cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG279Q best option?

somuchtime
Level 7
Hi, I've noticed a lot of buyer's guides dubbing the PG279Q as the current best gaming monitor...

https://elitegamingcomputers.com/best-gaming-monitors/
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-gaming-monitors/
http://www.pcgamesn.com/best-gaming-monitor

But am I correct in assuming that it's kind of a case-by-case type of thing, where the PG279Q is the best monitor for some gamers but not others? I have a large budget and I do play a lot of FPS games, so the refresh rate will be nice... but I'm not so competitive to where if I don't have a 165Hz refresh it will hinder the progress of my eSports career 😕

And, I know there is a 4K 144Hz monitor coming soon... worth the wait? Or is the release of that monitor far enough away to where it wouldn't be worth waiting for?

I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance in jumping off the cliff and getting this monitor!
5 REPLIES 5

cljustin
Level 8
This monitor is great and I've heard a lot of great things about it. The only downside is getting the "perfect" one. Some individuals are really picky with IPS Glow, but that is just the nature of the technology. I would get it, but if you cannot deal with IPS Glow, then a PG278Q is a great choice as well, considering it has a 1ms response time and you play FPS.

cljustin wrote:
This monitor is great and I've heard a lot of great things about it. The only downside is getting the "perfect" one. Some individuals are really picky with IPS Glow, but that is just the nature of the technology. I would get it, but if you cannot deal with IPS Glow, then a PG278Q is a great choice as well, considering it has a 1ms response time and you play FPS.

Okay... hmmmm... that makes sense. Might have to go with the PG278Q, then, for the faster response time.

Thanks for your response and your help!

cljustin wrote:

This is incorrect information.
While the panel response time might be better, the response time of the monitor is exactly the same.
This is because the PG278Q has twice as much input lag, which makes the response between the two monitors equal.

Choose PG279Q if you can deal with IPS glow and panel lottery (BLB).
Choose PG278Q if the dithering artifacts do not bother you. Here is what it looks like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU7p2j-FC28. Dell monitor, but same panel as the PG278Q. Another one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgdoPVPfTNY - note the blob on the wheel. It's even more noticeable IRL.

JustinThyme
Level 13
The IPS glow is the only thing of any concern. Some folks probably never noticed it then read about it and once they saw it its an issue. Mine has a small amount of glow but I only see it when the machine is booting on a black screen. After that I don't notice it in gaming, movies, photoshop, adobe premiere etc. Or you can use anything that will give you a black screen and dial the brightness all the way up. Basically running it way out from where you are actully using it just to have something to complain about.

The P278 is decent but you lose viewing angle and color gamut.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Crashcourse316
Level 9
The only time I might think about getting the 4K at 144hz is when they have a single card that can run the better games on ultra at 4k 100+fps. I'm running an OC'ed GTX 1080 and the pg279Q and it runs everything max usually between 100-165fps at 1440p resolution in multiplayer game modes. Singleplayer tends to be a bit lower around 70-100fps. Going up to 4k look at the benchmarks for whatever card you plan on having for now. See if they even make it up to 144hz on the style games you want to play.

As long as you don't get a 279q that has a more severe issue, I personally would stick with the 279 over the 278. The in-game experience with this monitor just seems better than a TN panel. As long as your not going hardcore competitive gaming and needing the perfect 1ms response time of the display (I think this one benchmarked at 8ms) I think this monitor provides the best experience overall.

another tip. whatever you buy, get it locally at a retailer near you if you can. Makes it easier if you have a dead pixel or something else dumb to just exchange.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.