cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus PG329Q monitor compatibility with Asus Strix GTX960

jwkuyser
Level 7
I still have an old GPU in my PC due to the shortages and overpricing. I just got a new PG329Q monitor and connected it via displayport and when I turn the PC on I get one long beep and three short beeps which means 'No VGA' but the PC does still get to windows. My guess is this is due to the GPU not being fully compatible with displayport despite having the socket.
12 REPLIES 12

xeromist
Is this the first time you've used DisplayPort on that GPU and motherboard? It could also be the motherboard doesn't understand how to send output to DisplayPort during POST.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Is this the first time you've used DisplayPort on that GPU and motherboard? It could also be the motherboard doesn't understand how to send output to DisplayPort during POST.

It could be that but it shouldn't as the motherboard is only a year old and the BIOS is even more recent.

xeromist
That's a fair assumption. I guess I would just do some searching around to see if anyone has had a similar issue with either that board or GPU. I think it's unlikely you'll be able to resolve it though. You already have the latest BIOS so if there aren't any settings in there to improve compatibility you might just have to switch to HDMI when you need to access the BIOS.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
That's a fair assumption. I guess I would just do some searching around to see if anyone has had a similar issue with either that board or GPU. I think it's unlikely you'll be able to resolve it though. You already have the latest BIOS so if there aren't any settings in there to improve compatibility you might just have to switch to HDMI when you need to access the BIOS.

Switching to HDMI is an option I'm considering. Will I lose out on HDR or anything by using HDMI?

Another option is I think I can change a setting in the monitor to use Displayport 1.2 instead of 1.4. I'm not sure If that will make me lose HDR or anything either TBH.

I've also found a VGA BIOS/firmware updater from Nvidia, not Asus, which is intended to fix this. Will this lose the factory overclock and fan curves from my GPU potentially making my card slower and noisier? Will there be a firmware from Asus for this?

xeromist
I was thinking you might switch temporarily for BIOS access, then switch back the rest of the time. You could even leave both cables connected and just switch inputs on the monitor so you don't have to climb around under a desk.

I'm not sure what version of HDMI that card has but you might not be able to get 1440p@175hz. However you likely aren't getting that many frames in newer games anyway. So it might not feel all that different.

As for firmware, if you flash to a vanilla Nvidia firmware you might have issues, but is this intended for any 960 card? Maybe it's not actually replacing the firmware but patching something not part of the ASUS firmware? Regardless, if it's not compatible the tool should at least provide a warning if not prevent the flash entirely.

A major advantage of the Strix card is going to be the improved cooler so whatever firmware you have it should be able to sustain higher clocks for longer due to staying cooler.

I would not expect a new firmware from ASUS at this point, given the age of the card. You can check the product support page to see if anything newer is posted there.

The manual for the monitor says I can switch from DisplayPort 1.4 down to 1.2 for compatibility so I thought I would try that. When I go into the settings it's already on DP1.2 and there is no option for 1.4, only 1.1 or 1.2. I tried 1.1 but that limits me to 60hz and the beeping is still happening. Looks like the manual is wrong as the webpage for the screen says it has DP1.2. The GPU is compatible with DP1.2 according to the box so this option doesn't help.

xeromist wrote:
I was thinking you might switch temporarily for BIOS access, then switch back the rest of the time. You could even leave both cables connected and just switch inputs on the monitor so you don't have to climb around under a desk.

I'm not sure what version of HDMI that card has but you might not be able to get 1440p@175hz. However you likely aren't getting that many frames in newer games anyway. So it might not feel all that different.

My card does HDMI2.0 according to the box. Also my card possibly can't do G-sync with my new monitor so it won't matter if HDMI doesn't do G-sync.

BigJohnny
Level 13
HDMI will limit you to 60Hz.

You may need to update your GPU's DisplayPort firmware. See here:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Ecmslee wrote:
You may need to update your GPU's DisplayPort firmware. See here:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/nv-uefi-update-x64/

Hopefully just using HDMI instead is an easier solution until I can get a newer GPU. 🙂