cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New PG279Q Looks Used

BaronVonUsernam
Level 7
I recently purchased a new PG279Q with an April 2017 manufacture date from a respectable big box retailer. I had to return it due to a dead pixel in the center of the screen and the poor condition of the monitor out of the box. I'm considering trying again, but before I do, I'd like to know if the following is normal for a new PG279Q:

1) My monitor/stand was already assembled despite the quick start guide suggesting I would have to do this myself.

2) The only screen protection consisted of a loose foam bag and a piece of bubble wrap taped to the frame.

3) There were smudges/handprints on the upper left corner of the screen.

4) Styrofoam dust was stuck in gaps between the bezel and outer frame.

5) A foil card listing the features was under the bubble wrap and appeared to have caused some light scratches visible in a sunlit room.

Overall, I got the impression that my "new" monitor had already been opened, removed, assembled and repackaged. Is this normal for Asus? Other than the unfortunately placed dead pixel and the "dirty" condition, the picture quality and construction were fantastic, but I'm somewhat apprehensive of trying another if this is considered normal for a fresh-from-the-box Asus monitor.*
17 REPLIES 17

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Hi overdriven12,

That's just terrible. Before you send this one back please PM me the serial number of the monitor, and keep us updated when you receive your replacement.

overdriven12
Level 8
Hi MasterC,

The replacement of the 1st monitor arrived today and so far it's absolutely great!

This one is from a different batch -> Manufacturing Date April 2017

I keep you updated on the replacement of the 3rd monitor which will arrive either tomorrow or on monday.

EDIT:
2nd replacement just arrived (Manufacturing Date April 2017), almost no lightbleed but a dead pixel in the bottom right corner.
I'm gonna keep it though it's not too bad.

overdriven12 wrote:
Hi MasterC,

The replacement of the 1st monitor arrived today and so far it's absolutely great!

I keep you updated on the replacement of the 3rd monitor which will arrive either tomorrow or on monday.

EDIT:
2nd replacement just arrived (Manufacturing Date April 2017), almost no lightbleed but a dead pixel in the bottom right corner.

Hi overdriven12,

Glad it worked out in the end! Try rubbing the dead pixel area gently and it might go away. If not, it might be better to return it now than later.

overdriven12 wrote:
Hi MasterC,

EDIT:

Can yu please send photo with dead pixel?

overdriven12 wrote:
Hi MasterC,

EDIT:

Can you please send me a pic with this dead pixel?

Mamosha wrote:
Can you please send me a pic with this dead pixel?

https://gyazo.com/9f57a69679d033291cb4ed2fd3eadadc

It's dead for sure, I tried http://www.jscreenfix.com already which didn't help.

What's also strange, a weird burned-in spot appeared during the last 3 weeks on my middle monitor, you can't really see it when playing games but you can see it while browsing.

I used the vibrance filter in photoshop in order to get it more visible since taking just a photo of the screen isn't good enough to show it. https://gyazo.com/66c8505d931fb6dea7ef518940758e36
Here is it without the filter: https://gyazo.com/15f98fc51ecc45dc8021f9a18ae7cf5f

What is that and how do I fix it? I tried my Spyder5 Pro for calibration but it doesn't seem to be a color issue.

FatalityZZ
Level 7
BaronVonUsername wrote:
I recently purchased a new PG279Q with an April 2017 manufacture date from a respectable big box retailer. I had to return it due to a dead pixel in the center of the screen and the poor condition of the monitor out of the box. I'm considering trying again, but before I do, I'd like to know if the following is normal for a new PG279Q:

1) My monitor/stand was already assembled despite the quick start guide suggesting I would have to do this myself.

2) The only screen protection consisted of a loose foam bag and a piece of bubble wrap taped to the frame.

3) There were smudges/handprints on the upper left corner of the screen.

4) Styrofoam dust was stuck in gaps between the bezel and outer frame.

5) A foil card listing the features was under the bubble wrap and appeared to have caused some light scratches visible in a sunlit room.

Overall, I got the impression that my "new" monitor had already been opened, removed, assembled and repackaged. Is this normal for Asus? Other than the unfortunately placed dead pixel and the "dirty" condition, the picture quality and construction were fantastic, but I'm somewhat apprehensive of trying another if this is considered normal for a fresh-from-the-box Asus monitor.*

I ordered new PG279Q monitor recently from Amazon too and everything that you listed was exactly the same in my case, so I guess it might be standard procedure?

It has some bleeding so I am not sure whether to keep it or return 😕

Monitor: Manufactured March 2017, Stock settings, Brightness: 60
Photo: Samsung galaxy s7, iso 100

Photo: Samsung galaxy s7, iso 800

FatalityZZ wrote:
I ordered new PG279Q monitor recently from Amazon too and everything that you listed was exactly the same in my case, so I guess it might be standard procedure?

It has some bleeding so I am not sure whether to keep it or return 😕

Photo: Samsung galaxy s7, iso 100

Photo: Samsung galaxy s7, iso 800

HI FatalityZZ,

Please PM me the serial number of your monitor, we want to investigate this issue. Thank you.