cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HDMI Display Slow to activate after Boot Hero z690 PG32UQ

Les_Garten
Level 9
HDMI Display Slow to activate after Boot Hero z690

I have a strange problem. I cannot see the post on my monitor. The monitor is an Asus PG32UQ. The MB is a Hero z690. GPU EVGA TitanX Maxwell.

I have a 30' HDMI cable going to HDMI 2 on the monitor. When I boot the MB, the monitor get's probed a few times but never syncs. USB to my KB flashes a few times, The first thing I see is the windows logon screen. Nothing before that.

If I take the PC into my shop and hook up to an older smaller Asus monitor, it works perfectly. That's what I used to install. Works on both IGPU and the Titanx

If I hook back up to the PG32UQ and hook up a TV on Display Port with a HDMI to DP adapter, the DP TV will show the post and I can get into the BIOS as normal. The Asus PG32UQ though still works the same, during the boot, I'll see the post on the TV and nothing on the PG32UQ till thje login screen comes up. Before that though, I see the Blue Window and the swirling dots on the DP TV. If that isn't hooked up, I never see it on the HDMI to the ASUS PG32UQ.

Where to look for this problem?
6 REPLIES 6

xeromist
I saw your post in the other thread so definitely keep that as the primary discussion but I wanted to ask if you have tried anything shorter than 30'? It very well be that you have the same issue as darkcg and the cable doesn't matter but the first thing ASUS is going to ask is if you've tried a different cable.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I saw your post in the other thread so definitely keep that as the primary discussion but I wanted to ask if you have tried anything shorter than 30'? It very well be that you have the same issue as darkcg and the cable doesn't matter but the first thing ASUS is going to ask is if you've tried a different cable.

Thanx for the reply.

It works better on a shorter cable, but not 100%. The cable I am using is passive. I have an active Fiber Optic coming in tomorrow.

Have you installed and ran the EVGA Precision X1 software on your computer? There might be an update for your card that addresses this issue:
https://forums.evga.com/NVIDIA-GPU-Firmware-Update-Tool-for-DisplayID-m3486301.aspx

NVIDIA also has an update for 3060 and 3080Ti cards that are experiencing blank screens:
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5233/?linkId=100000076816300

Ecmslee wrote:
Have you installed and ran the EVGA Precision X1 software on your computer? There might be an update for your card that addresses this issue:
https://forums.evga.com/NVIDIA-GPU-Firmware-Update-Tool-for-DisplayID-m3486301.aspx

NVIDIA also has an update for 3060 and 3080Ti cards that are experiencing blank screens:
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5233/?linkId=100000076816300

I did. Didn't make a difference.

Here's the combo that doesn't work using HDMI to "see" the BIOS

HDMI Connection-- Z690 Hero -- Win11 -- Asus PG32UQ

I can get into the BIOS on an Older windows 10 z97 with the Titan X. That same Titan X and the Z690 cannot access the BIOS screen at all on the Z690 and Win11.

The Z690 and EVGA 3080 Ti will not access the BIOS screen on the Z690 and Win11.

I do not think Win 11 has anything to do with this because we are talking about the BIOS screen.

I don't know what it is, but my Z690 hero board has weird problems with the PG32UQ monitor in HDMI

I can connect to any other HDMI monitor, no problems. I can connect to the PG32UQ through DP, no problems. It's like there is a "Flutter" when the board tries to initialize the monitor. There is a lot of monitor probes, like 2 or 3 before the Win login screen comes up. I never see the windows Logo with the circling dots. It just comes up to the Login screen magically. I think this is a monitor issue.

On the other hand this MOBO has a ton of bizarre issues as well, I've never seen in a MOBO. So it's really almost like a MOBO-Monitor bad match scenario.

Les_Garten wrote:
I did. Didn't make a difference.

Here's the combo that doesn't work using HDMI to "see" the BIOS

HDMI Connection-- Z690 Hero -- Win11 -- Asus PG32UQ

I can get into the BIOS on an Older windows 10 z97 with the Titan X. That same Titan X and the Z690 cannot access the BIOS screen at all on the Z690 and Win11.

The Z690 and EVGA 3080 Ti will not access the BIOS screen on the Z690 and Win11.

I do not think Win 11 has anything to do with this because we are talking about the BIOS screen.

I don't know what it is, but my Z690 hero board has weird problems with the PG32UQ monitor in HDMI

I can connect to any other HDMI monitor, no problems. I can connect to the PG32UQ through DP, no problems. It's like there is a "Flutter" when the board tries to initialize the monitor. There is a lot of monitor probes, like 2 or 3 before the Win login screen comes up. I never see the windows Logo with the circling dots. It just comes up to the Login screen magically. I think this is a monitor issue.

On the other hand this MOBO has a ton of bizarre issues as well, I've never seen in a MOBO. So it's really almost like a MOBO-Monitor bad match scenario.

Have you posted this strange pair (Z690 Hero + PG32UQ) on the motherboard forum? Any news about these issues? I do not see any action from Asus nor official statements about this.

darkcg wrote:
Have you posted this strange pair (Z690 Hero + PG32UQ) on the motherboard forum? Any news about these issues? I do not see any action from Asus nor official statements about this.

The problem is actually worse than I listed above. If your are trying to get into the BIOS hitting DEL while trying to boot it will keep not going in, and will eventually cause a 98 error that can only be cleared by resetting defaults to the BIOS PLUS leaving the battery out for 24 hours.

I posted in both Forums but that did not impress the admins, and to be honest, the support here is not much...