cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[PG248Q] Is this normal?

Kuishi
Level 7
Hi there, I bought the PG248Q a couple of days ago and when I plugged it in for the first time the gamma was waaaaaaay off. You could describe it as if there was a constant white fog/filter on the screen. Also when watching videos and playing games I was having serious colour banding ONLY on dark areas, like they look like a pixelated mess.

Installing the ICC profile from the support website and adjusting the colour calibration on my Nvidia control panel fixed this partly but not completely. When using built-in W10 calibration the gamma was still way off like I had to put the gamma slider all the way to the max and it still was not enough.

After 3 days of calibrating my screen its starting to look a bit decent now, the pixelation on the darker areas on my screen are 90% gone but still noticeable....
Picture here

My settings right now on the monitor: Im using a DisplayPort on a Geforce 970gtx with updated drivers. Using this website to calibrate my monitor.
160hz (viewing on 144hz or any mode just gives the same problems)
Brightness 10
Contrast 50
Color Temp Normal
Gamma: 2.5 (2.2 is not dark enough)
All other settings are Default

Nvidia Panel settings:
Full RGB output obviously
Brightness and Contrast on Default
Gamma +0,89

Am I doing something wrong? Is there a problem with the monitor or my videocard?
Also Im having some kind of backlight glow on the lower right of my screen.
Pictures: 144hz and 160hz.

edit: just checked the Gradient on this website and the gradient is not showing as smooth as it should be.
121 REPLIES 121

Well you are talking about expectations. All I was expecting was:
G-sync - checked working great;
144 hz -checked working great;
180 hz - lanes start to appear going from top to bottom :mad: ;
TN panel -checked not the best colors but hey reaction time for fps games is what mattered more for me;

To be honest the ONLY fault with this monitor is that they didn't calibrate it right. I wouldn't mind doing little adjust here and there but it is not little to be honest. Calibrating device would help that is true but good one cost the same as the monitor and hiring one is (in Poland) 1/10 of a price of this monitor that is already in higher price bracket than regular monitors.

I think that the problem is in the factory. My screen is from July and it is not that bad but many many August ones are crap. They should calibrate/service their calibration devices a bit more and more often. . .

TheIslander wrote:
Well you are talking about expectations. All I was expecting was:
G-sync - checked working great;
144 hz -checked working great;
180 hz - lanes start to appear going from top to bottom :mad: ;
TN panel -checked not the best colors but hey reaction time for fps games is what mattered more for me;

To be honest the ONLY fault with this monitor is that they didn't calibrate it right. I wouldn't mind doing little adjust here and there but it is not little to be honest. Calibrating device would help that is true but good one cost the same as the monitor and hiring one is (in Poland) 1/10 of a price of this monitor that is already in higher price bracket than regular monitors.

I think that the problem is in the factory. My screen is from July and it is not that bad but many many August ones are crap. They should calibrate/service their calibration devices a bit more and more often. . .

Hej TheIslander,

Can you check the following for me, just to make sure my monitor is not 'broken' ?

- Set your monitor to 144Hz
- Enable G-sync in nvidia control panel
- Disable V-sync in nvidia control panel
- Set your graphics options in BF-1 so that you get between 120 - 144 fps or if you get higher fps limit the framerate in the console to 140 "gametime.maxvariablefps 140"
- In CS:GO make sure your fps is above 144 fps than limit the framerate in the console to 140 "fps_max 140"
- Watch for tearing in BF-1 or CS:GO in the bottom half of the screen while strafing left and right
=> this way you force the game to output 140 fps and you can check whether G-SYNC works (in the range were it supposed to work, below 144 hz) without V-sync active

TheIslander wrote:
180 hz - lanes start to appear going from top to bottom :mad: ; .
=> did you try reducing the refresh rate in small steps like I did (see my thread) ?

I have done a shoot with CS:GO.
All graphics maxed fps_max 140 no tearing at all moving slowly or fast (135-140 fps while moving mouse) I also have changed to 180 hz and scan line is gone ^^ (maybe cos monitor is running since 5 hours stright and is warm and cosy?) also fps_max 176 had no tears at all while moving fps were between 160-170 stationary 176.

TheIslander wrote:
I have done a shoot with CS:GO.
All graphics maxed fps_max 140 no tearing at all moving slowly or fast (135-140 fps while moving mouse) I also have changed to 180 hz and scan line is gone ^^ (maybe cos monitor is running since 5 hours stright and is warm and cosy?) also fps_max 176 had no tears at all while moving fps were between 160-170 stationary 176.

Thx for helping me mate !!!

You did test with V-SYNC explicitly OFF in the nvidia control panel, right ?

On my monitor the scan lines come and go. Sometimes they are present at 144Hz or 180Hz, the other time they are back ...

V sync off in nvidia panel and double checked off in cs also. Try to take off your dp cable blow through it and put it back again I found out that mine wasn't fully in gpu (wasn't clicked into place) so maybe that was part of the issue if you need I can run any other tests on:
CS:GO;
Overwatch;
Diablo 3;
Lol;
and many others.
My pc specs are:
I5- 4460
8gb ram
Msi Gtx 1060 gaming X (tested without O.C. cos it wasn't needed and this one hits rly high numbers if needed)
nvidia driver 378.57
also in nvidia panel I have changed:
refresh rate from app controlled to highest possible and I have (rog pg248q) in brackets;
multiscreen changed to one screen;
vsync obviously off
gsync on
Rest untouched as they were after clicking default

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to8yh83jlXg

This Intro looks like this on my monitor:

Another problem is, that on a white screen the top of my screen looks yellow. 😞

I have tried a lot of settings, but it did not went off.

PS: manufactured September 2016]

Dmitriy957
Level 7
Heronimus

The only way to reduce the lvl of yellow top is set color temperature to Normal in monitor settings. This is the only way. There is nothing you can do with color banding. It's only can be fixed by AUO. I don't understand why this issue exist but not only PG248Q sufffering from color banding. We all must ask AUO why this broblem still persist!

I am also having the same issues described in this thread. Very disappointing considering the amount of money spent. Do we know if all batches are affected? I can't imagine they are given the very positive reviews online.

Most reviews (of any sort) were made on pre production/ early ones so I bet they were decent back then . . .

Bahz
Level 12
For those who are experiencing the color banding issue, one user said he was able to temporarily fix the issue by changing the display settings to Nvidia settings.

1) Open Nvidia Control Panel
2) Go to Video
3) Adjust Video Colour > Set this on use nvidia settings
4) Adjust Video Colour > Tab Advanced > Dynamic Range > set this on limited
5) Adjust Video Image > Set this on use nvidia settings
6) Click on "Apply"

Can anyone else try this and report back if it also temporarily fixed the issue for you? I was later updated that the solution stopped working. Right now I just want to gather back more details for our display team. Thanks for your help.