cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does PG279Q have correct picture sharpness and pass Lagom.nl Sharpness test?

nRoof
Level 7
I'm considering to buy this model, but first I'd like to know if it has any problems with text clarity in the Racing GameVisual mode, which has the best color reproduction among other modes, according to reviews. I wanted to use it not only for gaming, but for web browsing and reading as well.

The following test helps to check that the monitor has correct sharpness and does not apply any artificial blurring or sharpening filters, which may make fonts look worse: http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/sharpness.php

If you're going to test your monitor, please set the Racing mode in GameVisual menu first. Also, it's essential for Lagom test image to display 1:1, so make sure DPI scaling in OS, and zoom in web browser are set to 100%, and nothing in the system scales/resizes the picture or applies some artificial blur/sharpening filter. The physical width of the gray rectangle of the test picture should be 0.233*816 = 190.128 millimetres = 7.485354330708661 inches. This is just to make sure that nothing resizes it, altering the results of the test.
3 REPLIES 3

projix
Level 8
I think it pretty much does.
Here is a zoomed in photo from my cellphone, looks pretty much the same with my eyes and I have perfect uncorrected vision.
Keep in mind, this is like 5 meters away... Then I have wall, so I can't go further.

Btw if you want to buy this screen read my BLB/glow info. You need to cherry pick it, otherwise you might be unhappy with BLB.

Thank you so much for the reply and the photo. Test looks good.

I'm aware of the BLB issue, and have seen it on MG279Q (same or very similar AUO panel). That seemed to be caused by the panel being slightly twisted by the casing. Too bad that according to reviews the monitor is still being a lot of a lottery in this regard.

projix,
Is G-Sync enabled on the photo? If Yes, are there any changes in the test when it's disabled? Sorry to bother you. I'm asking that because it's possible that there's a difference in image processing when G-Sync is ON or OFF. Not very interested in G-Sync, because may end up using AMD card after a while. Unfortunately, some FreeSync models with similar AUO panel (MG279Q and Acer XF270HU) seem to fail the sharpness test, so they are not the option for me.