cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4K HDR monitor PG27UQ may be obsolete the moment it comes out

deadchip12
Level 7
Released in 2018, 4K, 144Hz, G-sync...but HDR10?

I feel that next year dynamic HDR (Dolby Vision, HDR10+) will be the standard, something that PG27UQ does not support. With HDMI 2.1 specs finalized today and HDMI 2.1 TV most likely available next year as well, Variable Refresh Rate will be the equivalence of G-sync and people will opt for 4K HDR TVs to use as a monitor instead.

What left of PG27UQ to sell?
7 REPLIES 7

cljustin
Level 8
I'm still waiting patiently for it to release. G SYNC is the key part of this monitor with 144hz, 4k+ it'll be hard to let down

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
deadchip12 wrote:
Released in 2018, 4K, 144Hz, G-sync...but HDR10?

I feel that next year dynamic HDR (Dolby Vision, HDR10+) will be the standard, something that PG27UQ does not support. With HDMI 2.1 specs finalized today and HDMI 2.1 TV most likely available next year as well, Variable Refresh Rate will be the equivalence of G-sync and people will opt for 4K HDR TVs to use as a monitor instead.

What left of PG27UQ to sell?

The delay inherent in TVs will still be there. The amount of input lag makes a world of difference.

kathampy
Level 7
It's "G-SYNC HDR", not HDR10. Media players must specifically use the nVidia API to play HDR content. I don't know if this is dynamic or static. We don't know if it'll even support HDR10 over the HDMI input.

kathampy wrote:
It's "G-SYNC HDR", not HDR10. Media players must specifically use the nVidia API to play HDR content. I don't know if this is dynamic or static. We don't know if it'll even support HDR10 over the HDMI input.

https://www.geforce.com/en_US/gfecnt/whats-new/articles/nvidia-g-sync-hdr-announced-at-ces-2017

"These G-SYNC HDR monitors also come with support for HDR10 – the HDR format being adopted for PC gaming."

The term "G-Sync HDR" just means "G-sync" and "HDR". It's not a new type of HDR invented by Nvidia.

deadchip12 wrote:
https://www.geforce.com/en_US/gfecnt/whats-new/articles/nvidia-g-sync-hdr-announced-at-ces-2017

"These G-SYNC HDR monitors also come with support for HDR10 – the HDR format being adopted for PC gaming."

The term "G-Sync HDR" just means "G-sync" and "HDR". It's not a new type of HDR invented by Nvidia.

Based on initial investigation, it is proprietary because HDR can only be activated via NVAPI when using DisplayPort. I don’t think Windows will see it as a HDR monitor like a HDMI TV.

They said HDR10 because it was the only standard at the time. It’s unknown whether tone mapping and backlight control is performed by the G-SYNC module firmware or the driver. I doubt nVidia would trust this to the manufacturers since the G-SYNC module would need to be programmed per display model.

kathampy wrote:
HDR can only be activated via NVAPI when using DisplayPort

Can you provide the source for this? If this is true, meaning no HDR via HDMI, it is a no buy for me since I need to use the monitor for PS4 Pro as well.

deadchip12 wrote:
Can you provide the source for this? If this is true, meaning no HDR via HDMI, it is a no buy for me since I need to use the monitor for PS4 Pro as well.
madVR added support for HDR via NVAPI when this functionality was exposed in a driver update, but this most likely only applies to G-SYNC HDR via DisplayPort.

It's unknown whether the HDMI port supports HDR or not. For HDMI, HDR would be implemented entirely within the G-SYNC module so they could technically add HDR10+ support before launch.