cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wow. Easy way to trash a brand new $3500 laptop..(by overclocking G703V) - resolved

MrRuckus
Level 10
Asus, you should take note from Intel's XTU software, and virtually any other overclocking software for that matter.

Have my brand new G703V, decide to mess with it like any gamer would do. Set the clocks in the ROG center to 4.4Ghz, it reboots, it locks.. No problem, it should revert back to factory right? Reboot again, it locks on boot again. Obviously it cant take the 4.4Ghz OC I tried, why does it not revert back to stock???

Recovery also does not work. Its like its trying to load the settings in recovery also. I get into windows recovery, it locks a second later. Im now having to look for a Live CD I can rip to USB and boot off of it, so I can grab the esupport folder with all the drivers and software needed for a reload. However Im afraid that may be futile as this is a RAID 0 setup. Is the RAID hardware or software? Im not sure a live image will be able to retrieve any data off the C Drive?

Very poor planning for a simple failed OC. One would think it would revert back, not keep the settings on a failed OC on next boot..

-------------

EDIT: Wow I apologize.. I was a little too anxious to mess around with this laptop and completely bypassed the warning sign when running Rog Gaming Center.. The warning however does not give the power button for 20 second option. Are there 2 ways then to revert back?

Thanks again MasterC. I just happened to run right past the warning without reading it.

On a side note, I will say I have reinstalled Rog Gaming Center and have been using it. It seems there isnt much left in the tank past the extreme setting, which isnt a bad thing. Just normally there is some room left most of the time in a factory overclock, just doesnt seem to be in this case. With the dynamic clocks of the 1080 GTX, it pushes the graphics as hard as it can when heat allows. So overclocking any further is almost pointless as the GPU core chooses what clock it wants to run at regardless of manual overclock. I have been able to get some slight gains by undervolting the CPU, but thats about it. Which again is ok. Seems like you guys are getting the most you can out of it on the extreme setting which is nice to see.

Can you possibly confirm or deny that the vbios in this laptop is locked? Every previous ROG laptop I have owned, I have been able to get a ROM reading from GPUZ, and this laptop does not allow rom reading it seems?
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72
8 REPLIES 8

Clintlgm
Level 14
Sounds like you still in your 30 day return to vendor period, I think that's what I would do. then study up abit on this new model as to how OC goes for it.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Sounds like you still in your 30 day return to vendor period, I think that's what I would do. then study up abit on this new model as to how OC goes for it.

Well, wasnt too bad. I was in the process of running a non UEFI bootable thumb drive and disabled fast boot and secure boot. Strangly enough I missed my opportunity to go into the Bios on the reboot, and it booted windows, updated, and went to the desktop.. I then ran Rog Gaming Center, and it had reverted back to defaults... Rebooted, re-enabled fastboot/secure boot, back in windows. No need for a reload.

So if anyone gets caught in that situation or botch your OC with Rog Gaming Center, disable secure boot & Fast boot, it should revert back.

-----------------

No need to study up, I simply wont use Rog Gaming Center to OC. I know how Intel XTU works for the CPU and how Nvidia Inspector/MSI Afterburner/almost all other GPU OC utilities work. They dont apply the values at boot unless they are told to do so. Unlike ROG Gaming Center. Not really a surprise really, as most OC utilities by manufacturers are half baked. Gigabyte Easy tune comes to mind. I'll just stick to programs I know.
Just glad I dont have to reload this thing..
(ROG has simply become too expensive compared to the competition with same specs... 😞 )
MSI GE75 Raider 10SGS - i7 10750H - RTX 2080 Super - 32GB Ram - 1TB WD NVMe - 2TB 960 EVO - 300Hz 17inch Display
RETIRED: ALIENWARE R17 R5 - i7 8750H - GTX 1070 @ 1.9Ghz - 16GB DDR4 - NVMe 970 EVO 1TB - SSD 960 EVO 1TB
SOLD: ASUS G703VI-XH74K, RETIRED: ASUS G752VY-DH72, RETIRED: ASUS G750JH DB71 , RETIRED:ASUS G74Sx DH72

MrRuckus wrote:
Well, wasnt too bad. I was in the process of running a non UEFI bootable thumb drive and disabled fast boot and secure boot. Strangly enough I missed my opportunity to go into the Bios on the reboot, and it booted windows, updated, and went to the desktop.. I then ran Rog Gaming Center, and it had reverted back to defaults... Rebooted, re-enabled fastboot/secure boot, back in windows. No need for a reload.

So if anyone gets caught in that situation or botch your OC with Rog Gaming Center, disable secure boot & Fast boot, it should revert back.

-----------------

No need to study up, I simply wont use Rog Gaming Center to OC. I know how Intel XTU works for the CPU and how Nvidia Inspector/MSI Afterburner/almost all other GPU OC utilities work. They dont apply the values at boot unless they are told to do so. Unlike ROG Gaming Center. Not really a surprise really, as most OC utilities by manufacturers are half baked. Gigabyte Easy tune comes to mind. I'll just stick to programs I know.
Just glad I dont have to reload this thing..

Hi MrRuckus,

Sometimes it's easy to dismiss pop-ups, but if you were overclocking using ROG Gaming Center, a clear warning message with icons should have shown you what to do in the case of a failed OC. All you need to do is hold the power button for 20 seconds to reset the laptop.

What probably happened was that when you had an unstable overclock, the laptop went into a loop (at this point, holding the power button for 20 seconds should have fixed it). But at some point the BIOS watchdog probably realized something was wrong and reset the BIOS - that's why you were able to boot into Windows again.

Give ROG Gaming Center another try, if the warning message does not show up for you then let us know. Thanks!

JustinThyme
Level 13
What MasterC said, there is a clear pop up in XTU as well that doenst have the limits that gaming center does. Ive had to pull a laptop apart and pull the cmos battery to get one to reset after just trying to get 2800MHz RAM to run its XMP values.

If something goes amuck fast startup in windows will keep you chasing your tail as it keep loading whats screwed up. Simply saves the botch job to hiberfil.sys then reloads it. Another reason I dont use it. I prefer a fresh load of the kernel and drivers at every boot.

With these high end laptops what you get and whats in gaming center is about as far as I would go with it. Even then with the CPU thats pretty much maxed already I wouldnt push it unless you are sitting outside on your deck in subzero weather with it. Cooling is still a challange when you are packing that much power in a small confined package.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

MrRuckus
Level 10
Updated the top thread with my mistake. 😕

Curious if you've noticed any boot issues with your G703? I just had to return a GL702VI because it got progressively worse on refusing to fully boot, to the point that nothing other than a full reset would get it back. It might have been tied to the Creator update for Win10, but not sure. Still looking for performance but not sure I want to put another $1k into a laptop.

PhilG55vw wrote:
Curious if you've noticed any boot issues with your G703? I just had to return a GL702VI because it got progressively worse on refusing to fully boot, to the point that nothing other than a full reset would get it back. It might have been tied to the Creator update for Win10, but not sure. Still looking for performance but not sure I want to put another $1k into a laptop.

Probably you best bet it to build or buy a desktop for your serious gaming and OC experimenting
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Probably you best bet it to build or buy a desktop for your serious gaming and OC experimenting

Not a "serious" gamer, just like fast computers :). I've built mine in the past but find the laptop better for my current location.