cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a good Antivirus program slow down my G751JY too much?

Xehanort
Level 8
I've been using my G751JY with basically just Windows Defender. I have Malwarebytes, which I use often, but the program is never working in the background or even starts at bootup. I close Maywarebytes after updates and a scan to save RAM and CPU usage.

But since these laptops are so powerfull, I wanted to ask you guys if I could leave Malwarebytes, and a good Antivirus program like Bitdefender or something, protecting my system without worrying about performace drops. I know it'll severely affect bootup time, but will I notice performance hiccups while editing video?

Thank you for your time.
9 REPLIES 9

Edweird
Level 10
I used Avast on mine and sometimes it ate up resources when it shouldn't. But...tbh...at 16 gigs of RAM and a beefy i7, it's not really noticeable except when it randomly starts scans and then you notice hickups.

I figured out that even though I'm not the "safest" of web surfers, Avast wasn't really doing much for me. In fact, now that I run just Windows Defender, that has caught the same stuff Avast has for me in the past, so ...

Currently I can't really give any points to a dedicated anti-virus unless you're trying to get yourself into trouble on purpose or just don't care where you go or what you do. Defender takes virtually zero resources for me and I don't notice any performance drops because of it. Then again, I recently went from 8 to the mentioned 16 gigs and got a 850 EVO as a boot and programs drive, so...idk, it may be that.

Sanctrum
Level 9
I am using ESET NOD (just antivirus - not firewall) and I did not notice any slowdowns (8GB RAM).

clockworksatan
Level 7
With the SSD being as quick as it is, the grunty i7 CPU and 16Gb of RAM, I'd be realy surprised to find any AV program that slows the G751 down too badly. I use Bitdefender free myself, which is perfect as it's really unobtrusive and has very little impact on resources. I also run a Malwarebytes scan every now and then too.
Asus ROG G751JT-T7115H
17.3" IPS, Intel i7-4720HQ, 16Gb RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX970m, 256Gb M.2 SSD + 1Tb SSHD

clockworksatan wrote:
With the SSD being as quick as it is, the grunty i7 CPU and 16Gb of RAM, I'd be realy surprised to find any AV program that slows the G751 down too badly. I use Bitdefender free myself, which is perfect as it's really unobtrusive and has very little impact on resources. I also run a Malwarebytes scan every now and then too.

I didn't know Bitdefender had a free version. Great, I might just pick that one.

Would you say that Bitdefender impacts any game or heavy work related performance? I want to protect my computer, but I also don't want to sacrifice my computer's resources for obvious reasons.

Xehanort wrote:
I didn't know Bitdefender had a free version. Great, I might just pick that one.

Would you say that Bitdefender impacts any game or heavy work related performance? I want to protect my computer, but I also don't want to sacrifice my computer's resources for obvious reasons.

I haven't noticed any problems, as it would appear to be very light on resources. One caveat that might put some people off is that it is VERY basic compared to many other AV programs, but I quite like that as it just sits quietly in the background monitoring things and scanning my drives.
Asus ROG G751JT-T7115H
17.3" IPS, Intel i7-4720HQ, 16Gb RAM, NVidia GeForce GTX970m, 256Gb M.2 SSD + 1Tb SSHD

Korth
Level 14
Ye olde Windows Task Manager is a quick-n-dirty way to see what's eating up all your system resources.

AVG and Avast are fairly lightweight. Kaspersky, F-Secure, and Sophos are featherweights. McAfee and Norton are bloated pigs (unless, of course, you subscribe for the lightweight costly corporate editions). Lightweight meaning largely insignificant processing power, memory, file system bloat, and network lag.

The first couple times you use your system after installing an AV will tend to be slow, but once they've interrogated and checksummed and listed and scanned all your files they'll largely just sit in the background and intercept badness as it pops up. I usually just run a fully comprehensive bottom-to-top scan of everything after first install to get it all done with.

Running two or more scanners simultaneously can severely impact performance. You should only have one antivirus, one antimalware, and one firewall (and one Microsoft Windows/Explorer Defender nanny thing) running at any one time, more will consume system resources and cause software conflicts.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

ciccio80
Level 9
I use Bitdefender (Free) and it works great, I didn't notice any slowdowns in 5 months. It's free if you register and it works great. It has some of the best virus detections according to many inernet testing sites.
On top of that, I too use Malwerbytes (free) too, but only to scan manually for malware from time to time (not running in background).

ciccio80 wrote:
I use Bitdefender (Free) and it works great, I didn't notice any slowdowns in 5 months. It's free if you register and it works great. It has some of the best virus detections according to many inernet testing sites.
On top of that, I too use Malwerbytes (free) too, but only to scan manually for malware from time to time (not running in background).

Would you say it causes lag on games, or any performance hiccups on heavy work related programs? It's the sacrifice in performance that's scaring me a bit, and we all know the resource hog Bitdefender can be...

ReDFoX2200
Level 7
I have bitdefender total security and I never had issues, (check ebay for low prices I got mine 2 years for just $12)

Edit: One more thing you should know about bitdefender, if u get 2015/2015 license they are all up-gradable to 2016 and that how you get cheap license