cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buying new monitor, however have concerns. Please help!!

KPRage
Level 10
All,
After much contemplating and, experiencing different types of monitors first hand, I am planning to buy a ASUS 1440p IPS monitor (still narrowing down on my options) however, I am seeing loads of complaints of black light bleed, pixels patch and, dead pixels, QA issues in general.

I am concerned on putting my money on any ASUS monitor due to very bad reviews in most of the online stores. Please help me out in confirming if this is no more an issue. Also, since am from a place where they might trickle down lesser quality displays, whilst the top cream (which too have issues) are sent to the first world countries!

Thanks,
KP
CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.6GHz @1.170V; Mobo: MVG; GPU: Zotac 1070 mini OC'd to +210MHz/+205MHz; Memory: 8GB (2X4GB dual channel) Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz 9-10-9-T2; SSD: Samsung 840 pro; HDD: 1TB WD Green 6Gbps; PSU: Corsair GS 600w; Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha:Hybrid Octane in progress; Cooler: Corsair H80 closed loop cooling @ high profile;

Pre & Post Build Guide

A lot of epic FAIL videos are made before one epic WIN video is made 🙂
25 REPLIES 25

mdzcpa
Level 12
I also buck the "apparent" trend with my Asus monitor experience. I currently have a PG348Q which I LOVE. It's been perfect thus far. BLB not really bad...unless you of course go looking for in a pitch black room. Point is...not worse than average. We also have 2 PG279Q monitors (wife and son), and 1 PG278Q (oldest son). We did develop one stuck pixel on one of the 279Q monitors. I gentle press with an eraser fixed it. I was a tad disappointed to see it there as it was that way since the first time I fired it up. QC should have caught this??

In summary, Asus monitors are not any worse than most other brands in my opinion. You see a crap ton of complaints, though, because they sell a mega crap ton of monitors. They dominate that market space. So I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid an Asus monitor. I would select on price and features. Period. Looks like you have above. Good luck.

mdzcpa wrote:
I also buck the "apparent" trend with my Asus monitor experience. I currently have a PG348Q which I LOVE. It's been perfect thus far. BLB not really bad...unless you of course go looking for in a pitch black room. Point is...not worse than average. We also have 2 PG279Q monitors (wife and son), and 1 PG278Q (oldest son). We did develop one stuck pixel on one of the 279Q monitors. I gentle press with an eraser fixed it. I was a tad disappointed to see it there as it was that way since the first time I fired it up. QC should have caught this??

Well, the BLB is not so bad for me either however, it is something which is noticeable while watching a movie. The black bars, give the apparent white glow which might get distracting at times. However, I noticed something interesting yesterday night, the BLB has shifted from bottom left and right corners to bottom right and, top right corners!! Am in awe as to how this happened!! :?

Volt wrote:
In summary, Asus monitors are not any worse than most other brands in my opinion. You see a crap ton of complaints, though, because they sell a mega crap ton of monitors. They dominate that market space. So I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid an Asus monitor. I would select on price and features. Period. Looks like you have above. Good luck.

Well, I feel that ASUS should really get hold of the QA in all departments. With them being dominant in most of the market, I feel that their quality is decreasing day-by-day. I hope they get their act right and, get back to being awesome consistently!!

Thanks for the reply..

Cheers,
KP
CPU: Intel i5 3570k OC'd to 4.6GHz @1.170V; Mobo: MVG; GPU: Zotac 1070 mini OC'd to +210MHz/+205MHz; Memory: 8GB (2X4GB dual channel) Corsair Vengeance 1333Mhz 9-10-9-T2; SSD: Samsung 840 pro; HDD: 1TB WD Green 6Gbps; PSU: Corsair GS 600w; Case: Bitfenix Merc Alpha:Hybrid Octane in progress; Cooler: Corsair H80 closed loop cooling @ high profile;

Pre & Post Build Guide

mdzcpa wrote:

On the contrary, ASUS monitors are the ones receiving the most backlash from the information I have gathered. It is not an apparent trend. And although other manufacturers put out hardware with similar quality issues ASUS seems to be at the forefront particularly where both BLB and dead pixels are concerned. Some consumers reported ZERO BLB with their PG279Q's and PG278Q's. But I'll say that of the reviews I came across...30% were negative for both these monitors. That's a lot given the pedigree. Hence my recommendations for a Samsung or LG which seem to be less problematic by comparison.

I myself am considering an AOC monitor which is actually an MVA panel which is a compromise between a TN and IPS. Initially response times on MVA panels weren't great but this one has 5ms so I am willing to take the risk given the lack of negative feedback of this particular 32" model.

Even KPRage reported BLB with his new ASUS acquisition. Again, based on consumer reviews an ASUS monitor would be my last consideration. ASUS makes great products and provide great yields but quality has dropped off over the years. Given the prices we pay for certain hardware such quality issues shouldn't be as consistent.
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.

panzlock wrote:
On the contrary, ASUS monitors are the ones receiving the most backlash from the information I have gathered. It is not an apparent trend. And although other manufacturers put out hardware with similar quality issues ASUS seems to be at the forefront particularly where both BLB and dead pixels are concerned. Some consumers reported ZERO BLB with their PG279Q's and PG278Q's. But I'll say that of the reviews I came across...30% were negative for both these monitors. That's a lot given the pedigree. Hence my recommendations for a Samsung or LG which seem to be less problematic by comparison.

I myself am considering an AOC monitor which is actually an MVA panel which is a compromise between a TN and IPS. Initially response times on MVA panels weren't great but this one has 5ms so I am willing to take the risk given the lack of negative feedback of this particular 32" model.

Even KPRage reported BLB with his new ASUS acquisition. Again, based on consumer reviews an ASUS monitor would be my last consideration. ASUS makes great products and provide great yields but quality has dropped off over the years. Given the prices we pay for certain hardware such quality issues shouldn't be as consistent.

True that!! This just seconds my opinion on the same. Quality of ASUS products have decreased drastically recently. This is of utmost concern because they are/ were leaders in the market.

Also, the reason I had to go for ASUS is due to my budget limitations. If not, my choice was either LG or Samsung or Dell in that order. I just wish LG had more 1440p monitors.

I would strongly suggest the same what panzlock suggested. However, if only there are more 4k 30+ inch monitors or, 27-28" 1440p monitors, my current choice would've been something else!!

Hope it helps!!

Cheers,
KP

Pre & Post Build Guide

KPRage
Level 10
An update on the current status of the monitor. It is very confusing as to why this is happening however, it is.. There is very less to no BLB now!!! :confused:

Also, I did calibrate the monitor keeping my macbook pro as the base and, using the same image on both mac and the monitor to get the colors as accurate match to the mac as possible. Whites are still not white enough though. However, this is what I ended with:
Brightness: 86
Contrast: 67
Color temps: User:
R 95
G 88
B 100

Not sure if this has anything to do with the BLB. However, I can hardly notice it now!

Another update for those experiencing ghosting. Keep Trace Free to 0. Not sure why this is 100 by default. I almost got dizziness while playing Fifa thanks to this!

Also, wanted to know from any experts here if the method used to calibrate the monitor is fine or not.

Cheers,
KP

Pre & Post Build Guide

KPRage
Level 10
Hey Volt,
Got a new cable annddd voila! It works like a charm. It was a cable issue. Wonder what happened to ASUS's Quality Control. A dead cable on arrival. Sigh.. Well, even with a DP cable, am unable to OC the monitor. Any number above 75 and it says Out of Range. I thought this monitor was OCable. Nevertheless, it is a beauty and, I am liking it so far!!

Cheers,
KP

Pre & Post Build Guide