cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interested in the RoG swift, but seriously concerned with QC issues

Raxus
Level 7
Has anyone purchased one of the RoG swift monitors recently? From what I can gather at least up till the december manufacturing date was plagued with issues.

Really want to buy this monitor, but can't bring myself to pull the trigger on something I may have to RMA a dozen times.
19,012 Views
24 REPLIES 24

sunnyd119
Level 7
I have the one from the August 2014 batch, and mine after having had problems with the 60hz and 144hz mode just died yesterday. I bought it in Oct 2014 and the problems started as early as Nov 2014. The 60hz and 144hz showed blurry discolored picture, while the 120hz worked perfectly fine. So after hearing about Asus not being able to keep up with demand I figured I wouldnt get a replacement for a while so I just kept using it in 120hz. Then a week ago I the 60hz and 144hz started to work so switched over to 144hz (was happy about that), until yesterday the monitor died the picture froze and like burnt out leaving a mess of black and white.

So this monitor lasted me 1 month of flawless use and less than 6 months of flawed use, before it finally died. So if you ask me its not worth any of the $800 you will spend on this monitor. I would wait for the Acer 1440p gsync.

Or you could fork out about the same amount for a Acer 4k Gsync.

sunnyd119 wrote:
I have the one from the August 2014 batch, and mine after having had problems with the 60hz and 144hz mode just died yesterday. I bought it in Oct 2014 and the problems started as early as Nov 2014. The 60hz and 144hz showed blurry discolored picture, while the 120hz worked perfectly fine. So after hearing about Asus not being able to keep up with demand I figured I wouldnt get a replacement for a while so I just kept using it in 120hz. Then a week ago I the 60hz and 144hz started to work so switched over to 144hz (was happy about that), until yesterday the monitor died the picture froze and like burnt out leaving a mess of black and white.

So this monitor lasted me 1 month of flawless use and less than 6 months of flawed use, before it finally died. So if you ask me its not worth any of the $800 you will spend on this monitor. I would wait for the Acer 1440p gsync.

Or you could fork out about the same amount for a Acer 4k Gsync.
Mine also from the August 2014 batch just started having issues yesterday which as I've read will probably slowly get worse over time, really hope when I do end up getting it replaced that ASUS has corrected the issues.

Raxus
Level 7
From what I've read the quality control issues spilled on into December production. I can't find anything on January or newer production.

The acer monitor is not out in the states yet, unless you want to order directly from acer (sold out and backordered). Also not about to dump the $2000 on video cards in order to run 4k AAA games so 4k is out of the question for me.

Curious why you didnt RMA it.

sunnyd119
Level 7
Well I was looking to RMA back in December but by then it was determined that monitors manufactured between July - November were bad, so I figured that if I RMA I would get a replacement from those date. I didnt want to be stuck with another bad one. So I stuck it out and kept using what ever I could. But now that the entire monitor actually died, I'm looking to RMA since I have no other option. Hopefully I dont get any 2014 manufactured model.

sunnyd119 wrote:
Well I was looking to RMA back in December but by then it was determined that monitors manufactured between July - November were bad, so I figured that if I RMA I would get a replacement from those date. I didnt want to be stuck with another bad one. So I stuck it out and kept using what ever I could. But now that the entire monitor actually died, I'm looking to RMA since I have no other option. Hopefully I dont get any 2014 manufactured model.


I'd imagine they'd send you a refurbished one, but I could be completely wrong.

Volt
Level 9
Mine works great. I got it back in mid November. It has October on it. The monitor comes with a 3 year warranty.

If you have a problem with the monitor, then you have to ship it back to ASUS. If you have a problem with a ACER monitor, then you'd probably also have to ship it to them, right? Unless ACER has some warranty store in your city. Come to think of it, say you had an Apple monitor - and something goes wrong, then I think you could bring it to your local Apple store to get it fixed. Or maybe you drop it off with them, and then they deal with shipping it to whatever warehouse has the Apple monitors.

My only suggestion is to consider buying the monitor from a local store. It might cost more, than what you can find online. But, if you have any issues with it, then it might be easier to deal with returning it to that store and getting a replacement monitor. There's a Fry's near me, and I think they make returns easy - if it's within 30 days. Or is it 15 days?

mdzcpa
Level 12
We have two in our house running well. Mine was bought in November, and my wife's in January. Both run great. Based on my positive experiences my buddy bought one 3 weeks ago. So far he's been happy and hasn't had any issues. No doubt this monitor has had a higher level of issues. But either I'm just the luckiest guy on earth or the odds of getting good monitor are actually pretty good.

mdzcpa wrote:
We have two in our house running well. Mine was bought in November, and my wife's in January. Both run great. Based on my positive experiences my buddy bought one 3 weeks ago. So far he's been happy and hasn't had any issues. No doubt this monitor has had a higher level of issues. But either I'm just the luckiest guy on earth or the odds of getting good monitor are actually pretty good.


Glad your monitors are still fine (well I assume they are as you haven't informed this forum otherwise apart from the fact you are happy they suffer from pixel inversion for $800+).

I bought mine in December (Serial E9L) and it started to flicker and show poor text yesterday.

I took it back to PLE Computers in Wangara and they tested it, agreed it was broken and replaced it with a brand new one right there and then.

This one is Serial EAL.

Good on you PLE for 1st class customer service, poor show on you ASUS for selling poor quality monitors.

mdzcpa wrote:
We have two in our house running well. Mine was bought in November, and my wife's in January. Both run great. Based on my positive experiences my buddy bought one 3 weeks ago. So far he's been happy and hasn't had any issues. No doubt this monitor has had a higher level of issues. But either I'm just the luckiest guy on earth or the odds of getting good monitor are actually pretty good.
Same here,mine is a gaming beast and no probs...guess we are lucky.