cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG279Q monitor connect issue

teichu72
Level 7
Hello ,

Just got my new PG279Q but have question about the installation , I am currently plug HDMI cable and displayport cable together on PG279Q with video card and my question is do I have to plug both in order to have screen ? cuz if I unplug the HDMI cable only leave the cable hook up with displayport and then it turns out no screen when I attempt to turn on the pc , my previous Acer XB270HU only need display port connect with video card and works flawlessy , now I have to connect HDMI and displayport on my graphic card in order to have screen on PG279Q , is this normal?

Thanks
17,013 Views
8 REPLIES 8

Korth
Level 14
You only need one video input connected. DisplayPort is better than HDMI.

If you connect both then you'll need to switch between DP/HDMI output on your video card (through software), you may need to switch between DP/HDMI inputs (on your monitor) if it doesn't autodetect.

Better to disconnect the one (ahem, HDMI) you're not using and only use the other one (ahem, DP) which offers better performance and quality. Multiple output and input types are provided only to increase compatibility when pairing GPUs/monitors which don't support more advanced connectivity, or for output to multiple displays, or for switched input beween multiple video sources.

You shouldn't need to switch input types at bootup. Although (now that your GPU drivers have detected both types) you may need to explicitly set the one you want active, you even need to uninstall/reinstall GPU driver software, you probably have to reboot once or twice for your preferences to persist.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
You only need one video input connected. DisplayPort is better than HDMI.

If you connect both then you'll need to switch between DP/HDMI output on your video card (through software), you may need to switch between DP/HDMI inputs (on your monitor) if it doesn't autodetect.

Better to disconnect the one (ahem, HDMI) you're not using and only use the other one (ahem, DP) which offers better performance and quality. Multiple output and input types are provided only to increase compatibility when pairing GPUs/monitors which don't support more advanced connectivity, or for output to multiple displays, or for switched input beween multiple video sources.

You shouldn't need to switch input types at bootup. Although (now that your GPU drivers have detected both types) you may need to explicitly set the one you want active, you even need to uninstall/reinstall GPU driver software, you probably have to reboot once or twice for your preferences to persist.


Hi Korth,
Cuz right now if i connect witn display port then screen becomes no signal at all , only if connect HDMI will work , do u have any idea whats the issue ? Becuase my previous monitor Acer xb270hu didnt have this problem , i can just connect to displayport and boots pc without any issue, but only PG279Q has no signal if i connect to displayport .... this could be monitor issue?
*

Korth wrote:
You only need one video input connected. DisplayPort is better than HDMI.

If you connect both then you'll need to switch between DP/HDMI output on your video card (through software), you may need to switch between DP/HDMI inputs (on your monitor) if it doesn't autodetect.

Better to disconnect the one (ahem, HDMI) you're not using and only use the other one (ahem, DP) which offers better performance and quality. Multiple output and input types are provided only to increase compatibility when pairing GPUs/monitors which don't support more advanced connectivity, or for output to multiple displays, or for switched input beween multiple video sources.

You shouldn't need to switch input types at bootup. Although (now that your GPU drivers have detected both types) you may need to explicitly set the one you want active, you even need to uninstall/reinstall GPU driver software, you probably have to reboot once or twice for your preferences to persist.


Hi Korth,

Btw how can i switch to DP if monitor not autodectect? Is there any menu or option on the monitor i can make adjust? Thanks*

Korth
Level 14
Page 3-4 of this PG279Q User Guide shows how to change the "Input Select" setting with the On-Screen Display (OSD) Menu.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Page 3-4 of this PG279Q User Guide shows how to change the "Input Select" setting with the On-Screen Display (OSD) Menu.


hi korth,
*Thanks for the information, isnt it supposed to be autodetect for most monitor if connect to DP? Cuz my *previous acer xb270hu doesnt need to do any adjustment, just connect to the DP and screen shows up instantly when pc boots , only PG279Q need manually switch to DP to get signal work? Just wondering*

Korth
Level 14
I don't know what the PG279Q is supposed to do automatically. Nor the XB270HU. Never used either.

I would expect it to autodetect changed signal source when powered on, and to remember the setting for next time. You'll figure it out through the OSD and know more about that monitor than I do, lol.

An underspec and uncertified DP cable might cause strange errors, though I doubt it, especially if it worked perfectly on another monitor.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
I don't know what the PG279Q is supposed to do automatically. Nor the XB270HU. Never used either.

I would expect it to autodetect changed signal source when powered on, and to remember the setting for next time. You'll figure it out through the OSD and know more about that monitor than I do, lol.

An underspec and uncertified DP cable might cause strange errors, though I doubt it, especially if it worked perfectly on another monitor.


No the PG279Q is not auto connect (or at least mine isnt). You must select your input method manually.
Select Display Port once, then your good to go

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi teichu72,

Just press the 5-way navigational joystick and go to input select.
_____________________________________________________________
FPS, Racing, and VR Gamer / Tech Enthusiast / ROG Admin