cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worth Upgrading from G74SX?

Signal2Noise
Level 9
I've had subject laptop for a number of years now. While it's still *fairly* decent, the onboard GTX560M is showing it's age when it comes to some newer game titles recently, or on the cusp of being, released. Over its time I've maxed out the ram (16GB), added 512GB SSDs, and upgraded the wifi card. It's no slouch. Aside from the video card the only other issue I have with it is the keyboard can be problematic at times when it comes to keystroke lag. I've looked for BIOS updates and other slutions to no avail.

The other day I was in my local comp shop and a 'new' ASUS caught my eye: G752VY ( the 'vy' I think). I like the look of it and specs seem on par with the G74 but of course it has newer chipsets, Skylake, different SSD form factor, and what I think is a pretty good GTX970M gpu.

So what do you think fellow ROG owners? Would a complete laptop upgrade be worth it or is there something on the horizon I should be on the lookout for?

Games on laptop playing of late: Cities: Skylines, Homeworld Remastered & Deserts of Kharak, Skyrim.
Also use it for 3D design (Lightwave, Unity, CAD).
G74SX-DH71 | + 256GB Crucial M4 SSD , 16GB DDR3 SDRAM, Intel Centrino 6230 WiFi, Win 8 Pro
Peripherals: Steelseries Ikari laser mouse, Razer Ferox speakers, Audioengine D1 dac, Shure SRH840 headphones
4 REPLIES 4

JustinThyme
Level 13
The G752VY has the 980M, its the VT that has the 970M.
Having both laptops There is a huge difference, specs are actually quite different. I upgraded the wifi some time ago to the intel AC 7260 and installed a Samsung 850 pro SSD. The newer machines have G Sync as well, it wouldnt really make a difference if you had that on the older machines as they are not capable of reaching the frame rates.

3D marks firestrike scores

G752VY ~8500
G751JY~8500
G751JL ~4600
G74SX~1400

My Surface pro 4 with the I7 actually gets better 3D marks scores than the G74sx with the Intel Iris 540 grahics. around 2600
Something else that is noteworthy is the G752 models have M2 NVME drives that even the slowest ones are 4 times faster than the fastest SATA III SSDs. My G74SX sequential read is ~550MB/s where my G752VY with two M2 NVME drives in raid 0 is 2800MB/s

The waiting game is simple with anything technology related. If you wait for the next latest and greatest you will spend the rest of your life waiting.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

Clintlgm
Level 14
I don't know about any games but G752 VY has GTX 980m, some of the other models have only the 970m, of course you would do well to upgrade to a G752 be aware there are many different configurations, not only do you have to pay attention to the first 2 letters after G752 ?? there are usually 4 letters or numbers G752 ?? ???? that make a big difference in what you are actually buying and how it is configured. Research research, All G752 are not created equal.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Signal2Noise
Level 9
Hey, thanks for the feedback, thoughts, comparisons, and reminder on the model numbers. Looks like this will be a definite upgrade path for me and I will look into the details closer before clicking the BUY button.
G74SX-DH71 | + 256GB Crucial M4 SSD , 16GB DDR3 SDRAM, Intel Centrino 6230 WiFi, Win 8 Pro
Peripherals: Steelseries Ikari laser mouse, Razer Ferox speakers, Audioengine D1 dac, Shure SRH840 headphones

Ended up buying the G752VY-DH72 model due to GTX980M , Bluray, and 32GB ram (an easier upgrade to 64GB if necessary). I think the cooling is better on the VY compared to VT? Only drawback for price is the laptop still has only a 128GB SSD. I will upgrade that asap. Also will need to investigate need to upgrade WiFi card once I receive the laptop. Should have it Friday!

Now to go read the forums on preperations advice for new toy!