cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying new monitor, however have concerns. Please help!!

KPRage
Level 10
All,
After much contemplating and, experiencing different types of monitors first hand, I am planning to buy a ASUS 1440p IPS monitor (still narrowing down on my options) however, I am seeing loads of complaints of black light bleed, pixels patch and, dead pixels, QA issues in general.

I am concerned on putting my money on any ASUS monitor due to very bad reviews in most of the online stores. Please help me out in confirming if this is no more an issue. Also, since am from a place where they might trickle down lesser quality displays, whilst the top cream (which too have issues) are sent to the first world countries!

Thanks,
KP
CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.6GHz @1.170V; Mobo: MVG; GPU: Zotac 1070 mini OC'd to +210MHz/+205MHz; Memory: 8GB (2X4GB dual channel) Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz 9-10-9-T2; SSD: Samsung 840 pro; HDD: 1TB WD Green 6Gbps; PSU: Corsair GS 600w; Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha:Hybrid Octane in progress; Cooler: Corsair H80 closed loop cooling @ high profile;

Pre & Post Build Guide

A lot of epic FAIL videos are made before one epic WIN video is made 🙂
25 REPLIES 25

panzlock
Level 12
No, no. Not monitors. i review films hence a 32" monitor suits my needs well as I watch quite a lot of films.

Of the monitors you listed I'd rank in the following order from best to worst:

1.) http://www.amazon.in/Samsung-LU28E590DS-XL-28-inch-Metallic/dp/B017999Q5Y?_encoding=UTF8&keywords=LU...

2.) http://www.amazon.in/ASUS-Designo-MX27AQ-Monitor-DisplayPort1-2/dp/B00VRKVGSC/ref=sr_1_10?s=computer...

3.) http://www.amazon.in/LG-4K-UHD-27UD68P-B-27-inch-Monitor/product-reviews/B01CH9ZTI4/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_...

4.) https://www.vedantcomputers.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=843

5.) http://www.amazon.in/Asus-PB287Q-28-inch-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B00KJGY3TO/ref=sr_1_4?s=computers&ie=UTF8...

6.) https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014398&cm_re=BenQ_GL2706PQ-_-24-014-398-_-P...

Samsung and LG typically make pretty good monitors but even the ones you chose experience some BLB as per consumer testament.When it comes to bleed, it seems it will always be a gamble but clearly some are better than others. That ASUS Designo is also a good looking piece of hardware.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

KPRage
Level 10
Oh okay.. Well, is the Samsung one good for gaming too? If so, I will go ahead with that.. My main reason for upgrading my current monitor (ASUS ML248H) is am not liking the colour reproduction of it and, though its fun to game, I want a bigger screen. My desk is a bit short in terms of depth and, I might be just a feet or two away from the monitor.

Based on this, should I go for Samsung or, the LG one?

Thanks,
KP
CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.6GHz @1.170V; Mobo: MVG; GPU: Zotac 1070 mini OC'd to +210MHz/+205MHz; Memory: 8GB (2X4GB dual channel) Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz 9-10-9-T2; SSD: Samsung 840 pro; HDD: 1TB WD Green 6Gbps; PSU: Corsair GS 600w; Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha:Hybrid Octane in progress; Cooler: Corsair H80 closed loop cooling @ high profile;

Pre & Post Build Guide

panzlock
Level 12
Has a 16:9 and 1 ms response time. Good for gaming.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

Volt
Level 9
I got the Asus PG278Q back in Nov 2014 for my new gaming computer. I had upgraded form a Dell 24" 1080p monitor. I think it had a max 60hz refresh rate. That was a super nice upgrade. I soon found this forum, and joined it. I had a few quirky things with the monitor. But overall, I was and still am pretty happy and satisfied with it for a gaming monitor. It's a TN panel. My biggest annoyance is that the image get's notably darker when you not viewing it directly head on. So if I'm off to the side, or standing over it, or looking up at it then the display looks darker. So it's going to look dark, for my buddy watching me play.

I think this monitor brand new, in 2014, listed for around $800-$900 USD. That's an expensive monitor. It was also a hard to find item. And even if found, it was certain to be sold out. Demand far exceeded supply. Especially when it was new. I ended up using https://www.nowinstock.net/ to notify me when it became available. I got the notification around midnight one Friday night, and was able to order it before it sold out.

If anything is wrong with it, you can expect to hear about it on the Internet. There was many posts about the various problems people were having with this monitor on this forum.
It did seem that most everyone that posted that had problems, had ordered it online from somewhere. And had to mail the monitor back, or to ASUS, for warranty repair. Because it was very popular at the time, this seemed to have caused issues with people getting it repaired, or replaced.

What is the percentage of monitors that had problems? I don't know. I didn't have any problems that negatively affected gaming with mine. It may or may not have had something called pixel inversion. I forget if that is what is called. If it did have it, I don't recall noticing it anytime I was gaming. It doesn't have any dead pixels. One of my old Dell monitors ended up getting at least 1 dead pixel. That I notice, if I look in the right spot.

Last year I upgraded to an ASUS PG348Q. A curved, IPS 3440x1440 @ 100 Hz + gsync. I had read some awesome reviews on it. But when I saw it in action at my local Fry's, that did it. There is the ACER Predator that has identical stats. It uses the same panel. But I lucked out that Fry's was having a sale when I was shopping on Thanksgiving night. Also buying it from Fry's, or any electronics store, meant I could return it if there were problems with it for the first 30 days. That was a plus.

I'm even happier with this monitor over the previous one. For me I really like IPS over TN panels. The image is bright, colorful, and gorgeous, from just about ANY angle. The curve is subtle. But really enhances the immersion factor with any game that intentionally makes use of 21:9. Not all games support 21:9. Overwatch does not, unfortunately. But many of the games in my library do. There are some web pages that show which do and don't if you are intrested in a 21:9. And checking to see if your games make use of that.

That's my long winded way of saying I'm super happy with ASUS monitors. My next monitor will most likely be an ASUS monitor. But that's only if it's reviews warrant it. And I'm likely to buy it from a store I can drive to, in case I have problems with it.

It might be helpful for the monitors you are considering to see them in person if possible. Are your eyes going to like what they see? It might also help to see what panel the monitor is using. There are brands that use the same panel; like ACER and ASUS with their 34" UW monitor I mentioned above. So they will look the same. But the UI, ports it has, and 'case' it comes in is going to look different.

KPRage
Level 10
So, after much contemplating and, going through tons of reviews, I finally settled for the ASUS VZ27AQ!! The main reasons for my decision are:

1. Price!! Being in a country where everything costs double their amount, I had to settle in for the one that fits my budget
2. Reviews and, very less to no complaints!! There are very few reviews for this model however, everywhere there is one, it is very good!
3. IPS and 1440p and 75Hz. After looking through benchmarks, I found that this would be the best fit for my GTX 1070. I really love playing with ALL EYECANDY features turned to max! And, from what I saw, there is no point buying a 144Hz monitor since it just doesn't make it beyond 75!!
4. 4k, G-sync, Free-sync, everything costs too high and, 4k on a 27 or 28" monitor is just not worth it! Also, I know the GTX 1070 can not handle this anyways..

However, I would still suggest a 1440p 144Hz IPS monitor anyday.. In-case there are others looking for one and, have the budget to go with it!!

Though I should thank pazlock and, Volt for the infos given.. I did learn a ton and would really like anyone looking for monitors to see this thread for their reference. Of course, things may change in the future!! 🙂

Cheers,
KP

Pre & Post Build Guide

KPRage wrote:
So, after much contemplating and, going through tons of reviews, I finally settled for the ASUS VZ27AQ!! The main reasons for my decision are:

3. IPS and 1440p and 75Hz. After looking through benchmarks, I found that this would be the best fit for my GTX 1070. I really love playing with ALL EYECANDY features turned to max! And, from what I saw, there is no point buying a 144Hz monitor since it just doesn't make it beyond 75!!

KP

That's a very good point. You should get a monitor that will work well with your graphics card. Will your card be powerful enough to handle the settings, resolution, and refresh rate for your new monitor? Do you want to upgrade your graphics card to something that can? Are you going to upgrade at some point during the lifespan of your monitor? I am being rhetorical.

KPRage
Level 10
Alrighty then!! Finally got my ASUS 27AQ monitor and, here are my thoughts are review of the same!! I have used it for an hour however, I can already see the difference from my previous 1080p monitor!!! Since the differences are still fresh to my eyes, I feel this is the best time to review the same..

Before I do give actual review, am really amazed at how little review this has gotten!! I mean it's like trying to fine a dragon in real life!! 😄

Pros:

COLORSSSS:

Oh yeah, am loving the colors configuration of this monitor.. Its vivid and, crisp and, seems to be accurate (though, need to find more ways to make it better or accurate? Any help here is appreciated!)

Blacks and Whites

It can't go much deeper! 😉 Just loving the blacks and, whites and, the deep black which is making the colors pop out even more!

Looks

Oh so b-e-a-utifull!! Sleek and sexy to say the least! A full almost borderless display!! looks huge thanks to that!

NO Dead pixels

Yep, it has come with no BLB and dead pixels and, am loving it!

75Hz

15Hz more and, the more the merrier!! 😄 🙂

Eye candy in games
I can see an immediate difference in games. They look much better now and, are more vivid! Though one main issue is mentioned in the Cons below.

Cons:

Response time!
Yep, am surprised as to how much of ghosting am able to notice in this monitor when compared to the 1ms 1080p one. The same videos, while vivid in color, look too ghosty (if thats a word!). It may take a while for my eyes to adjust to the 5ms response time I guess. However, as of now, it is a bit annoying and distracting.

DP not working

Not sure if this is a cable issue or, the DP port issue, however, the DP is not working and, currently using the HDMI port for viewing. Am able to set the 75z refresh rate though, so should be fine I guess?

No height adjust and Swivel!

Wobbly stand

OSD controls will take time to get used to

BLB

Slight BLB now visible! 😞

IMPORTANT!!!
KEEP TRACE FREE @ 0!! This helps in games like Fifa and CS:GO!!

That's it folks! Final verdict is, am just loving it !! The 1440p 75Hz makes so much sense for the GTX 1070, I would suggest people to go for it..

Cheers,
KP

Pre & Post Build Guide

KPRage wrote:

Cons:

Response time!
Yep, am surprised as to how much of ghosting am able to notice in this monitor when compared to the 1ms 1080p one. The same videos, while vivid in color, look too ghosty (if thats a word!). It may take a while for my eyes to adjust to the 5ms response time I guess. However, as of now, it is a bit annoying and distracting.

DP not working

Not sure if this is a cable issue or, the DP port issue, however, the DP is not working and, currently using the HDMI port for viewing. Am able to set the 75z refresh rate though, so should be fine I guess?

Response time may be something you get use to. Esepecially if you are enjoying the other things about the monitor.

DP not working?

Here are some things to try

A:
1. Shut the monitor off.
2. unplug it for 5 to 10 seconds. Another poster suggested wait 5 minutes *
3. plug it back in
4. wait 10 seconds
5. turn monitor back on

B:
Check the DP cable and make sure it's connecting properly. If it can be pulled out too easy without effort like your monitor than its not connecting all the way. To release a DP cable it needs to be pressed upwards while in reverse motion.

C:
Try a different DP cable.

😧
Try your new monitor on a different computer

Volt wrote:
Response time may be something you get use to. Esepecially if you are enjoying the other things about the monitor.

DP not working?

Here are some things to try

A:
1. Shut the monitor off.
2. unplug it for 5 to 10 seconds. Another poster suggested wait 5 minutes *
3. plug it back in
4. wait 10 seconds
5. turn monitor back on

Tried this with no luck!

Volt wrote:
B:
Check the DP cable and make sure it's connecting properly. If it can be pulled out too easy without effort like your monitor than its not connecting all the way. To release a DP cable it needs to be pressed upwards while in reverse motion.

Checked this too and, everything was in place. I tried all three ports of the GTX 1070 and, the case was same. I do have a 290 in hand and, planning to try with the DP of that GPU once.

Volt wrote:

C:
Try a different DP cable.

Need to buy one for now.

Volt wrote:
😧
Try your new monitor on a different computer

Do not have one in hand for trying this out! 😞

Volt wrote:

Will watch this and, try all suggestions in it that I haven't tried yet!!

I am thinking it might be a cable issue. However, since its running fine on the HDMI cable, I am wondering if I need the DP for now? I am not sure if the Monitor can be OCed to beyond 75Hz either. Anyone with the same monitor have any luck in the OC, please do comment!!

Cheers and Thanks,
KP

Pre & Post Build Guide

KPRage wrote:
Tried this with no luck!

Checked this too and, everything was in place. I tried all three ports of the GTX 1070 and, the case was same. I do have a 290 in hand and, planning to try with the DP of that GPU once.

Do not have one in hand for trying this out! 😞

I am thinking it might be a cable issue. However, since its running fine on the HDMI cable, I am wondering if I need the DP for now? I am not sure if the Monitor can be OCed to beyond 75Hz either. Anyone with the same monitor have any luck in the OC, please do comment!!

Cheers and Thanks,
KP

D'oh. That's frustrating. But at least you are narrowing down what it could be.

Testing out the DP cable with your older 290 card can help narrow what it could be a little more. Or getting a buddy to bring over their system to test things out, or bringing it to a computer shop to do the same will help get to the bottom of things. Though not exactly convenient to move things around like that.

The DP connection may, or may not, allow you to use a higher resolution and faster frame rate. But that point becomes moot if you are able to achieve the maximum res/refresh rate with your new monitor and HDMI.

My ASUS PG348Q allows to be overclocked to 100mHz. You adjust a setting to do that and that's it. I don't know why it makes a big deal about it? 'm guessing it causes the monitor to run hotter? I see that my monitor 1) Refresh Rate DisplayPort: 3440x1440(up to 100Hz*), HDMI: 3440x1440(50Hz). So I have to use a DP cable to go 100 mHz at it's highest resolution.

However, if you are happy with how your new monitor is now then you'll be fine.