cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win10 and Win7 / 8.1 on GL552VW

Triton_se
Level 8
I am in need for an additional older Windows, XP, 7 or 8.1 for use with legacy apps/old musical hardware.

I want to keep my Win10 on C: (newer 250GB SSD)
I have the original slow 120GB SSD with Win10 in a drawer
I want to install, say Win7 (have DVD) or 8.1 (don't own) on the internal 1GB 2.5" HDD

Is there a way to select boot disk on startup or would I need to change this in BIOS every time?

I remember DOS commands/.bat files where you could select things (menu, choice, errorlevel is what I recall now)

I see Asus has mobo drivers for the OSs in GL552VW Support

If someone has a link to what I am looking for, plz post it

Thx 🙂
4 REPLIES 4

Jimbo93
Level 12
Triton.se wrote:
I am in need for an additional older Windows, XP, 7 or 8.1 for use with legacy apps/old musical hardware.

I want to keep my Win10 on C: (newer 250GB SSD)
I have the original slow 120GB SSD with Win10 in a drawer
I want to install, say Win7 (have DVD) or 8.1 (don't own) on the internal 1GB 2.5" HDD

Is there a way to select boot disk on startup or would I need to change this in BIOS every time?

I remember DOS commands/.bat files where you could select things (menu, choice, errorlevel is what I recall now)

I see Asus has mobo drivers for the OSs in GL552VW Support

If someone has a link to what I am looking for, plz post it

Thx 🙂

If I recall and its been years, the way dual boot works is similar for xp 7, 8, and 10. Then there is the linux way.
Heres an overview to get you started.

https://www.howtogeek.com/187789/dual-booting-explained-how-you-can-have-multiple-operating-systems-...

Triton_se
Level 8
Can't get it to work, Windows 7 x64 installs (35GB usage) but will freeze when loading files on startup (log shows hal.inf wasn't read, and the rest on that list)

I did the shrinking on both SSD and HDD but am wondering about the Asus download:

ASUS Live Update APP to ver3.6.8 - for Win 7 x64 - containing ALU_V3.6.8.zip with a SETUP.exe and data folders with .msi files

Where is the info on what that setup does? Does it unpack drivers or installs drivers on current OS.....

Ofcourse I didn't run it with a working Win10, but I have to get some drivers to read before / during Win 7 install since it doesn't fetch anything from internet

If I don't get any Asus response until I come home from work I'll have to insert the old SSD and run that setup.exe to see if it extracts the drivers or installs drivers on current OS...

Btw, Win 7 x64 was larger than I expected, I set 42GB to that drive, 35GB files were in drive after install (had 7GB free), so 60GB would be a safer minimum to test.

EDIT //

I found Asus EZ Installer Guide, it's supposed to be run before installing say Win 7

Complete EZ Installer guide from Asus:

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038870/

Triton_se
Level 8
Got Win7 x64 installed thanks to Asus EZ Installer, it created the USB ISO with data from my original Win7 x64 DVD.

Since I couldn't select to boot from USB (F8?) I had to change it in BIOS, and after the first restart during Win7 install I entered BIOS to set back normal boot. I shouldnt... that makes the install go wrong. Fix: Format the partition for Win7 and start installation from within Win10.
Note that Secure Boot has to be disabled in BIOS during install, or you'd get error message during boot. Also some CM*? had to be Enabled in BIOS.

Asus Live Update doesn't generate or fetch any files, drivers.

Found other thread, 6 years old about Win 7 and GL552VW, it shows a list with working Win10 x64 drivers.

SP1 nolonger can be fetched from Microsoft, I downloaded it from Techpowerup (visited them for ~15 years, 5 million downloads). Thanks to SP1 now GPU driver can be installed.

Windows Update doesn't fetch anything, I googled the error code and found a great solution on Youtube, haven't tested but ppl say it solved for them too.

Positive so far:
1. Laptop is way cooler than with Win10
2. File Explorer opens within 0.1 second

I even bought a new 250GB SSD last year because I found the original 120GB "too slow", in Win10 that is.

Haven't made or compared Win10/7 CPU, GPU or memory benches yet but will do when I get more working devices, drivers.

After work I'll fix the Win Update issue and start finding drivers, maybe Win Update can find some?

Asus does NOT have a single driver for Win 7, 8, 8.1 for this laptop, I dunno if Asus Live Update even is meant for Win7.

A bonus: I have Win7 x64 Home Premium Upgrade Anytime DVD, I can upgrade to many higher Win10 versions for free, if Microsoft still supports that.

Triton_se
Level 8
OK, Windows Update error 80072EFE https://youtu.be/aMxrJltzEFo is fixed and it updated & installed for hours (~170 Updates) 🙂

Keyboard lights are not on and I still have lots of devices without drivers.

Asus Live Update 3.6.8 hasn't fetched any drivers, some registration thing only, I uninstalled it completely.

Win 7 x64 Home Premium updated is huge, 58GB and the partition is 71GB