cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Upgrade experiences

Maxter
Level 9
I would like to know what are your experiences with Windows 10 upgrade. I went from 8 to 8.1 with no issues at all. I'm thinking of going to Win 10 now. I had troubles with my Desktop at home and had to do a clean install.
Laptop is work computer, so I want to make an educated decision before "clicking" (I'm sure some people can relate and use this thread for their decision as well).

Cheers!
27 REPLIES 27

Maxter wrote:
I'm on the same boat, but I went risky and failed miserably. I'm back to 8.1. You might be correct into waiting for the update... Imma be waiting too now. Cheers!

Atleast they have the roll back feature, otherwise it would have been a different story 😞

I upgraded my 870 g750js without too much problems. Aside from the audio driver issue my upgrade from the insider preview to full windows 10 was fine. Was nice to not have to reinstall everything with a clean install (2.75 GB of internal storage) in case something messed up. So happy I move on from those single bed laptops. 🙂

I have only a small issue where windows reset my power settings to default to sleep on lid close and when it wakes it has a tdr error and needs a restart, I'm guessing that's linked to those gfx errors others have been talking about. Hope its fixed with new drivers.

Hi forum!

Hi have signed my upgrade but I don't had receved. Why?
ASUS G750JZ - T4044H with GX1000 black

Symho wrote:
Hi forum!

Hi have signed my upgrade but I don't had receved. Why?

They were supposed to be releasing the upgrades in groups. All depends when you signed up for it. If you took about a month after you saw the little icon, then you'll be waiting for a couple more weeks. I'm pretty sure that with the nVidia drivers issue (and now I'm reading about AMD having something similar - they are pretty quiet about it though), they might have slowed the updating allowance. You can, alternatively, force the download. There are ways to do this. A simple google search should come out with that answer.

rob54613 wrote:
I upgraded my 870 g750js without too much problems. Aside from the audio driver issue my upgrade from the insider preview to full windows 10 was fine. Was nice to not have to reinstall everything with a clean install (2.75 GB of internal storage) in case something messed up. So happy I move on from those single bed laptops. 🙂

I have only a small issue where windows reset my power settings to default to sleep on lid close and when it wakes it has a tdr error and needs a restart, I'm guessing that's linked to those gfx errors others have been talking about. Hope its fixed with new drivers.

Yep, the laptop will be stable until you start playing with the sleep/hybernate/battery modes. Then the drivers will quit working and you'll have a constant TDR error. Mine, in the end, was only working on battery mode. I plugged into outlet and it crashed.

AlexF
Level 7
Hi:

I tried almost 10 times the Windows 10 update from W8.1 and it has not been possible.

The best couple of attempts when booting showed an instantly black screen with a Circle of W10 but then it went back to W8.1

I must say that now I am tired and with all that I have read it seems that would be better to wait until those "Launching Issues" can be solved.

Regards.

Twiggy
Level 7
Upgraded to Windows 10 not too long ago on my G56JR. It mostly works fine, though, aside from the recommended-by-Asus ATK Package and Smart Gesture driver reinstallation (some extra work is OK), there's still the problem of Wi-Fi drivers. Specifically, how it gets a see-saw-y speed...it peaks, and then plummets, then goes back up, and does that all over again, again, and again. Sure is making things slower than it should be. Don't seem to be a problem with the router, as every other 2.4/5 GHz 802.11n device were able to get consistent speeds of 60 and 120 Mbps respectively.

What gives?

Hmm, it appears to be related to some other software on the same computer that makes use of the network connection... and it not playing nice with the OS and driver combination. It's the TP-LINK USB Printer Controller (something that can make a printer connected to the router appear as if directly connected to the PC).

Either way, I think I'll roll back to 8.1 for now... I don't want to deal with things not working quite right for now.

thunderbird
Level 7
Hi, G750JS

Upgrade to Windows 10, no problems so far. I then did a completely clean install of Win10, downloaded latest Nvidia Drivers and all working really well so far!

Seems very stable. Downloaded Intel XTU and dropped CPU volts as well. Early days, so we'll see how it goes.