cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Display Port problem (GTX1080Ti or the PG348Q)?

Texman
Level 7
I have a problem where my NVidia branded 1080 Ti will not work in Display Port mode correctly on the PG348Q without some trickery on my end. The 1080 Ti works just fine with the Asus PG348Q supplied HDMI cable. But, if I connect the Asus supplied Display Port cable to my 1080 Ti, here is what happens:

• The monitor displays normal POST information at Boot and I can also enter into the BIOS for editing.
  • Once the normal POST routine completes (checking memory, etc) the PC will next pause during the boot and ask for a password since the hard drive is whole disk encrypted.
  • Right at the point that the screen should ask for that password, the screen clears and does not display the text that asks for the password.
  • The PG348Q monitor will indicate that Display Port is not present. Without that password text dialog being displayed and entry of the password, there is no way to progress onto booting from Windows.

The motherboard is an EVGA SR-2 that fully supports PCiE 2.0 and has worked fine with several prior generations of EVGA NVidia-based GPUs. I have even tried using a different monitor that also supports Display Port and the result is the same as above. People are using my same motherboard with Titan X GPUs and I have the last (most recent) BIOS installed.

Here is what I am doing as a workaround. It requires that I start off on HDMI and then move to Displayport before I get to the Windows login screen:

• Connected both the HDMI and the Displayport cables between the PG348Q monitor and the 1080 Ti GPU. Since I can't get the Displayport to behave when it gets to that password screen during boot, the HDMI cable allows me to accomplish that part of booting.
  • I boot the PC with the PG348Q set to "HDMI" input and enter the encrypted password so that I can move on to Windows.
  • Once I've entered that password and the PC starts its routine to load Win7, I set the PG348Q to the Displayport input and wait for the Win7 screen to load.
  • I have already gone into the NVidia Control Panel and set the Displayport screen as the "primary". So when Win7 is fully running, I'm on the Displayport input and monitor. Because I have (2) cables connected to the same monitor, Windows thinks that I have (2) monitors. But it is really the same PG348Q with (2) inputs.

My challenge is to figure out how to avoid having to do this every day since I don't leave the PC running 24x7. Has anyone else run into this either with this particular GPU and this monitor or possibly a different setup?
14 REPLIES 14

Crashcourse316 wrote:
Lol yea decrypting/encrypting is annoyingly long. The issue stems from the TPM chip in the BIOS I believe. When that pin entry screen comes up it's running at a low level that's equal to BIOS since the chip is on the board. for some reason whenever the chip is being accessed through the BIOS the display capabilities were being cut. That's kinda what was going on with the stuff in the environment here. manufacturers made us a new BIOS that gave the additional capability to BIOS and the chip. If your issue is what we saw here and they don't support the board anymore you might be out of luck. maybe try a BIOS downgrade if your board allows it. try a couple previous versions would be what I would do if there was nothing new. plenty of times they "fix" something and it just breaks a bunch of other working things. anyways good luck.

This particular board (the EVGA SR-2) did not incorporate the TPM security that was already available at that time on other boards. But, I think your assessment is correct of it being a combination of the BIOS, presenting the encryption password request and being uniquely coupled with the Displayport output (since it all works fine with HDMI or DVI-D video ports). I won't know for sure if bypassing an encryption password requirement at boot will work with Displayport. It could also be that the motherboard (or GPU) just loses the initial Displayport connectivity for some reason.

When I do get a chance to test it on a non-encrypted boot drive, I'll come back here and share it in case it helps someone else. I figure that I'm not the only person holding onto 7yr old technology. I like to squeeze every ounce of usefulness from these investments and will continue to do so with the SR-2 for quite awhile longer (knock-wood).

What's with the "image verification" requirement every time we make a post or reply to this forum? That is more annoying that my Displayport problem. 🙂

Texman wrote:
What's with the "image verification" requirement every time we make a post or reply to this forum? That is more annoying that my Displayport problem. 🙂

I don't have my SR-2 anymore but THIS is a question I can answer. 🙂 It's an anti-spam measure that ASUS implemented for new users. After a handful of posts and a handful of days you are supposed to become a full member. Once you become a full member you no longer get the captcha. However there does seem to be a bug preventing users from becoming full members but ASUS is looking into it. Hopefully once the bug is fixed everyone will be in the correct user group.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I don't have my SR-2 anymore but THIS is a question I can answer. 🙂 It's an anti-spam measure that ASUS implemented for new users. After a handful of posts and a handful of days you are supposed to become a full member. Once you become a full member you no longer get the captcha. However there does seem to be a bug preventing users from becoming full members but ASUS is looking into it. Hopefully once the bug is fixed everyone will be in the correct user group.

Thanks for that answer and it is good to know that it "should" go away with time. I'll just wait it out then. :cool:

xeromist wrote:
but THIS is a question I can answer. 🙂

just a normal ROG moderator I see. ;);)
I7-4790k OC 4.9 1.375v
MSI Gaming X GTX 1080 OC core:2055Mhz Mem:5504Mhz

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If you like what I post, hit that Rep button.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
If i'm posting here it's only because I'm at work and have nothing better to do other than solve your problems.

Crashcourse316 wrote:
just a normal ROG moderator I see. ;);)

Yup. Most mods are just volunteers. Unfortunately I can't fix the problem or promote people but I'm at least trying to let new users know what is going on.

Administrators and moderators with ASUS in their name are actual employees but their roles at ASUS vary.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…