cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8

coolsbrah
Level 7
Hello guys, wanted to ask you about window 8 on the 750JH

So im looking through the boxes and I dont see any CD for windows 8, I want to change the stock SSD from the JH cause I have a better one. My question is: How do I install the windows 8 after I insert the new SSD? Do I download a copy of windows 8 somewhere and then use my cd key to install it?
14 REPLIES 14

TekNiko
Level 8
I got a Windows 8 CD with my JX. It should be in the little box with all the manuals 🙂

coolsbrah
Level 7
I actually didnt get any cds, i got the manuals though ;/

coolsbrah
Level 7
Could I possibly create a recovery USB, install my new SSD and insert the USB and install win 8 using my recovery USB?

bootyroast
Level 9
Step 1 - Download Asus Backtracker
Step 2 - Backup your current installation onto a 16GB or bigger flash drive or external hard drive (bear in mind that all the information that is currently on the drive will be erased)
Step 3 - Install your SSD, remove the hard drive completely and start up the laptop with only the SSD inside
Step 4 - Keep pressing ESC while booting, when the Boot menu appears, select your backup USB/HDD
Step 5 - Wait for the process to finish then simply turn off your laptop and put the HDD back in the second bay, you may format it afterwards.

coolsbrah
Level 7
I just downloaded a windows 8 OEM ISO, can I just use the ISO, burn it into a USB and install it from there. The windows activation is automatic im assuming since its embedded in the G750 motherboard right? I'll much prefer a clean windows install.

coolsbrah wrote:
I just downloaded a windows 8 OEM ISO, can I just use the ISO, burn it into a USB and install it from there. The windows activation is automatic im assuming since its embedded in the G750 motherboard right? I'll much prefer a clean windows install.

This won't do. Part of the license is embedded in the motherboard but the proper certificate has to be on the OEM disk or installed afterwards. Use backtracker.

On a sidenote, no OEM is packing OEM Windows discs. Some pack a recovery disk which is an automated restore operation to factory defaults (image of the drive) not a stock OEM Windows installation disc.

Also you're not paying for copy of Windows. ASUS pays for an OEM license to install Windows on a laptop which is paid per system. This is how OEM licensing goes. They don't have the right to give you a copy of Windows. If you want one you have to buy it in Retail channels.
RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

TekNiko
Level 8
I have to stand corrected. I didn't get a windows 8 installation CD with mine. It turned out to be a drivers cd :eek:

EpIcSnIpErZ23
Level 8
Which is BS. Every other manufacturer gives Windows CD's. Are they trying to condone Piracy? xD
Desktop: [CPU: i5-4670k] [GPU: R9 290x] [RAM: 8GB] [HDD: 3x 1tb Raid 0] [MOBO: MSI Z87 M-Power]

Asus G750JW-DB71
CPU: Intel Core i7-4700HQ
GPU: Nvidia GTX 765m [GPU CLOCK: 997MHZ] [MEMORY CLOCK: 6 GHZ]
RAM: 12GB
HDD: 1x 1TB HDD
SSD: 1x 64GB SSD
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198055414700/
Origin ID: DriftingSloth

EpIcSnIpErZ23 wrote:
Which is BS. Every other manufacturer gives Windows CD's. Are they trying to condone Piracy? xD

Which OEMs hand out discs?

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!