cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X13 Flow cannot charge at 100W through left USB-C port

dejanh
Level 8
Hi there,

After using my X13 Flow stand-alone and in combination with XG Mobile for about 4-5 months, the left USB-C port all of a sudden no longer charges the laptop at the appropriate power. It doesn’t matter if I am using the XG Mobile plugged into the port or just the stock 100W charger, the result is the same. Machine appears to be charging at a measly 15W or so and throttles heavily since it is effectively unable to charge. It is detected as USB-PD and it knows it is the stock charger (or XG Mobile) that’s connected since I can use Turbo or Manual in Armoury Crate, but of course neither mode works properly since the charge rate is defunct. However, the right USB-C port is working without issues with the same charger and no throttling occurs. Again, for 4-5 months the left one worked without a hitch, but it no longer is.*

There have been no updates, no firmware updates, no UEFI (BIOS) updates or anything that correlate or coincide with the appearance of this problem. It simply started about a week ago while I was using the laptop as normal and has been an issue since. I have done full restore to factory multiple times to no effect, reflashed the UEFI using EZ Flash, and made sure that everything on the machine is up to date. Same issue persists. It is as though all of a sudden something is preventing the laptop from properly negotiating the charge rate with the stock charger on the left USB-C port. Again, the right port is still working fine.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it? I’m concerned that it is a systemic hardware issue with this machine since there have been a few other reports of the same type of failure from other users on Reddit.

Thank you!
3 REPLIES 3

GiordanoLuna
Level 7
[Hello. I'm sorry for what's happening to you. For my part I can tell you that I have exactly the same problem, but with the USB-C charging port on the right side. He also stopped charging from one moment to another. In fact it happened while working with my laptop, in charging mode of up to 80% and besides, I had not touched the port or the cable in weeks. I thought the charger had failed so I connected a generic 100w charger that I bought from Amazon with a Baseus USB-C cable compatible with 100w and the laptop worked again. Then, I bought an original power source online and when I connected it, it presented the same problem. Big surprise. Apparently, my computer has a serious electrical problem in one of the ports and it is not a problem of the charger. The only solution I see is to ask ASUS to receive my X13 and repair it. And I think you should do the same if you have a guarantee. It is no coincidence that exactly the same thing has happened to two users. I hope you can solve your problem. Greetings from Chile

GiordanoLuna wrote:
[Hello. I'm sorry for what's happening to you. For my part I can tell you that I have exactly the same problem, but with the USB-C charging port on the right side. He also stopped charging from one moment to another. In fact it happened while working with my laptop, in charging mode of up to 80% and besides, I had not touched the port or the cable in weeks. I thought the charger had failed so I connected a generic 100w charger that I bought from Amazon with a Baseus USB-C cable compatible with 100w and the laptop worked again. Then, I bought an original power source online and when I connected it, it presented the same problem. Big surprise. Apparently, my computer has a serious electrical problem in one of the ports and it is not a problem of the charger. The only solution I see is to ask ASUS to receive my X13 and repair it. And I think you should do the same if you have a guarantee. It is no coincidence that exactly the same thing has happened to two users. I hope you can solve your problem. Greetings from Chile

Hi there, I have the exact same problem and Im also from Chile. Could you tell me the who you contact or the steps you took to get your laptop fixed?

thanks

lcgd240
Level 7

Hello, I own a GV301RE model and I'm encountering the same issue. Fortunately, I have a 100W third-party charger, but as some of you may be aware, it only delivers 60W of power.

This problem seems to be related to the USB controller. In my experience, when this issue arises, the right USB-C 3.2 port also behaves erratically. I use a program called Twomon SE to utilize my phone as a secondary screen, which necessitates a stable USB connection. However, it frequently connects and disconnects repeatedly. which is the first symptom that something has gone wrong internally. 

After a while of doing my own thing, the battery warning appears, but the laptop was connected all the time. After a few resets the issue seems to go away, but this is the seccond time it has happened to me and I was wondering if someone found a solution or i should contact support.

Thanks!