cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why i think asus RMA sucks

dunwanted
Level 8
I've had an issue with my laptop ever since i bought it. I've sent the laptop twice for RMA and nothing was fixed, the first time i didn't know what was wrong what i assumed was wrong was actually working perfectly
and the second time i send it i exactly know whats wrong which is the extreme high temps my laptop reaches while in idle, i explain this to them and then send it to RMA for repairs, and when i recieve my laptop
i check the paper work to see what they changed, and they only changed the fan........ they didn't even bother to check anything else and yesterday while in checking old pictures and deleting some of them my laptop shuts down due to overheating LOL

my first gaming laptop ( Asus Rog G751JL) is just a piece of junk that i bought for $1,100 US and spend around $300 US sending it to the us for the RMA (since i do not live in the USA).

Don't know if the RMA suck or i just have bad luck with the laptop i bought and with the RMA.
in the attached picture shows the temp my laptop reached when it shutdown, i was just looking at old pictures and deleting some of them.
25 REPLIES 25

Clintlgm
Level 14
Maybe you should PM Bahz or Cl-Albert they work for Asus and can possible help you get your issue resolved.

That said, in your picture I see that you are not Throttling, your peak temp was 78 C, these are not high temps, Not high enough to shut down your notebook, well for light loads or Idle that would be high.

Unfortunately many people have bad experience with tech support. It is important to document what your issues is and explain how to duplicate it.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Maybe you should PM Bahz or Cl-Albert they work for Asus and can possible help you get your issue resolved.

That said, in your picture I see that you are not Throttling, your peak temp was 78 C, these are not high temps, Not high enough to shut down your notebook, well for light loads or Idle that would be high.

Unfortunately many people have bad experience with tech support. It is important to document what your issues is and explain how to duplicate it.

Thanks for your answer, i know its not throttling but why does my laptop shuts downs every time it reaches those temps?

will pm them too see what they say and if they can help me, already spent 300 us sending and receiving laptop twice since i do not live in the states

JustinThyme
Level 13
First thing is to realize you bought the bottom of the barrel of the G751 lineup. Dont expect too much from it.

Its not the RMA system that sucks as much as it is the shops that are contracted to do warranty work, there are A LOT of complaints depending on where you are.
Hit up Bahz or cl-albert for RMA help.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

dunwanted
Level 8
you think its worth it sending it again, its going to be the 3rd time in about 3 months. It costs me around 150 us to send it and recieve, since i have to send it to the us first and the laptop is kinda heavy

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
dunwanted wrote:
you think its worth it sending it again, its going to be the 3rd time in about 3 months. It costs me around 150 us to send it and recieve, since i have to send it to the us first and the laptop is kinda heavy

Hi dunwanted, sorry to hear the system hasn't been working better for you.
Anyway, wanted to mention some things below to consider and feel free to discuss more here or by PM if you prefer.

• Noticed you may have sent it through your store before to be checked, and thought you may want to check with them again if you haven't already just to see if they can provide any better options this time (not sure about that, but if they upgraded anything for you, may be good to keep them involved too in case it's related to any of their upgrades).
  • If the system actually powers off during use, it makes me worried about the hardware, and if you send it in for RMA, make sure it's something repair can catch and also provide some concise suggestions if necessary. If repair doesn't see the problem when they get your notebook, they probably aren't going to be able to fix it, so you want to make sure they can catch it.
  • Not sure if you have been including the AC adapter with your RMAs (which we may not normally want sent in if it isn't related to the problem, but in this case it may be), but it's something to check or keep an eye on too. Make sure you are using the correct original ASUS AC adapter and give us the output details if you want to check into it more now.
  • If you're overclocking or doing anything unusual, try to put everything back to defaults/normal and see if that makes any difference.
  • Does the system power off when you run a benchmark or burn-in program? Expect that is something repair normally tries or checks, so just want to make sure you see a problem on your end when you try that.

cl-Albert wrote:
Hi dunwanted, sorry to hear the system hasn't been working better for you.
Anyway, wanted to mention some things below to consider and feel free to discuss more here or by PM if you prefer.

• Noticed you may have sent it through your store before to be checked, and thought you may want to check with them again if you haven't already just to see if they can provide any better options this time (not sure about that, but if they upgraded anything for you, may be good to keep them involved too in case it's related to any of their upgrades).
  • If the system actually powers off during use, it makes me worried about the hardware, and if you send it in for RMA, make sure it's something repair can catch and also provide some concise suggestions if necessary. If repair doesn't see the problem when they get your notebook, they probably aren't going to be able to fix it, so you want to make sure they can catch it.
  • Not sure if you have been including the AC adapter with your RMAs (which we may not normally want sent in if it isn't related to the problem, but in this case it may be), but it's something to check or keep an eye on too. Make sure you are using the correct original ASUS AC adapter and give us the output details if you want to check into it more now.

yes i sent it trough the company i bought my laptop ( excaliberpc.com) , they gave me the ASUS RMA and address to send it.
i gave an explanation of what was occurring since im not computer expert i do not know. the issue is that my pc goes to sleep at random times mostly while in heavy use, i my temps are fine for a laptop, while in heavy use like on CSGO my temps go from 73C-78C.
Yes i am using the original asus ac adapter my laptop came with, every time i sent my laptop for RMA i sent the AC adapter, but since i don't know exactly whats causing the problem i can't say. im just unlucky since i might have bought a faulty device. already wasted 300 US sending (i live outside the US, and bought the laptop while i was in the US) my laptop to RMA, for it to stay the same.
so i would like to know what are my options here?? if i should send it again or what?
tried checking event logs, this was just about 20 mins ago i was playing csgo and my laptop just went to sleep, highlighted with red square the time frame my laptop just went to sleep.
i have not overclocked anything on the laptop, i have runned several benchmarks and it did not turn off, also ran about 10 stress tests for 30 mins and only on one of those stress test my pc went to sleep or in hibernate randomly.

cl-Albert
dunwanted wrote:
my pc goes to sleep at random times mostly while in heavy use

Just want to try to confirm it is a hardware problem as best we can and try to figure out how repair will be able to see the problem to solve it.

• Don't expect repair likes hearing about random problems since they can be tougher to catch, but just wondering how often it happens and how easy will it be to see the problem? Is it once a day on average, once a week, etc. and do you have any suggestions for them to try?
  • So is it really a 'sleep' problem instead of a power off problem? How do you 'wake' up the system when the problem happens or do you just power if off and power it on?

dunwanted wrote:

Yes i am using the original asus ac adapter my laptop came with, every time i sent my laptop for RMA i sent the AC adapter, but since i don't know exactly whats causing the problem i can't say. im just unlucky since i might have bought a faulty device. already wasted 300 US sending (i live outside the US, and bought the laptop while i was in the US) my laptop to RMA, for it to stay the same.
so i would like to know what are my options here?? if i should send it again or what?

As long as it sounds like it is a hardware problem and we can tell repair how to see the problem, it's probably worth sending it back for repair unless you prefer to wait and see if you can find some way to solve it on your end.
We may also want to try to understand why it wasn't solved the previous 2 times though and if there's something else we can suggest for repair.

dunwanted wrote:

i have not overclocked anything on the laptop, i have runned several benchmarks and it did not turn off, also ran about 10 stress tests for 30 mins and only on one of those stress test my pc went to sleep or in hibernate randomly.

So did I read correctly here that out of 10 stress tests, the problem only occurred one time?
Unfortunately, it makes me concerned repair will not be able to catch it if you send it in again, but it's something you may want to mention for repair, so they know how difficult it will be to catch and don't run just one or two stress tests and think everything is okay.
If it's not too difficult to take a video of the problem, it might help if you want to talk to the call center more about it since you've sent in the unit before.

Hopefully others have some ideas too.

cl-Albert wrote:
Just want to try to confirm it is a hardware problem as best we can and try to figure out how repair will be able to see the problem to solve it.

• Don't expect repair likes hearing about random problems since they can be tougher to catch, but just wondering how often it happens and how easy will it be to see the problem? Is it once a day on average, once a week, etc. and do you have any suggestions for them to try?
  • So is it really a 'sleep' problem instead of a power off problem? How do you 'wake' up the system when the problem happens or do you just power if off and power it on?

yeah its very easy to catch, i use to think it was overheating because it always happens when I'm playing a game. yesterday i happened 3 times and today i played CSGO for about 30+ mins and it happened. im pretty sure its sleep mode, i resume it by pressing the keyboard, moving the mouse or pressing the power button. when i do so
the laptop resume what i was doing, and game is still running, and even its an online game it doesn't even disconnect me.

cl-Albert
dunwanted wrote:
cl-Albert wrote:

yeah its very easy to catch, i use to think it was overheating because it always happens when I'm playing a game. yesterday i happened 3 times and today i played CSGO for about 30+ mins and it happened. im pretty sure its sleep mode, i resume it by pressing the keyboard, moving the mouse or pressing the power button. when i do so
the laptop resume what i was doing, and game is still running, and even its an online game it doesn't even disconnect me.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it will be easy enough for repair to catch, but just curious if you have an external monitor connected too and if the 'sleep' problem occurs on just the notebook screen or both screens?

Assuming the problem isn't related to the stress tests, have you tried turning off all the sleep settings and letting the system sit for 2 or 3 hours to see if it goes to sleep by itself?
If the problem always shows up this way, thinking it may be better to ask repair to try something like this rather than just running a stress test for a half-hour which may not catch it.