cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Swift PG35VQ - ANY INFORMATION

AKDragon
Level 7
Seriously this monitor has become a myth. Can anyone from Asus provide any up-to-date information regarding the release of the PG35VQ? people have been waiting since 2017 for this monitor and there has been no updates, it is now December 2018 and still no updates??

Can we get some information as to why this monitor has been delayed for so long? Is the PG35VQ in mass production? How much will it cost? What are the confirmed specs? Have there been any changes since it's announcement? At the very least you could provide your consumers with some form of an update, the responses thus far have been generic and dismissive; what is going on??
55 REPLIES 55

AKDragon wrote:
I was thinking about switching from IPS to VA monitor purley due to the contrast ratios and black levels (IPS=1000:1 VA=between 2000-3000:1), but I am aware of current VA based gaming monitors having low pixel response issues. Usually I would avoid VA panels because of poorer viewing angles but with a curved monitor I assume it would negate that issue to some degree.

I currently use a Predator XB321HK which for the most part is great, but after seeing a low end Samsung 43" VA based 4K HDR TV; the contrast ratio alone (approx. 5000-6000:1) blows any "gaming monitor" out of the water (and it was edge-it!); this is the reason I would move away from an IPS panel. Although I find it odd that even samsung's freesync HDR VA monitors also have the ghosting/low pixel response issues.

Personally I am looking for a monitor that supports HDR+FALD, the current IPS based HDR monitors that have FALD exhibit "glowing" issues due to the use of an IPS panel instead of a VA. Again for HDR to look it's best VA panels are more suitable due to the better contrast ratios. The PG35VQ / X35 pretty much check all the boxes in terms of my requirements (although I find 200hz pointless 120/144hz would have been fine) but as you say the ghosting issues that plague them is a concern, hopefully all this time with zero updates or information from Asus has been spent in resolving this issue? Time will tell.

Exactly! IPS panels contrast ratio is a joke which makes FALD not working properly.
FALD is only amazing with VA panels.
No more IPS, Contrast is king, looking for VA panels after trying IPS and TN*

Found some positive information:

"An update on the 35″ Curved HDR Panels We’ve Been Waiting For

It’s been another long wait for the release of the interesting new 35″ ultrawide screens, boasting a 3440 x 1440 resolution, 200Hz refresh rate and importantly support for a FALD HDR backlight. We already know that there are models from Asus (their ROG Swift PG35VQ) and Acer (Predator X35) planned, that we’ve been waiting for since May 2017 last year! The panel for this screen is a 34″ VA offering from AUO and has apparently now gone in to mass production as of Q3 2018. We have not had any update from Asus or Acer on these screens, so suspect they will be available sometime in Q1 based on what we know currently."

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/blog/au-optronics-latest-panel-development-plans-october-2018/

AKDragon
Level 7
I've been reading about Mini/Micro LED panels from AUO. If monitors with this tech comes out this year then the X35/PG35VQ will be DOA. Mini/Micro LED monitors will be superior and more future proof compared to a VA panel with FALD in terms of peak brightness/contrast/black levels plus will not suffer from poorer viewing angles or pixel response/ghosting issues that VA panels have. No idea how much they will cost to produce compared to VA/IPS/OLED though.

ATR-42
Level 9
I have to agree with the disparaging remarks about IPS here. Switching from an AMVA panel to IPS (AW34DW) was a huge disappointment. Dell is getting $800-$1000 for its panel that really does look like complete garbage during black scenes. Sure IPS panels perform, but I really miss the contrast, even consistency, and proper blacks. I cannot wait to jump ship from IPS.

I purchased the AW to simply hold me over until the PG35VQ arrives. It must be getting close because there is a subscribe button on the product page now that wasnt there a few months ago.

To the guy mentioning "Black Crush", not sure if you have first hand experience of this or not. Coming from horrible IPS blacks, you may think you have it... But if a modern VA panel is set up properly you will not have black crushing. Also to AK, regarding PG35VQ DOA lol really? this panel has taken years to develop, there is going to be a buyer base for it as there arent any monitors in this class. People are going to buy it. Micro LED is in early stages at best for consumer TVs which means it will be AGES before this tech trickles down to performance PC monitors. Keep waiting,...
i9 14900k, z790, GTX 4090, Azoth

According to a homepage from the Netherlands, the PG35VQ will cost around 2000 € and should be available soon.

Source: https://nl.hardware.info/nieuws/62489/ces-ultrawide-asus-rog-swift-pg35vq-met-200-hz-binnenkort-te-k...

ATR-42 wrote:
Also to AK, regarding PG35VQ DOA lol really? this panel has taken years to develop, there is going to be a buyer base for it as there aren't any monitors in this class. People are going to buy it. Micro LED is in early stages at best for consumer TVs which means it will be AGES before this tech trickles down to performance PC monitors. Keep waiting,...

Yea, you are correct; I did some reading regarding MiniLED and current manufacturing costs are way higher than OLED, so it will be a long time before we see a monitor with that tech for consumers. Based on the figures I saw we may see actually OLED monitors prior to MiniLED monitors. Dell announced an OLED monitor at CES, the downside it's 55".....so useless for majority of PC gamers; plus no pricing or release date.

I'll be looking to pick up the PG35VQ if Asus has managed to squash the pixel response / blurring issues usually associated with VA panels, especially if they are going to be charging 2000 Euros for it.

AKDragon
Level 7
Finally some information at the 3 min mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR9XKFpVYmA

* Q1 - Q2 2019 release
* Will cost more than last years 27" 4K IPS version....
* Includes a Sabre DAC....pointless for people who already have a DAC and just adds to the total cost

AKDragon wrote:
Finally some information at the 3 min mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR9XKFpVYmA

* Q1 - Q2 2019 release
* Will cost more than last years 27" 4K IPS version....
* Includes a Sabre DAC....pointless for people who already have a DAC and just adds to the total cost
Why can't they make these addons optional. I have my own Dac and if I didnt I would rather have an external dac and choose my own. Did they add on Tobii eye tracker as well.:/ They are completely unnecessary and like you said...just drive up the price making it unattainable for some people to buy. For those kinds of addons, I would think people who can afford this monitor would rather buy their own separately.

Hollywood_Cnd wrote:
Why can't they make these addons optional. I have my own Dac and if I didnt I would rather have an external dac and choose my own. Did they add on Tobii eye tracker as well.:/ They are completely unnecessary and like you said...just drive up the price making it unattainable for some people to buy. For those kinds of addons, I would think people who can afford this monitor would rather buy their own separately.

Yep I already have a Sennheiser GSX1000....., $/£2,500+ for 3440x1440.......I'm not buying it, the monitor prices are getting insane with that in mind they include pointless things like a DAC, built in speakers? ,RGB lighting on the rear, red led logo projected from the stand to desk......I mean really wtf does anyone care about the physical aesthetics of the back of the monitor?

Is it too much to ask for just a decent panel with a FALD backlight and a normal stand; no speakers, no dac, no rgb lighting, no projected logo all of that is so irrelevant and just makes it more expensive and does not improve the viewing experience/performance one bit. Still awaiting info on the Acer X35, finger crossed it does not include a DAC and will come in cheaper as a result....

Sancus
Level 7
Why did they add a DAC to this? What the hell? LOL. Just get the damn panel out, all of us with $2000+ to spend on a monitor already have excellent audio solutions that do not benefit from a random DAC in a monitor.

Hopefully the Acer version is less stupid.