cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well seems like our 980m will be outdated soon...(990m announced)

Zaedric
Level 8
Why nvidia why!!
990m announced
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-mobility-gtx-990m-q4-2015-faster-than-gtx-980/

Wonder how much it'll cost. Hopefully it isn't too much of a difference though it does say this beast is equal or if not faster than a 980 desktop GPU chip. DAMN!

Prepare guys, mobile GPUs are about to close the gap .
14 REPLIES 14

antoine52200
Level 8
Yeah great news, a mobile gpu as powerful as a 980m in SLI.. and more powerful than a 980.. Amazing!

Looks like i'm gonna sell my G751 sonner than i though!

Anolin
Level 9
Aaaaaaaaand my new G751JY-DB72 just arrived today.

Oh well, technology marches on...

Anolin wrote:
Aaaaaaaaand my new G751JY-DB72 just arrived today.

Oh well, technology marches on...

Haha, I know how it feels. Got my laptop a week ago and to see the news of the new gpu heartens me. I think i'll have to stick with the g751 for now xD, one can only tell the new gpu will cost a ton!

ciccio80
Level 9
The article mentiones hat it could consume up to 180W !!!!!
Since it is presumebly the same die tecnology than 980m, the 990m should essentially be a bigger 980m with a BIG HEAT signiture.
I'll stick with the 980m for now. Better to wait for the new tecnology in 2-3 years

mdzcpa
Level 12
Try not to feel bad. Most of us have been in this game for a while now. Doesn't bother me in the least. As long as my laptop does it's job for the 2-3 years I was planning on, I couldn't care less what comes out that's fast or better.

XOIIO
Level 7
And here I am on the 970m 😕

Nader
Level 8
Technology marshes on. Time to accept that.
I can live with gtx970m on lower settings for the next 5 years (If I have to).

Korth
Level 14
Laptops are basically disposable anyhow. Same as smartphones, tablets, any other mobile device. After two years the battery becomes elderly, the screen seems to lose its lustre, the keyboard is kinda gunked, the drives and memory are too slow and too small, the processor just can't compare ... it all still works well enough for the most part, but it seems sluggish and unresponsive and "ugly" compared to all the latest-and-greatest shiny new toys.

There aren't very many laptop models which offer realistic component upgrade options. You wouldn't expect to be able to drop a faster processor into your smartphone, either. The machine is pretty much an "as-is" all-or-nothing package deal.

I would expect about 2-3 years of life from a new laptop or smartphone, and I wouldn't seriously expect it to hold any real resale value once I'm done with it. I basically divide the price of the laptop by 30 to work out a sort of "monthly cost", lol. Surprisingly, the costs work out about the same for me as the endless part upgrades on (far more powerful but completely immobile) desktop machines.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Nader
Level 8
Maybe I should have bought MSI Laptop cause you can easily replace the graphic card.
Then again Asus offers IPS Monitor which as amazing color quality and the low temp is a plus.