cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless speeds with G750JX

Lux55
Level 7
Zeroing in on picking up one of these, before I do I'd like some input from folks that may have connected one via wireless to a high speed ISP. My current Ideapad (2nd gen i7) only gets 20Mmbs up/down with Intel wireless on my Fios 75/35 service. I've done all the network optimazations for the interface. Ethernet connected I get 84/35. Would like to hear from anyone who may have connected a G750JX (or LW) to a similar ISP with wireless. I know the JH's have Killer wireless while the other models have (presumably) Intel wireless. Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

gazzacbr
Level 10
i can hear myself repeating this but once again,
do not assume anything about the model you are buying as all models have different combinations of wifi, atheros/broadcom/killer etc.
you would have to actually get the laptop running and check the devices panel to tell exactly which one you are getting.
seems to be no real correlation between model, JX/JW/JH and the internal parts.
same applies for ram, hd/ssd and even 2D/3D screen.

also, i think it is really unlikely that the card is the cause of your problems.
some cards could be more reliable/tolerant than others.
use a free program like inssider to check if you need to change channels to avoid interference from other neighbouring networks.
have you had the speed independently checked? you would need to do this over a period of time to get accurate results.
your isp could be regulating your speed at random times.
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

As Gazzacbr pointed out there are several varieties of the G750JX and they come with various wireless cards.

Realistically, there is no answer to your question about wireless speed other than for you to try it yourself. There are too many permutations of the JX paired with too many permutations of FIOS gateways for anyone to have a truly comparable setup. Add in other variables that affect throughput such as distance from gateway, structural considerations, and other environmental factors and the results you achieve will vary dramatically from anyone else.

OTOH I can tell you that no matter which setup you get you will be limited to Wireless N speeds. The good news is that you can probably expect better speeds than what you are achieving with your Ideapad, I suspect significantly so (though in real world use you will most likely still not be saturating your connection). The bad news is that if you do try it and only achieve 20mbps you have other issues that need to be addressed.

hmscott
Level 12
Lux55 wrote:
Zeroing in on picking up one of these, before I do I'd like some input from folks that may have connected one via wireless to a high speed ISP. My current Ideapad (2nd gen i7) only gets 20Mmbs up/down with Intel wireless on my Fios 75/35 service. I've done all the network optimazations for the interface. Ethernet connected I get 84/35. Would like to hear from anyone who may have connected a G750JX (or LW) to a similar ISP with wireless. I know the JH's have Killer wireless while the other models have (presumably) Intel wireless. Thanks.

My JX had an 802.11ac and it worked great with an Asus RT-AC66. My internet link is just 60Mbits, but I saw all of it on ethernet and the same speed on wireless 2.4/5ghz N and AC.

You can look at the edge of the box, it will tell you the wireless specs. Hopefully you can get the dealer to read it / email it to you before you purchase, if you can't be there to see it for yourself.

So far, the JW, JX, and JH have all had great wireless cards. I did have to update the firmware on all the routers to the latest to get the best performance, including the RT-AC68, it was doing pretty poorly with the JH till the firmware update - it has been solid since.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
I'll just note my personal experience. I have the Atheros. I'm connected to a CG3000 ( I know, I'll smash it one day, damn you Netgear )

I'm at around.. 15-20 meters away, with 3 double brick walls, and a metal stair well between me and the modem/router. My bed is metal frame, too.

I'm sitting on 4 bars stable, and my connection is 54mbps.

Hope this feedback will help you.

Driver:

Date issue: 16/07/2013

Revision: 2.1.0.21

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
Remember too that your router and its network configurations play a critical role in actual speed. Advertised speeds for cards and routers are also always the theoretical maximum, and are seen more in in-network speeds.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!