cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why everyone hates Armoury Crate so much?

jabal
Level 7

Recently bought my first ROG laptop, previously Alienware user. I like Armoury Crate lot better than AW Command Center. In this subreddit everyone suggests to delete it. Why? What you use then?

9 REPLIES 9

QQ02
Level 11

There are some bugs here and there that pop up every once in a while, sometimes causing stuttering or other performance issues. They do occasionally get fixed until another one inevitably comes along. It is better than most other laptop manufacturers have, but it isn't exactly perfect either. A lot of people use G-Helper instead, which is definitely more comfortable to use. It also includes the functionality of the MyASUS app, meaning you can remove two apps and use one instead.

If you want something that runs on Linux, you'll have to get asusctl, supergfxctl instead as ASUS sadly doesn't consider Linux compatibility much.

Bogus5
Level 12

Have a look at the Task Manager and tell me, have you ever seen a manufacturer clutter up RAM like that? Apart from this lupanar, Armory Crate causes a lot of problems, and the worst thing is that there is basically no alternative to it. GHelper, meanwhile, is not a solution, as it greatly reduces CPU performance and makes writes to the system registry.

M0NG0
Level 10

'

Try this no bloat AC replacement'

https://github.com/seerge/g-helper

M⊕NG⊙

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin

Despite the number of subredditers who continue to refer others to G-Helper, they are not privy to the caveats associated. First and foremost, potential hardware damage is possible due to its power management, G-Helper does not know the exact speifications of our gaming notebooks and their power modes - such as Turbo Mode, etc. As such, it could either provide insufficient power, or overload the CPU and GPU which can cause hardware damage over time. On top of that, maximum performance and hardware security could be compromised. While some people welcome the simplicity of the solution, users who recommend this software should make others aware of the potential dangers and install at their own risk.

M0NG0
Level 10

That is Clearly stated on Git. If people do not read the info that's their fault. Maybe if asus didnt bloat the crap out of their software *cough *cough and opened the bios on machines other people paid for. Then maybe the company would do better instead of going by the wayside. Only so much Branding (Elite wallpaper) people will take before they walk away.

M⊕NG⊙

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin

The disclaimer does not 'clearly' state any of the caveats I have mentioned, is there somewhere else I should look?

image.png

Care to explain what you mean by opening the BIOS?

Untitled.jpg

Missed that part did ya? 

AC simply put is a resouce pig bloatware hooray for asus crapware.
Run a bench if capable against any other sys config app and the bench are eye opening.

AC Runs

Asus App Service
Asus Link Near
Asus Link Remote
Asus Optimization (For some laptops this controls keyboard backlight)
Asus Software Manager
Asus Switch
Asus System Analysis
Asus System Diagnosis
AsusCertService
                               Anyway nuff said.

As far as Open bios (unlocked for the slightly numb)

Things asus LOCKS on the device YOU paid for..........WHY? It is your laptop,warrant issues blah you can tell a smoker by the smell............

Animated startup logo (hooray for asus)This is awkward when using a high end laptop for business
No Mux Except thru boatware
P or E core MhV
DDR5 Voltage Control: Allows you to adjust your RAM's voltage level. Consult your kit's rated specs, as pumping too much voltage can kill your memory.
SB/HT Voltage Control: Voltage settings for the Southbridge and HyperTransport.
NB/PCIe/PLL Voltage Control: Voltage settings for the chipsets' power regulation circuits all inconveniently bundled together.
CPU PLL Voltage Control: Determines the voltage applied to the CPU's internal clock generators. Overvolting this setting is a quick way to send your processor to the grave.
DDR VTT Voltage Control: Determines the termination voltage for your system's RAM. Raising the VTT increases the current flow and can help increase stability.
NB Voltage Control: Voltage settings for the Northbridge chipset.
CPU NB VID Control: Voltage settings for the memory controller on the CPU. This can help with stability when overclocking.
CPU Voltage Control: Voltage settings for the processor.
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.): Short for eXtreme Memory Profile, X.M.P.-compatible RAM contain additional, pre-programmed settings tuned for both performance and overclocking.
System Memory Multiplier:
DRAM Timing Selectable: You may see the letters SPD in this section. This stands for Serial Presence Detect and refers to the information programmed into your memory modules by the manufacturer, which tells the BIOS what latencies and voltage to use at any given clockspeed to ensure compatibility. If left on Auto, your RAM will run at its pre-programmed SPD settings when overclocking. Otherwise, you can change this to Manual (or disabled) to and set your own latency timings.
Channel A/B/C Timing Settings: Refers to your RAM's timings or latencies, separated by memory channel.
and many many more setting you the owner of this laptop are LOCKED OUT by asus. Think I will go back to MSI after I burn this unit up. SK crap Speaking of SK crap iI ran a SK bench just to show whats possible with things UNLOCKED

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/67062866

M⊕NG⊙

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin

I still don't see anything about the concerns you should be raising when recommending it.

Which MSI (or another company) laptop gives users access to all those settings mentioned?

Bogus5
Level 12
GHelper cannot be a replacement for AC because its author does not have full knowledge of ASUS hardware and uses suspicious companion files.