cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS PG248Q ROG Swift 24" 180Hz Release date?

MatG
Level 9
Any info on when PG248Q will be released?
15 REPLIES 15

RPGWiZaRD
Level 7
MatG wrote:
Any info on when PG248Q will be released?

I wonder too, I'm really really holding off for this monitor, my ancient ViewSonic 120Hz 1680x1050 monitor is definitely in need of an upgrade and I don't want 1440p since I think the dimensions are too huge when you sit close to the monitor that you have to start turning your head and 180Hz @ 1080p makes this particular monitor that much more interesting too. A perfect e-sports monitor for sure that it's targeted for. 🙂

Yes i really would like to know too, because i just sold my HP ZR30w because i wanted a gamer 1080p beast screen, so please tell me when! because now im playing with my panasonic 42" plasma TV and is to big! xD

I'm also waiting for the release of this monitor. Any word on when we can expect it? Or the price for that matter?
Here's to hoping it won't be in the 1k (€ or $) region, always found that a bit steep for a pc monitor.

rotorama wrote:
I'm also waiting for the release of this monitor. Any word on when we can expect it? Or the price for that matter?
Here's to hoping it won't be in the 1k (€ or $) region, always found that a bit steep for a pc monitor.

A monitor that small surely won't be that expensive. I'm guessing 350-400 euros.

Janne-71 wrote:
A monitor that small surely won't be that expensive. I'm guessing 350-400 euros.

I wish would be that price but i don't think that is going to happen, the benq xl2420g cost already around 600 euros, im sure this one it will stay the same or even more..

RPGWiZaRD
Level 7
My best educated guess is they aim for $449 USD / ~500 EUR MSRP (due the poor EUR currency value atm).

The BenQ is oudated by now and likely is discontinued/not being restocked due poor sales numbers and is just hanging there in the remaining stocks etailer got (at that price, it's no surprise) and therefore likely the price isn't actively being adjusted anymore to reflect nowadays value and generally older products pricing can be a bit misguiding (like older gen GPUs aren't typically either dropped as much in price as they should from performance vs price ratio point of view versus the current gen, hello Titan X, 980 Ti....).

Acer XB241H should be a much better comparison that was launched in January-February this year is likely very similar (same panel?) to what this ASUS 180Hz will be like as they both support overclocking to 180Hz and GSYNC and the Acer costs 429€ in Germany (add +50€ to where I live in expensive Finland for example) and $410 USD (Amazon.com and newegg.com) as we speak and launched at 430~$449 so already has dropped in price a little. ASUS looking at history seems to always wanna price themselves $50 or so above Acer (look up that 1440p gamer monitor race) and the product is yet to be launched so $450 / ~500 EUR seems like a safe bet. It roughly also meets the critical price point where I expect a TN-panel 24" 1080p to be able to get sold today, even if it's targeted towards the e-sports scene it will still need to find its home to ordinary homes too and more casual gamers with deep pockets seems to wanna go ultra-wide 34-35" or the latest addition of 4K 144Hz and poor gamers (typical young CS kiddos) still go for those cheap 144Hz BenQ xl2411z due pricing & popularity and when the pricing of 1440p has gotten that low (the average customer still wants as cheap and big res/screen as possible that money can buy) I just don't see it generating that much sales above that price point even with a strong e-sports advertising.

Having said that and knowing reality that 24"/1080p is starting to get uninteresting for the majority of #PCMastersRace out there at this point I'm glad(!) that ASUS still brings out this product to please us minority who thinks 24"/1080p is just "right" size especially for more competitive minded gaming (the smaller screen the easier it is to focus on the action on screen without having to move your head/eyes so much). 🙂 Of course being a TN panel and 1080p also makes a lot of sense in this case due 180Hz support, IPS isn't fast enough to be able to take advantage of 180Hz and would very likely lead to reverse ghosting (white halos around objects) in combination with agressive OD settings and the actual response times might even get higher as seen in the 165Hz 1440p IPS monitors. 1080p will also help to keep down the GPU requirements, 1440p@180Hz even if there would be enough bandwidth would require whatever you can buy, like GTX 1070/1080 SLI setups (out of budget for 99% of the PC gamers).

Any news about the release date?

Yush1ro wrote:
Any news about the release date?

Already in some regions. Currently unavailable in my country but was available for short period of time 🙂
Seems like too limited shipments from ASUS.
https://www.amazon.de/gp/offer-listing/B01I3KMEAC
https://www.scan.co.uk/products/24-asus-pg248q-monitor-180hz-oc-nvidia-g-sync-tn-full-hd-1ms-10001-b...

Judging from preliminary reviews, I had wished ASUS has went for a 165Hz native refresh rate instead of 144Hz native with up to 180Hz by overclocking. It had probably been much easier to balance image quality to not drop so drastically. Basically at 180Hz this monitor will have noticeably worse black levels and contrast ratio. I think a native 165Hz had been a much better compromise. Now I'm like only curious to FINALLY see someone comment how this fares at 160Hz and possibly 170Hz in terms of contrast and showing a blank black screen for backlight uniformity. There's like 4 "semi professional" reviews out there but NONE of them comment on 160 and 170Hz modes, only 144 and 180Hz, so disturbing! I want to know where the sweetspot for image quality vs performance goes, to me it seems to take too much of a hit at 180Hz and I'm not the kind of guy that keeps wanna switch settings around, I rather prefer the best compromise setting (the best quality vs performance setting).

It's unfortunate that it has issues with backlight/black levels at 180Hz as that is one of the things I'd have hoped to get a huge improvement from my current old 120Hz display that I have to keep at 23% brightness (ideal setting would be like 30-32%) due backlight bleed turning the screen too much blue otherwise.

Now if only there would exist an IPS 24" 1080p GSYNC 165Hz native (hopefully with a revolutionary fast IPS panel that it can handle 165Hz without any issues like the current 1440p 165Hz IPS displays can't fully keep up with like reviews have shown). I'm positive that even CSGO pros wouldn't be able to notice any difference in response times on the fastest IPS around and some might even prefer the added image quality in the negliable difference in performance. Now for the home user it would be an even more obvious choice apart from the price which would definitely set off quite a lot and going for 1440p instead. Not me though as I'm really looking for a 1080p display and would pay like up to $550 / 599 € for an IPS version even (in case ASUS is reading this and being like "no we are too worried about the skyhigh price of a IPS/1080p/GSYNC/144Hz(+) that ppl would just go 1440p" <- but it's not true if that's the case. Right now many gamers prefer 24"/1080p due much smaller GPU requirements and the less wide FOV makes it easier to focus on the action on screen so it's a suitable size for more hardcore fast paced gaming especially.

Due the image quality issues at 180Hz for this PG248Q I don't think the retail price should be more than $400 / 450 € TBH, as the 180Hz is kinda its selling point and then if you have to use it as a compromise, then it's not fully worth it. Besides, PG248Q's direct competitor, the Acer XB241H with also overclocking to 180Hz support is sitting at $399 / 399 € (lowest street price you find) today and I fail to see the ASUS being worth 100€ more, I'd pay 50€ for the more premium design though no doubt.