cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win8 Preview Build - Anyone Trying?

Signal2Noise
Level 9
I'm just curious if anyone is going to be trying out the newly released Win8 Consumer Preview on their G74SX (or similar)? From what I'm reading so far drivers *should not* be a problem as Win7 versions are fine. I may take the plunge but might test the waters on my older yet still decent Dell XPS M1530 notebook first. There's an excellent article here with a step-by-step on install and activation. It would be nice if we can share experiences and feedback.

FYI, the actual Win8 iso is freely available via Microsoft's site.
G74SX-DH71 | + 256GB Crucial M4 SSD , 16GB DDR3 SDRAM, Intel Centrino 6230 WiFi, Win 8 Pro
Peripherals: Steelseries Ikari laser mouse, Razer Ferox speakers, Audioengine D1 dac, Shure SRH840 headphones
40 REPLIES 40

Signal2Noise
Level 9
That's excellent feedback, gg31hh!

So far, despite the odd hiccup here and there I'm getting the fuzzy feeling that Win8 will be fine on the G74SX. Since the OS is still in a preview stage I am sure drivers & software updates from various vendors will begin to get sorted out. I think I will end up going straight to my G74SX with Win8 instead of trying it on the older laptop first. Why not use the newest OS on the newest hardware, right?

As for the Bluetooth has anyone with the Intel 6230 Wi-Fi card tried the drivers with Win8?

gg31hh, have you tried emailing Autodesk about the AutoCAD issue? Perhaps they are (or will be) working on an update.
G74SX-DH71 | + 256GB Crucial M4 SSD , 16GB DDR3 SDRAM, Intel Centrino 6230 WiFi, Win 8 Pro
Peripherals: Steelseries Ikari laser mouse, Razer Ferox speakers, Audioengine D1 dac, Shure SRH840 headphones

Windows 8 seems great. It takes a while to get used to, though. And having to use Bing as the default IE 10 search engine is painful. Yes, I'm using IE 10. Hadn't used IE for anything but download other browsers since IE 6!

Microsoft Office 2010 installed great, no problems.
I wish the new Office suit came out by now, but, alas, can't get all Metro yet.
Also, all the apps in the Microsoft Store are free. You know, about.... 20 apps. Nothing interesting there.

Signal2Noise wrote:
That's excellent feedback, gg31hh!

So far, despite the odd hiccup here and there I'm getting the fuzzy feeling that Win8 will be fine on the G74SX. Since the OS is still in a preview stage I am sure drivers & software updates from various vendors will begin to get sorted out. I think I will end up going straight to my G74SX with Win8 instead of trying it on the older laptop first. Why not use the newest OS on the newest hardware, right?

As for the Bluetooth has anyone with the Intel 6230 Wi-Fi card tried the drivers with Win8?

gg31hh, have you tried emailing Autodesk about the AutoCAD issue? Perhaps they are (or will be) working on an update.

Thx for the compliment, mate.

As for Autodesk 2012.. No I have not gave them any feedback yet. but funny thing is that.. AUTOCAD 2011 (1 version older than CAD2012) ... I manage to get that working. So my gut feeling it has got something to do with .NET Framework

houndazs
Level 9
Installed it last night in VM, and will be installing it tonight on lab PC. Ill give an update Monday-ish as to my findings. So far with the hour i played with it, i actually like it. Its smooth and clean. Im going to try to "break" it this weekend, as a "normal" user would. I am also going to be hacking the registry and OS files to include .ini and .dll files to see if i can't get it back to a "windows 7" like feel.

I run a PC business and can hear the complaints that its "different" already. update to come.

-ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
-Intel i7-3930k @4.42GHz
-16GB CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 2133MHz
-Corsair Force Series GT SSD 240GB
- 2x 3TB WD Caviar Black (RAID 1)
- XFX ProSeries 1250W PSU
-3x ASUS VE248Q 24" Monitor
- 2x XFX 7970R
- Xigmatek Elysium Black Case
- CORSAIR H100 CPU Cooler
- Logitech G500 Mouse

Oh I also want to point out...

ASUS G74SX hardware can run in WINDOWS 8 - Just some minor (as Signal2Noise would use the word) 'hiccup' ........ The most annoying driver is the Bluetooth driver.

WLAN, SOUND, MIC, WEBCAM, TOUCHPAD & Keyboard (basic), USBs, HDMI; came working in windows8 without any drivers.

** i would note.. It come to my attention that when you first install win8, the OS did not recognised my computer (G74SX) as a laptop - DONT WORRY - to fix that issue, I just unplug my power supply (let it run with laptop batteries for a while) and then plug it back in, Then restart (This solve my missing 'sleep' and 'hibernation' power issue)

PS. I test it all by installing win8 Consumer Preview in its own partition . .... (not through Virtual Application)..

Cheers guys.. Hope this help~!!

PILGRIM
Level 11
A bit off-topic but wouldn't this Windows 8 be great for the ASUS Transformer Prime?..
I've been planning of getting one as my "everywhere" tablet/notebook.
Currently, it comes with Android Honeycomb OS. But since I like an OS with multitasking
capabilities, It might be worth the wait for the ASUS Transformer Prime with a Windows 8 OS
to be released later this year.

Check this review: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/mobile-news/what-i-want-asus-transformer-prime-running-windows-8/6338
ASUS G74SX-3DE

Kipper
Level 10
Everything is going mobile, this Win8 will most likely be nice on a tablet or phone.

I have always been one of those that jumped on every new version of Windows but this time I think I can go without.

PILGRIM
Level 11
A couple of questions for the early adopters of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview 64-bit:
Anybody who has done gaming (e.g. Skyrim, etc.) for this new Windows version?
Are there any performance or visual gains as compared to Windows 7 on any of the G-series?
ASUS G74SX-3DE

PILGRIM wrote:
A couple of questions for the early adopters of the Windows 8 Consumer Preview 64-bit:
Anybody who has done gaming (e.g. Skyrim, etc.) for this new Windows version?
Are there any performance or visual gains as compared to Windows 7 on any of the G-series?

I have tried, "From dust", "StarCraft II", "Anno2070" and "Assassin Creed 3" .... Working great n work without any error.

As for performance gain... hmmmmm. I dont really see any different - but in my heart i know im playing games in the new WINDOWS~!!

gg31hh wrote:
I have tried, "From dust", "StarCraft II", "Anno2070" and "Assassin Creed 3" .... Working great n work without any error.

As for performance gain... hmmmmm. I dont really see any different - but in my heart i know im playing games in the new WINDOWS~!!

Sweet!:) I'm going to test that number 8 on the weekend and see what's all the fuzz about it. Thanks..
ASUS G74SX-3DE