cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Version Of ASUS GPU Tweak Should I Use With The G75VW On Win8 x64?

Enigma
Level 9
I'm looking at the official download page for GPU Tweak and there seem to be conflicting versions. I chose Win8 x64 as the OS and the page it takes me to has v 2.3.0.2 listed under the VGA category and specifically notes that it is compatible with Win8 x64, released on 1-21-13. But just below it in the Utilities category there is another version 2.3.6.0 that was released on 3-21-13 but it does not say if it is compatible with my OS.

So now I need to know, which version should I use?

Thanks!
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy.....and ideas are bulletproof".
15 REPLIES 15

Rogstalker
Level 7
none. GPU Tweak doesnt work on laptops.

Enigma
Level 9
That's strange, because I remember reading somewhere on the ROG forums today that the newer versions of GPU Tweak work fine with the G series notebooks. wish I could remember where it is. It's why I downloaded it in the first place. Can someone else confirm or disconfirm what's been said?
"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy.....and ideas are bulletproof".

Enigma
Level 9
I found the link:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?27388-Can-Asus-GPU-Tweak-rum-on-G75VW-with-GTX-660m

In that thread a member with over 100 posts AND a super moderator both say this it is OK to use GPU Tweak with the G75VW, which is clearly a notebook. The only difference is that the OP was referring to a G75VW with a 660M, whereas G75VW has a 670M. Surely it would work. So now the question is, which version do I need?

Thanks!

OK. Sorry, I havent read that post. Thats the same guy that said it wasnt meant to work on laptops, so Ive been using EVGA precision X.

HK-47
Level 10
I have used MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision X and Nvidia Inspector to OC my 660m in my G46vw. I have not used Asus GPU Tweak on my laptop only my desktop, but I am sure it works the same as the other apps. Nvidia Inspector will allow you to OC past the +135 boost clock limit by making a clock profile for the P0 state. The only down side is your clocks run at 3d freq 100%. With the other apps I found they keep the dedicated GPU active as well as long as they are open. Any GPU monitor app will keep your dedicate GPU clocked up 100% I use Afterburner and apply my overclock then of +135 GPU and +500 Memory. I then set afterburner to apply OC on on windows startup. Then I go into afterburner settings and disable start afterburner with windows. This allows your OC to be maintained and keep the card from staying at OC boost setting 100%. I am unsure if GPU tweak allows you to apply OC at startup but not launch the monitor app that polls the GPU for data, or if you even care if your GPU stays clocked up. I just figured I would share my finding.
-Desktop-
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero / AMD 5800x / 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RBG (CMT32GX4M4C3600C18) @ 3800 /2x Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 (Raid 0)/ 1x Samsung 860 Evo SSD / Corsair AX1200 PSU / ASUS Strix Helios Case / Corsair HydroX Custom Loop D5, CX7, XG7 420+280 Rad/ Asus Strix 3090 / Asus PG35VQ Ultrawide Monitor / Corsair Commander PRO 3x ql120, 4x ql140 fans / Edifier 1850DB Speakers + T5 Sub /
Asus Theta 7.1 Headset

HK-47 wrote:
I have used MSI Afterburner, EVGA Precision X and Nvidia Inspector to OC my 660m in my G46vw. I have not used Asus GPU Tweak on my laptop only my desktop, but I am sure it works the same as the other apps. Nvidia Inspector will allow you to OC past the +135 boost clock limit by making a clock profile for the P0 state. The only down side is your clocks run at 3d freq 100%. With the other apps I found they keep the dedicated GPU active as well as long as they are open. Any GPU monitor app will keep your dedicate GPU clocked up 100% I use Afterburner and apply my overclock then of +135 GPU and +500 Memory. I then set afterburner to apply OC on on windows startup. Then I go into afterburner settings and disable start afterburner with windows. This allows your OC to be maintained and keep the card from staying at OC boost setting 100%. I am unsure if GPU tweak allows you to apply OC at startup but not launch the monitor app that polls the GPU for data, or if you even care if your GPU stays clocked up. I just figured I would share my finding.

HK,

I've been using MSI for a couple of weeks now but how can I be sure that my card is overclocked all the time my G75VX is on?
Is merely checking "Apply overclocking at startup" enough to keep the card overclocked all the time or do I need to create profiles or keep MSI always open?

ShadyStan wrote:
HK,

I've been using MSI for a couple of weeks now but how can I be sure that my card is overclocked all the time my G75VX is on?
Is merely checking "Apply overclocking at startup" enough to keep the card overclocked all the time or do I need to create profiles or keep MSI always open?

Yes apply overclock at startup is enough to keep your card overclocked. To test it run a benchmark with no OC applied and OC app closed. Then run it again with OC applied and apply OC at system start checked and application closed and compare the scores or FPS. That is how I tested it anyways.

And you may have to make a profile as well not sure though. I have my profile saved to 1.
-Desktop-
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero / AMD 5800x / 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum RBG (CMT32GX4M4C3600C18) @ 3800 /2x Sabrent 1TB Rocket NVMe 4.0 (Raid 0)/ 1x Samsung 860 Evo SSD / Corsair AX1200 PSU / ASUS Strix Helios Case / Corsair HydroX Custom Loop D5, CX7, XG7 420+280 Rad/ Asus Strix 3090 / Asus PG35VQ Ultrawide Monitor / Corsair Commander PRO 3x ql120, 4x ql140 fans / Edifier 1850DB Speakers + T5 Sub /
Asus Theta 7.1 Headset

Noone has yet to say which version is the right version for the G75VW on Win8 x64, which was my original question. As I've stated before there is an older version released on an older date that mentions compatibility with Win8 x64, and another released on a later date with a higher version #, but does not mention Win8 x64. So this leaves confusion regarding which is the version I need. An answer is preferred either from staff or someone with a lot of posts. Thanks!

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=GPU+Tweak&p=9&s=13

Enigma wrote:
Noone has yet to say which version is the right version for the G75VW on Win8 x64, which was my original question. As I've stated before there is an older version released on an older date that mentions compatibility with Win8 x64, and another released on a later date with a higher version #, but does not mention Win8 x64. So this leaves confusion regarding which is the version I need. An answer is preferred either from staff or someone with a lot of posts. Thanks!

http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=GPU+Tweak&p=9&s=13

Searching for a needle in a haystack; or in your case, never having preformed a search at all. Tisk, tisk.

The ROG forum clearly has a GPU Tweak section, and that section clearly has a sticky which explains that G series laptops are not supported.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?10812-Own-a-G-series-notebook-and-trying-to-run-GPU-Tweak-S...

Use MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision.