cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No sound when using PG248Q monitor?

MatG
Level 9
Hi guys, my old monitor was a MG248Q and i remember when i updated my graphic drivers, the sound always changed to monitor speaker, as default source/speaker..means that i had to change it in windows sound settings to use my Logitech Speakers.

Now i got a PG248Q and its almost same monitor but with G-Sync and 180Hz and i noticed that it does the same with changing to monitor speaker, when Nvidia graphic driver is updated.

But theres no sound! I can see the green bar moving when testing or playing some music and did almost everything to see if i could get some sound.

I have just picked up a new monitor from UPS after i did a RMA. Guess what..still no sound and now i am frustrated.

Not that i really need to use the speaker in the monitor, but i mean it's there and it should work, right?

Can anyone with the same monitor please check to see if your monitor speaker works or may have same problem? Thx in advance
8 REPLIES 8

Volt
Level 9
I had a similar issue with my PG348Q. After plugging it in, and updating the drivers, it immediately routed my sound to it's speakers in the monitor. I had to go in to my computers system sound to change it. I assumed it was from the USB connection, to have my monitor act as a USB hub. I may have had to disable the speakers, or remove the drivers, in the sound settings to make the change stick. In either case, it took only a few minutes to fix things.*

Crashcourse316
Level 9
UPDATE:
step 0: make sure your monitor has speakers

1. Go to your Nvidia control panel (the right-click desktop one)
2. select "setup digital audio
3. whichever port your DP is plugged into (i would assume port 1) will tell you if audio is enabled out of that port on the GPU.
4. verify it's says your monitor's model and not "No audio capable display available".
5. if it says your monitor model then click "open windows sound settings"
6.select your monitor in the menu, click "set default" (if you are able to perform this step, skip step 7)
7. if it was already set to your default, select your external speakers or a source that works other than the monitor and test that. verify the other source works.
8. if you did step 7 then repeat step 6
9.verify your volume isn't muted
10. click on step 11 and wave your mouse like you just don't care! (wave really fast for full effect)
11. http://www.staggeringbeauty.com/ (SEIZURE WARNING) do not click if prone
12. if you lack sound at this point....perform a clean install of all video drivers and that will include the nvidia audio with it.
13. if you already did this well.....i got nothin.
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

dgtots
Level 7
I have the PG248Q monitor and it does not have any built-in speakers. If you want sound you need to use headphones or external speakers.

dgtots wrote:
I have the PG248Q monitor and it does not have any built-in speakers. If you want sound you need to use headphones or external speakers.

Hahaha...thanks for that info 😄 i feel pretty stupid right now 😮

The MG248Q has internal speaker and almost half the price of PG248Q and even at ASUS Support in my country made me do a RMA 😛 LOL

MatG wrote:

The MG248Q has internal speaker and almost half the price of PG248Q and even at ASUS Support in my country made me do a RMA 😛 LOL

Adding to my steps for checking your audio

Step 0. make sure your monitor has speakers
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

MatG wrote:

You should not feel stupid. I can't believe Asus support did not tell you that. Makes you wonder about the competence of their support people.

Volt
Level 9
Years ago, I thought my nice CRY monitor stopped working. It would turn on, but no signal would come through. Then a buddy showed me that I had the brightness turned all the way down. D'oH!

dgtots wrote:
You should not feel stupid. I can't believe Asus support did not tell you that. Makes you wonder about the competence of their support people.

What competence?? LOL :cool:

Volt wrote:
Years ago, I thought my nice CRY monitor stopped working. It would turn on, but no signal would come through. Then a buddy showed me that I had the brightness turned all the way down. D'oH!

OMG, i can imagine how you felt 😄

Well, thanks for you help and reply.. By the way, just checked with my headset and all good 😉