cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone do the PG279Q Firmware Update?

jinetix
Level 7
Has anyone here sent in their monitor to get the firmware update done? If so, please share your experience.

I have a PG279Q that's a couple months past the Amazon return period so I am contemplating sending it in for the firmware update as I'm having issues with a vertical slice of the middle of my monitor moving toward the right edge of my screen.

I've had good luck with the panel lottery and got a PG279q with no light bleeding issues so I have a few concerns with this firmware update process.

Did the firmware update fix the issue for you?
Did you get the monitor back in the same condition you sent it in?
Did you get the same monitor back or was it replaced with a different unit (serial number)?
How long were you without a monitor?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
15 REPLIES 15

I wanted to do the firmware update but Asus does not honor the warranty if you buy refurbished which is what I did from Newegg Canada. I fought for 3 weeks to only be told that they don't care and to just return the monitor.

fvolta wrote:
I wanted to do the firmware update but Asus does not honor the warranty if you buy refurbished which is what I did from Newegg Canada. I fought for 3 weeks to only be told that they don't care and to just return the monitor.

Sorry to hear about what happened.

Please kindly send me a PM with the RMA# and CaseID and I'll further escalate this issue.

I´ve made a new post but I will also answer to this thread.
In the picture from my PG279Q you see big vertical Stripes which I noticed.
Is it just the battlefield game or do I need the firmware update? Model is built in March 2017, but maybe they just didn´t implement the update.
I have it seen only in the mortar camera Animation from Dreadnought and in spawn menu Animation, but I also noticed sometimes small vertical lines on top of screen at some Battlefield scenes.

ah, it is from the game. second monitor from samsung showed the same bright stripes. Damn nobody sees it without me and Dice will never fix it.

sdmf74
Level 11
Just found out that their is a firmware update for this defective model & just as everyone else I am extremely disappointed (understatement) that Asus doesnt allow the customer to do the firmware update or has not offered an alternative solution!

I appreciate that Bahz has chimed in once about the issue but never replied to assure us a guarantee that our monitor would not be replaced with a different one which would most likely be heavily used and damaged physically or cosmetically. These monitors even brand new had MANY other issues even coming from the factory with fingerprints & filthy panels that could have only happened during assembly as well as bad uniformity and other issues.
I was very lucky to get a good one with minimal light bleed and minimal other issues, well aside from the issue that every 279q suffers from (the defect for which this thread is about). I do not want to risk sending this bulky monitor in for repair, too many stories about customers receiving their $800 monitor back disassembled with snapped ribbon cables, broken stands, etc.

I dont understand why asus doesnt offer us the oppertunity to send us a replacement g sync module that we can install ourselves & send the defective one back?

Bahz, I know you guys say that the fix requires special equipment to perform the firmware update but you guys allowed the customer to disassemble their monitor & install the DIY G sync kit when you offered it for the vg248qe monitor, I dont see why this should be any different. If you read this please let me know if you can offer us an alternative solution?
After all gsync was designed to eliminate horizontal tearing not introduce vertical tearing.
ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA

sdmf74
Level 11
Some great customer service there, smh
ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA