cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi problems... weak

Session101
Level 7
Hey guys,

just noticed today, that my Wifi just got worse.... The signal is 99% and im right next to the router and getting very slow/poor speed tests on this computer. I have done same tests on 2 others with a noticeably different results of this G55 getting 1mbps up to like 8mbps. The other computers are getting 19mbps and up to 25mbps on results. I especially noticed a difference when unplugged and AC plugged in. I would say 1mbps or less unplugged and 8mbps plugged in.

The following have been checked.
Power management for the wireless has been disabled.
I also have uninstalled and reinstalled the Atheros Wifi driver as well as the intel driver. I used the newest drivers off the ASUS website.

Still no improvement.

What else can i do? this is really bothering my because this computer should be faster than the other devices. My router is almost new with N wireless (and verifying speed with other devices leads me to blame this G55 for the fault).
6 REPLIES 6

13fist
Level 10
The atheros card is the second most replaced item in the G series right after swapping to ssd. I don't know why asus went cheap on the wifi but I recently replaced mine with intel 6235 advanced-n and the improvement is fantastic. The connection is so much more stable and my throughput speeds are closer to my other devices.

Alot of folks here opt for the bigfoot killer-n also a good card and can be had with or without the bluetooth.

I have the G75vw and swapping cards involved about 30, warranty voiding screws but only took about 20mins. For me it was a worthwhile upgrade. Don't know if your G55 would be any more difficult.

rewben
Level 13
there is still one thing you can try: the latest driver released by the atheros website. (i believe it's under AR813X AR815X Family Drivers; the latest being 2.1.0.21)

before i swapped my atheros card with intel 7260 .ac, it ran stably with 150mbps. my power plan is always at high performance.

Session101
Level 7
what's involved in the swap to the intel card?

rewben
Level 13
first, i am sorry for giving you the WRONG info. my bad. (you needed atheros wifi driver, not the LAN driver :/)
i used to get the drivers from here:
http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php
http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-download.php?chipset=61&system=8

to swap it, you basically disassemble the laptop, up to the keyboard. you might also need to take out the display panel, too. (the card is just under the display panel). however, you should be able to swap the card without doing that.

13fist
Level 10
Wish I could be of more help, but I don't have a G55 to take apart so I don't know what's involved specifically. If you had G75 I could do more. I've had mine open so many times I know where every screw goes.

Have you tried disabling the bluetooth? I've had this same problem on my G75 and it drove me crazy, I tried everything called multiple tech support. No one could help me, I was ready to send it off to Asus for repair. then I stumbled on a post here about the bluetooth interfering with the wifi. I turned off the bluetooth and now it works like a charm.