cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ USB Ports.

iQyThradz3137i
Level 8
I have a quick question does anyone use these USB Ports for there mouse and keyboard.

I have the Claymore II Wireless and the Chakram Wireless too and wonder if i will have any problems plugging the USB Wireless Dongles into the hub in the monitor or does my stuff have to be plugged into the back of the motherboard?
4 REPLIES 4

Murph_9000
Level 14
If the XG27AQ is the same as most of the ROG monitors, it will have a little USB3.1 hub built in (Gen 1 / SuperSpeed 5, I think, but could be wrong). I certainly have no problem with the Chakram X plugged into the back of a XG43UQ (and the monitor connected with its own USB cable to the back of the motherboard). I've not tried the 2.4GHz dongle there, but I'd expect it to be fine. The only thing I'd be cautious about is high speed storage or network devices (things with USB3 Gen 2 / SuperSpeed 10 and above), as you might limit their performance through those ports.

The hub will add a tiny amount of latency, I guess, but it should be highly insignificant for most people. If you're the type that must eliminate every last nanosecond of excess latency, direct to the motherboard is what you want; but for most use cases the monitor ports are there to be used when convenient.

Murph_9000 wrote:
If the XG27AQ is the same as most of the ROG monitors, it will have a little USB3.1 hub built in (Gen 1 / SuperSpeed 5, I think, but could be wrong). I certainly have no problem with the Chakram X plugged into the back of a XG43UQ (and the monitor connected with its own USB cable to the back of the motherboard). I've not tried the 2.4GHz dongle there, but I'd expect it to be fine. The only thing I'd be cautious about is high speed storage or network devices (things with USB3 Gen 2 / SuperSpeed 10 and above), as you might limit their performance through those ports.

The hub will add a tiny amount of latency, I guess, but it should be highly insignificant for most people. If you're the type that must eliminate every last nanosecond of excess latency, direct to the motherboard is what you want; but for most use cases the monitor ports are there to be used when convenient.

I wouldnt plug in High speed drives but def the mouse and keyboard. If you use that mouse isnt that 2.4ghz. The thing is will it work. Thats the only 2 things going to be plugged in that hub

iQyThradz3137i wrote:
I wouldnt plug in High speed drives but def the mouse and keyboard. If you use that mouse isnt that 2.4ghz. The thing is will it work. Thats the only 2 things going to be plugged in that hub

The Chakram X is tri-mode connected; USB cable, USB 2.4GHz dongle, or Bluetooth. I'm currently plugged into the back of the monitor with the cable, which I think is actually a higher data rate than the dongle (I'd need to check that). It works great on the cable into the monitor.

If the RF signal getting out from the back of the monitor concerns you, you can put the dongle on the end of a cable. The Chakram X comes with a USB-C to USB-A adapter (to go on the end of the USB-A to USB-C cable) with a clip to attach to your desk/mouse pad, intended for the dongle if people want to ensure that nothing is interfering or blocking the signal. I don't know if other Chakram models come with that, but you could do that with a generic USB extension cable. I currently have my dongle in one of my front panel USB3 ports (chosen simply because it was convenient), for when I want to go wireless.

Murph_9000 wrote:
The Chakram X is tri-mode connected; USB cable, USB 2.4GHz dongle, or Bluetooth. I'm currently plugged into the back of the monitor with the cable, which I think is actually a higher data rate than the dongle (I'd need to check that). It works great on the cable into the monitor.

If the RF signal getting out from the back of the monitor concerns you, you can put the dongle on the end of a cable. The Chakram X comes with a USB-C to USB-A adapter (to go on the end of the USB-A to USB-C cable) with a clip to attach to your desk/mouse pad, intended for the dongle if people want to ensure that nothing is interfering or blocking the signal. I don't know if other Chakram models come with that, but you could do that with a generic USB extension cable. I currently have my dongle in one of my front panel USB3 ports (chosen simply because it was convenient), for when I want to go wireless.

Thanks again yes both models come with that but when i build my pc i will just connect direct to PC,

I have just enough usb ports for all my gear and a powered usb hub so i am good