cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WLAN and ethernet speed issues

Retired
Not applicable
I just purchased a G75. The first time I booted it up, I formatted both hard drives and did a fresh install of Windows 7 64bit. I installed all the drivers from the disc, but only the software that I felt was necessary. Essentially all the hardware appears to be correctly installed with the correct drivers.

The issue is the wireless and ethernet connections. If I connect to the network using either one (Or even both at the same time), I get incredibly slow download speeds (about 60KBp/s with a lot of packet loss).

I know it's not the router or ISP since all the other PC's connected get the full download speed.
I have the latest drivers installed from the drivers section.
I've tried with G, B and N wireless and none of them make a difference.

I have completely exhausted all the ideas I have and I've hit a brick wall. I've restarted everything, reinstalled things, tried different options. I don't know if there is something I'm missing or haven't installed? Something I have to turn on or change? I find it hard to believe that both connections are faulty so I'm inclined to believe that I'm doing something wrong.

I realise that issues like these are hard to resolve, but If anyone has any ideas or have come across the same problem, I'd be willing to try anything. Thanks!
2 REPLIES 2

dstrakele
Level 14
If I were in your situation, I would examine the Windows System and Application Event Logs for Errors and Warnings that may point to a troubleshooting direction.

Alternatively, I would recommend an ASUS Factory Restore to return the laptop to its out-of-the-box condition. If Ethernet download speeds did not improve, I would take the laptop back to the retailer for an exchange.

Did you confirm the Ethernet cable you used was good by using it on your other computer?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

john_from_ohio
Level 11
Was it Win 7 SP1 64 bit install media or the old/original Win 7 install? Not sure but the pre SP1 stuff may not be figuring some parts of your system and it sounds likely perhaps that you have not been able to do the windows updates yet ...

Possibly a firewall going crazy and/or antivirus application working not so good?

This is definitely a good case for recommending that people start by making Asus recovery disks before getting creative unfortunately!