cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A cautionary tale of the PG278Q and ASUS RMA...

IAmPixelTwitch
Level 7
Honestly, I have 2 reasons for making this post...
1, To vent off some major frustrations.
2, To try and provide information so they may not get stung like I did.

My first monitor was basically DOA but the problems got worse and worse till I RMA it 6months in.
Gsync was new and information about issues was still not really available so it was hard to know if what was happening with the monitor was really to do with it being broken or if it was just "Gsync Issues". Once the issues started getting worse I started the RMA process and that is when the real troubles began.

Rather than going over every detail I prepared and image that will give you the basics...
http://imgur.com/O3Z6MKO

Honestly the worst customer service I have EVER had...
Now my second monitor is doing the same as the first just 6 months later.
Not to mention the many problems with the PG278Q that are not often mentioned.

• Phones or even metal hitting metal in the same room turns the screen black (both).
  • Strange vertical interlacing effect that is always there but is much worse on lower framerates (both).
  • The massively increased input lag when using the Turbo button to cap framerates.

Now in the middle of the second RMA and I just wish I could pay the extra and upgrade to the PG279Q or get a refund so I can get the DELL S2716DG which by all means is not as good as the PG278Q but it does have less persistent issues.

ASUS make great products, the PG278Q is close to one of them but it was not ready for launch.
I can accept the odd problem, especially when buying tech on the cutting edge.
What I cannot accept is a multi billion dollar company not being able to even spell check their support pages or provide even half decent support in general.

Well there we go 😞
Sad Pixel is a very sad Pixel indeed.
4 REPLIES 4

Ruttiger343
Level 7
Oh man it sounds awful! Wish I had spent more time on the forum before I plunged into my PG27AQ - which I initially thought was faulty but now seems to be working.

Then again it's only been 3 days, and since I'm based in HK, if this thing dies, then I am sh** out of luck if I were to ask for RMA. There is a number to a local distributor but it's always voice mail and they will never pick up the phone.

Fingers crossed that my PG27AQ will keep working...

Yea, good luck man!

Generally ASUS do make very good products its just, everyone I know in the UK that has had to deal with the RMA process is left angry and frustrated, well beyond that of the normal frustration of having something you like break. Depending on how the rest of my RMA plays out, I may just end up boycotting ASUS until I feel confident this side of their business improves.

Ruttiger343
Level 7
That will be a shame because ASUS does deliver good products - I recall when I first got into PC and PC gaming (around 1995!?), ASUS used to represent high quality with very competitive prices.

Now of course they are a premium brand, but unfortunately I don't get the impression that there is a lot of local tech support by them for users in Hong Kong - which is probably normal as ASUS had been firmly focusing on North America, UK and Europe where the PC master race thrives!

HK is still a console-dominated market.

Dysternaut
Level 7
Sorry to hear about your experience with them man, but as you have probably read on this forum, you are NOT alone. I have a long thread in genereal discussion about the abysmal service I have gotten.

Asus is a mere shadow of what it was back in the day. My advice is to stay away from their products in the future, cause it's the only way they'll learn.