cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Z13 GZ301ZE S3 Sleep Problems.

TheWired
Level 7
So... I Just called ASUS support to try to get this issue resolved, but... yeah, so here is the run down.

S0 is a horrible thing on laptops/windows/linux machines because it doesn't work, it drains battery and causes machines to over heat. ask me how I know. So my standard practice to maximize battery life and preserve the health of the machine is to force Connected Standby (S0 low power sleep) off and because I don't want recover tools to read my ram, I also disable hibernation.

To do this i first run:
powercfg /hibernate off

This disables hibernation, fast startup and any feature that uses hibernation in any way.

I then run
reg add HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power /v PlatformAoAcOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 0 \\Disables Modern Standby

This sets a Regedit Value that disables Connected Standby, Low Power Sleep and forces S3 Sleep to be on.

This then creates an issue where while charging or not, the device will turn on at some point and fail the restore from S3, this causes the system to become unresponsive. The RGB window on the back then does the stock animation. I do believe this is a firmware bug, so Is there a way I can contact or get this to the firmware team to get this fixed?

This is a great device over all(minus tilt support on the digitizer), but It would really suck if it doesn't properly support S3 or that it can't support S3 properly.
7 REPLIES 7

JeeHh
Level 7
Hi TheWired,

I'm one of the Z13 user, tried the normal sleep mode and it draining the battery every minutes or so. This tablet can't even last for half the day with just sleep mode on, wondering whether it is due to the power management firmware?

Mind to share what your average battery life for a normal use without any gaming. And any setting that can make this tablet last at least half the day with normal usage such as browsing and productivity?

I have not made any changes to windows settings but made a clean install of windows. Sometimes it freezes during sleep (still warm) and I need to hold the power button to force a shutdown. I'm not using hibernate, only sleep. I formerly owned a G14 which always woke up and got hot in normal sleep. For it to stay asleep i needed to use hibernate which was really annoying as it takes longer to boot and stresses the SSD. There is a troubleshoot tool for power save, but I have forgotten how to use it

S0 is a running computer. S1-5 is power save modes.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/kernel/system-sleeping-states

Andreasd083 wrote:
I have not made any changes to windows settings but made a clean install of windows. Sometimes it freezes during sleep (still warm) and I need to hold the power button to force a shutdown. I'm not using hibernate, only sleep. I formerly owned a G14 which always woke up and got hot in normal sleep. For it to stay asleep i needed to use hibernate which was really annoying as it takes longer to boot and stresses the SSD. There is a troubleshoot tool for power save, but I have forgotten how to use it

S0 is a running computer. S1-5 is power save modes.
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/kernel/system-sleeping-states

Is has not happend since updating the bios to 3.12

Hi all,

I'm a proud owner of a GZ301ZE together with the XG Mobile RTX3080 version....when it's connected (the XG Mobile) if I select 'sleep' the tablet appears to enter sleep however the XG Mobile backlight (behind the fan) remains on, this in itself isn't an issue. However when I hit the space bar to 'wake' the tablet up it appears to be starting form scratch (like a reboot) although there's no 'reboot' or 'starting' message. It's as though every application previously open has been closed.

I have had to resort to enabling the Hibernate option, I select this & everything seems to power back ok, furthermore Hibernate is a 'safer' option for me especially when I pack the tablet in its carry pouch & intend to travel for some time. I have found in the past that (a) sleep mode consumes power & the tablet remains quite warm & (b) much worse sometimes the tablet 'wakes' up in the pouch! Fortunately I found this out almost immediately & was able to remove it & shut it down. Had I not noticed, I hate to imagine how hot it would have got in it's carry pouch!

Ok, so up & until 2 days ago selecting 'sleep' with the Z13 connected to the XG Mobile (RTX3080 version) resulted in a WIN11 BSOD! Hibernate though seemed to work ok, every time.

I decided on a complete recovery-reset with the XG Mobile still connected, I let WIN11 update, installed the latest Armoury Crate & now selecting sleep, doesn't result in a BSOD. HOWEVER! The following happens:

1. Z13 appears to enter sleep mode, a short while (5/10 seconds) the rear lights in the see-through panel do their little LED chase, this lasts for a minute or two (maybe 3)? Then they go off altogether.

2. Z13 fan is still going albeit very slowly, same with the fan in the XG Mobile.

3. After about 5min or so the Z13 reboots, nothing is touched/moved to 'wake' it up, it does this on it's own. Upon reboot WIN11 appears to have started as if it was restarted.

What's interesting though while the Z13 appears to be in 'sleep' mode, pressing the keyboard for example wakes it up & everything is where you last left it!

Not sure if any ASUS TS people are monitoring this forum? If they are......HELP!

Some further detail to add, according to WinDbg the crash (or BSOD) is due to: WDF_VIOLATION (10d) & the offender is: IMAGE_NAME: GeneStor.sys. This I think is the card reader driver. I confirmed the current version is: V1.1.25.0 however on the Z13 Support page it lists a later version (V4.5.5.1) but it is dated the same date as the older file!

When I run the installer for V4.5.5.1 it appears to install & asks you to restart however upon restart the driver version doesn't change. If you do a manual install (Extract to only) & run the Install.cmd via WinPowershell it actually fails....

Asus, any ideas?

gn0m3r
Level 7

The same issue here, same symptoms as the guy from the OP post issuing. Why no response in more than a year, Asus?