how these things behave, however, I won't be surprised if the monitor decides to die on me again in a few hours' time...

Janne-71
Level 7
I have pg279q and it seems to work fine with balanced Windows power plan...not sure why yours won't. Yours is 4k though but should not be that different.

Ruttiger343
Level 7
Thanks Janne-71 - I don't know why either, and even now it will still random go black and come back again. But then it could also has something to do with the power sockets in my room, or even my PC's power supply (a Corsair 850W with 2 GTX980@ SLI which should be enough juice but probably just about enough)...

Oh well, that's just the way electronics are...

I think you should investigate this issue, not just leave it "that's how electronics are". You paid a good price for that monitor it should work as expected. If your sli has worked with other monitors before i don't see why it should not work with this one either. Also the monitor has it's own powersupply.
Also it's quite strange that this monitor side of forum doesn't have a "support person" that knows a lot about these monitors, all the other forums seems to have experts answering questions and helping with trouble. For example rog motherboard forums.

Ruttiger343
Level 7
I know and I agree with you - the thought of having paid so much (and those of us living here in HK do pay more because the retailers generally do not have a large number of this range of product in stock) for a supposedly high-end product, but having to worry about it dying each time I turn on my PC is not ideal at all.

Before I stumbled upon the "solution", I had tried everything and deduced that the monitor itself is probably working fine, because I could use it using HDMI with no problems - other than it being stuck at 24Hz which defeats the point of me investing in SLI!

It was when I found Googled "monitor cannot defect DP signal" that I decided to change the Windows power option.

So, all things considered, my deduction so far (and really I am hoping) is that the monitor is fine, and it could be because (1) my power supply does not consistenly produce enough voltage to ensure my video card can deliver a strong enough signal (which kind of makes sense but it also sounds like rubbish), or (2) worse yet, my apartment's power supply is not strong enough to supply enough voltage.

Anyway, yes I do agree there is a conspicuous absence of a dedicated ASUS tech support expert to address our queries. I used to had questions to relating to my ASUS motherboard and fan speed, but the ROG forums over there received much more attention and prompt feedback from ASUS.

Janne-71
Level 7
You can test this power source thing easily. Break the sli bond and remove the other card for while and then test again. That should lower your power consumption a lot. That way testing you atleast will rule out or confirm power source/sli of the problem cause. Unless the power source really sucks and is the same with 1 gpu also. But try.

I've read a good power source is a must thing...i don't know the exact class of yours but i have read some bad things about some models of corsair.
Got Seasonics p-760 myself it's been solid so far.

Ruttiger343
Level 7
Thanks - yes I tried using just 1 video card before I changed the power setting, and the flickering still occurred, so I guess indeed it is the Windows power setting that did the trick for me.

I suppose I will research a bit more on this.