cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Would Trigger the G53S Magnet Problem?

shiron236
Level 7
I usually keep my ROG G53s laptop on at all times to avoid the problem associated with the G53S Magnet (The magnet doesn't detect if my lid is closed or not) but for obvious reasons, I don't think it's the smartest thing to do. What triggers the "magnet" problem? I know a computer that's off or sleeping can cause it to happen but what if you only have the screen turned off? I know one of the battery options in the laptop is the option to allow your laptop screen to turn off. Would having that option turned on trigger this problem or does only sleeping and turning off the computer do that?
4 REPLIES 4

dstrakele
Level 14
As I understand it, a magnet in the lid of the laptop allows a magnetic switch in the base to detect the laptop lid is closed. Then the lid configuration of the power profile in effect is applied. In all configurations, the display is turned off, but the laptop may also shut down, hibernate, sleep, or do nothing (laptop display off, but laptop continues to run to power an external monitor).

The magnetic switch should change state once the laptop lid is opened, allowing the display to turn on, and the laptop to start or resume from sleep/hibernation. If the switch is defective, the state remains as it was in the closed position, and the laptop will not start, resume, or allow the display to turn on.

I would think if you shut the laptop down or sleep or hibernate it from the Start Menu and kept the lid open, the magnetic switch would remain in the "ON" state and the laptop would start or resume. But this may be overly simplistic.

There are other causes of a failure to boot, or a boot to black screen issue that do not involve the magnetic switch. Perhaps you are experiencing one of them.

You can use @Sadozai's magnet workaround to determine if you truly have a magnetic switch issue. See his post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5396-Magnetic-sensor-switch-issue-on-Asus-G53SW-XN1-when-cl....

@Sadozai has as good an understanding of this issue as anyone, so he may be a good guy to PM if he doesn't weigh in on your thread. Discussing this issue at length does tend to bring him to a murderous rage (see http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5396-Magnetic-sensor-switch-issue-on-Asus-G53SW-XN1-when-cl...) , so go easy... ;>{)>

Have you considered getting your laptop repaired?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
As I understand it, a magnet in the lid of the laptop allows a magnetic switch in the base to detect the laptop lid is closed. Then the lid configuration of the power profile in effect is applied. In all configurations, the display is turned off, but the laptop may also shut down, hibernate, sleep, or do nothing (laptop display off, but laptop continues to run to power an external monitor).

The magnetic switch should change state once the laptop lid is opened, allowing the display to turn on, and the laptop to start or resume from sleep/hibernation. If the switch is defective, the state remains as it was in the closed position, and the laptop will not start, resume, or allow the display to turn on.

I would think if you shut the laptop down or sleep or hibernate it from the Start Menu and kept the lid open, the magnetic switch would remain in the "ON" state and the laptop would start or resume. But this may be overly simplistic.

There are other causes of a failure to boot, or a boot to black screen issue that do not involve the magnetic switch. Perhaps you are experiencing one of them.

You can use @Sadozai's magnet workaround to determine if you truly have a magnetic switch issue. See his post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5396-Magnetic-sensor-switch-issue-on-Asus-G53SW-XN1-when-cl.... @Sadozai has as good an understanding of this issue as anyone, so he may be a good guy to PM if he doesn't weigh in on your thread. Discussing this issue at length does tend to bring him to a murderous rage, so go easy... ;>{)>

Have you considered getting your laptop repaired?

Haha, thanks for the help. I appreciate your thorough response to the thread.

I am thinking about getting it repaired, but I need to find a place to get it repaired.

Also from what I've observed, even when the laptop is asleep with the lid open, the monitor sometimes doesn't turn on. Of course, I'm not completely sure about that because I may have been too impatient for my laptop to wake up. I did try turning on my laptop with a HDMI connected to a separate monitor, but the results were mixed. Perhaps, it may not be a magnetic issue as you suggested?

I did try using a magnet before but the magnet I was using was weak. Is there a certain type of magnet I have to use to check?

shiron236 wrote:
I did try using a magnet before but the magnet I was using was weak. Is there a certain type of magnet I have to use to check?

See Sadozai's post #67, and where he got the magnet in post #68.
http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5396-Magnetic-sensor-switch-issue-on-Asus-G53SW-XN1-when-cl...

EDIT: Ops.. didn't see dstrakele posted the same thing a little earlier..
ASUS G74SX-3DE

dstrakele
Level 14
Take a look at @Sadozai's magnet and his description of it. There's no shortage of pics of it in the post I referenced...
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT