cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wireless internet drops randomly

Synned
Level 7
I have a G75VW-BBK5. The wireless internet will randomly drop and require me to right click and diagnose the connection before it will reconnect. This has been happening more frequent over the past few days. My friend has the same laptop and has the same issue at his house. When we are the same house together our laptops will lose connection at the same time.
Just post what details you need from me as I would love to get this fixed 😕

Thanks in advance.
-Synn
64,777 Views
34 REPLIES 34

soulctcher
Level 9
I'll say the same thing I've said in other threads...the Atheros card in the G75VW sucks. You might be able to fiddle around to get it to work better, but ever since I put an Intel 6235 in here, it's worked like a charm. 0% failure. Perfect.

Response to soulctcher: False, false, false, false. :mad: 😉

I've asked the same question to this community and ASUS Customer Support and my ISP.
None of them gave me the correct solution except for one guy that I know in real life that gave me the answer.

Solution is:
1. Go to your Wireless Settings on your modem (broadband router)
2. Change your 'Security Protocol', if it's on WPA2 - then change it to WPA
3. Change your Wireless password
4. Change your Network Name (SSID)
5. Save settings and turn off your modem (broadband router) & then turn on, of course 🙂

After this, the problem should be solved. If not, please tell and if it works, please tell aswell that it worked! :eek:

joyfulPo wrote:
Response to soulctcher: False, false, false, false. :mad: 😉

I've asked the same question to this community and ASUS Customer Support and my ISP.
None of them gave me the correct solution except for one guy that I know in real life that gave me the answer.

Solution is:
1. Go to your Wireless Settings on your modem (broadband router)
2. Change your 'Security Protocol', if it's on WPA2 - then change it to WPA
3. Change your Wireless password
4. Change your Network Name (SSID)
5. Save settings and turn off your modem (broadband router) & then turn on, of course 🙂

After this, the problem should be solved. If not, please tell and if it works, please tell aswell that it worked! :eek:

So, your "FIX" for this is to disable WPA2 (an actual SECURE protocol using AES encryption and not TKIP), and to enable WPA, an outdated, crackable wifi security setting?

This is a joke, and horrible advice. That is, unless you WANT people to break into your network. Please please please do not take this advice.

I am a certified CISSP in good standing and know what I'm talking about. (Verified here.)

soulctcher wrote:
So, your "FIX" for this is to disable WPA2 (an actual SECURE protocol using AES encryption and not TKIP), and to enable WPA, an outdated, crackable wifi security setting?

This is a joke, and horrible advice. That is, unless you WANT people to break into your network. Please please please do not take this advice.

I am a certified CISSP in good standing and know what I'm talking about. (Verified here.)


How many people break into somebodys wireless network? If they really badly wanted to break in, they will do it no matter if you have WPA2 or WPA.

But that is beside the point, are you saying I shouldn't share advice that fixes problems?
I think we let him be the judge of that. Infomartion is infomartion, don't be so judgey.

Isn't it more important to figure out why my solution fixes the problems?
Rather then telling me my solution to the problem is a joke?
Is this why we are here?
To tell people when they fixes "broken" things that they are a joke?

Why does the wireless do random disconnects with WPA2 but doesn't do random disconnects with WPA?
I think that is better questions than anything else.

joyfulPo wrote:
How many people break into somebodys wireless network? If they really badly wanted to break in, they will do it no matter if you have WPA2 or WPA.

But that is beside the point, are you saying I shouldn't share advice that fixes problems?
I think we let him be the judge of that. Infomartion is infomartion, don't be so judgey.

Isn't it more important to figure out why my solution fixes the problems?
Rather then telling me my solution to the problem is a joke?
Is this why we are here?
To tell people when they fixes "broken" things that they are a joke?

Why does the wireless do random disconnects with WPA2 but doesn't do random disconnects with WPA?
I think that is better questions than anything else.

There are countless cases of personal information being stolen due to wireless network security flaws. One of the easiest ways to gather personal information from people is due to insecure wireless networks. There are very simple scripting tools that can break into insecure wireless networks with ease.

The information you've posted is not a fix, it is a workaround. Unfortunately, that workaround decreases the security of the wireless connection to where it can be cracked quite easily. Removing security measures for performance at this level is not recommended. You can share what you did, but everyone should be aware that this lowers security on your network, making it vulnerable to attack. There is no judgement here, it is simple truth.

You stated the my original post was "false false false", yet now you state exactly the point I was getting across. The Atheros card is poor quality. You yourself obviously have a problem with the WPA2 implementation. I and others have also had issues with connectivity. The bottom line is that the card is a lower-end card. It only supports 1 stream, 1 band, and has issues.

Replacing the card is quite easy for anyone who is not a complete novice, however it will void your warranty. For the benefit of others, as I stated above, I replaced mine with the Intel 6235, and I have not had a single issue since. The new card has been 100% flawless with both wireless connectivity and with the Bluetooth stack. My recommendation is to replace the card, IF you are willing to void the warranty.

soulctcher wrote:
There are countless cases of personal information being stolen due to wireless network security flaws. One of the easiest ways to gather personal information from people is due to insecure wireless networks. There are very simple scripting tools that can break into insecure wireless networks with ease.

The information you've posted is not a fix, it is a workaround. Unfortunately, that workaround decreases the security of the wireless connection to where it can be cracked quite easily. Removing security measures for performance at this level is not recommended. You can share what you did, but everyone should be aware that this lowers security on your network, making it vulnerable to attack. There is no judgement here, it is simple truth.

You stated the my original post was "false false false", yet now you state exactly the point I was getting across. The Atheros card is poor quality. You yourself obviously have a problem with the WPA2 implementation. I and others have also had issues with connectivity. The bottom line is that the card is a lower-end card. It only supports 1 stream, 1 band, and has issues.

Replacing the card is quite easy for anyone who is not a complete novice, however it will void your warranty. For the benefit of others, as I stated above, I replaced mine with the Intel 6235, and I have not had a single issue since. The new card has been 100% flawless with both wireless connectivity and with the Bluetooth stack. My recommendation is to replace the card, IF you are willing to void the warranty.


Every ASUS product I own has had troubles with this. Sitting 10 feet from my router on my Prime and yet it is only 2 signal bar strengths. It doesnt drop out completely but drop in connectivity when I have a fiber 75/35 connection are intolerable to look at.

Well there is another thread on the same subject, that poster finaly solved his problems doing just the oppisite, changing to WPA 2 from WPA? I wonder if the changing itself some how has something to do with this solution. I myself have never experienced a drop of connection. I use DLink 655 rounters with WPA 2 security these router are not the fastest but 64 mbs is more than enough for my internet connection download speed of 40 mbs
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Well, I have not been able to fix this problem. Could someone recommend a network card I could buy for this laptop and maybe post a video to help me swap out the cards? If another solution is known please post it. I have been unable to play games because of my disconnecting issues.

soulctcher wrote:
I'll say the same thing I've said in other threads...the Atheros card in the G75VW sucks. You might be able to fiddle around to get it to work better, but ever since I put an Intel 6235 in here, it's worked like a charm. 0% failure. Perfect.


I am going to pick up this laptop today. If the atheros is really that bad, i would like to replace day one. can you post how you did so, if its simple then thats great.