cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 7 clean install for g74sx because resume is slow

Retired
Not applicable
Has anyone made a clean install for g74sx?. The reason for the question, I have been deleting a lot of of the software that it is not need it, what I think, but the lapy time for windows resume is as long as if I do a cold boot. I have another brands (sagers, toshibas, dells, lenovos, etc.) and they are very quick to come on from resume. Hey, even my little Asus EeePC is faster to come on. So I am thinking on start from scratch with a new fresh hard drive and windows installation.
I have been checking some other forums and they recommend to install W7 with the bios set up on EDI mode first. Once W7 is installed, change the registry to allow AHCI mode and reboot. While rebooting get into the bios an set AHCI mode and reboot again.
Some other forums say to leave the IDE setting since there is no noticeable gain performance on mechanical hard drives, SSD hard drives will have a performance gain noticeable.
With all these said. Can any one post a procedure and ONLY the require drivers/software to have a clean install?

BTW - I considered a Dell before buying the g74sx but I was sold on the performance and price.
14 REPLIES 14

fostert wrote:
When I got my G74 the first thing I did was download and burn three things: Hiren's BootCD 14, Windows 7 w/SP1 (seeJRd1st's sticky at top of posts on these forums), and Chastity's ASUS Driver and Application disk (http://pcaudio.ath.cx/stuff/g74sx_driverapps.rar). Boot with Hiren's BootCD, load gparted under the mini-linux boot on Hirens, and delete all partitions on both HDDs installed in my system (including the 25 GB ASUS recovery partition: useless). Make new partitions the way you want them. Boot the Windows CD, format partitions NTFS and install windoze.

Then install drivers from ASUS Driver and Application disk. Be very picky here and don't just install everything: fewest is best for lean fast system. For a good guide describing what each app is on this disk, look at
http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus...are-guide.html

Theres a good discussion in the thread below which shows a list of which drivers and other "polluteware" not to bother installing:
http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showth...-Got-the-g74sx!

And of course, use some common sense too: if you have never had a bluetooth nor ever plan on getting one, do not install the bluetooth driver and software.

fostert:

I realize that this is an approach that you like and feel works best for you. But I've seen you recommend this procedure to new users several times now, and I'd have to argue that it's really not good advice for most users who are new to clean installs.

The Hirens program is unnecessary and makes the process much more confusing and complicated than it needs to be. (All re-partitioning, if needed, can be done from within the Windows installer.) Suggesting that all partitions on both HDDs should be deleted is not appropriate for most users, and could result in serious data loss for an unknowing newbie who thinks they should be following those directions.

And finally, as JR just mentioned, using the Asus Drivers Disk is pointless....all the important drivers are old, and re-installing the bloatware defeats the purpose of doing the clean install in the first place. Downloading and burning that disc is a waste of time. (Especially since most owners got one with their laptop.)

JRd1st
Level 12
... and doing a clean install because resume is slow is pointless, too. All you need to do is to disable hibernation to delete hiberfil.sys, defrag your drive, then re-enabl hibernation and you get a new hiberfil.sys that's contiguous and all alone after the system and files. If that doesn't speed up resume, nothing besides an ssd or maybe a new disk driver will.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

fostert
Level 12
Sorry: OP asked "Can any one post a procedure and ONLY the require drivers/software to have a clean install?". I did just the procedures part, albeit probably not the most popular procedure.
Indeed, not being a well-versed Windows user/fan I didn't know you could repartition the drive during windows install. Thats good to know.
I agree with you that perhaps deleting all partitions is not the best advice: it may make most users nervous to do, and I should have clarified that I did this specifically because I needed a dual boot linux- windows system, so starting from ground zero is the only way.

But yes indeed stillon80s; take my response, average it with the reponses from others to have a clean install, and do something that resembles the mean.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

MGomesss
Level 7
I take almost 2 minutes to fully enter windows. Why is that? Should i format?

MGomesss wrote:
I take almost 2 minutes to fully enter windows. Why is that? Should i format?

its your nvidia drivers... Install nvidia drivers 268.37 that come with your Republic of gamers disk and dotn upgrade... I too have a broken Machine that cannot upgrade its Nvidia Drivers if i dont want to wait a minute to log in to windows..