cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well, Don't I Feel Like A Bonehead...

SHADO
Level 9
I've had my G75 since the first of May, and have been nothing but impressed with it (except for the speakers). But the appearance of the touchpad has always annoyed me. It just didn't look quite "right" to me. So over the last couple of days, I've watched about 20 unboxings/reviews of the G75 on You Tube. And everyone else's touchpad seemed to look as crappy as mine, until I watched the last one. It made mention of the fact that there was a protective layer of plastic on the touchpad that could be removed. So I wrestled with it trying to get ahold of a corner so I could peel it off. For a minute I thought the guy was mistaken. But I finally got ahold of it, and sure enough, it was meant to be removed! Loving the look of my "new" touchpad now. But I sure feel like an idiot, LOL...
ASUS G75VW
i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
GTX 660M (2GB)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
1TB HDD
2TB HDD
Blu-ray Writer (Pana. UJ-260)
23 REPLIES 23

So the plastic you removed from trac-pad was transparent? Or was it black? tia

dogfart wrote:
So the plastic you removed from trac-pad was transparent? Or was it black? tia

It's transparent. 🙂
ASUS G75VW
i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
GTX 660M (2GB)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
1TB HDD
2TB HDD

Add +1 idiots to your list... Just figured this out last night by accident whilst cleaning my computer with an LCD wipe. Some moisture got into the corners of the trackpad, and I caught a glimpse of one of the corners wanting to roll up (kinda how stickers to that when you get them wet lol) and finally got a thumb nail underneath it and was SOO relieved! (also felt like a freakin idiot) It's good to know that I am not the only person that was tricked by this layer. What did impress me was the ability of them to be able to apply a piece of plastic so well, as to trick us into thinking that it was a cohesive part of a whole. I have also removed the monstrous sticker on the right hand side of the palm rest that states all of the specs for the laptop.. Between that and feeling how the trackpad actually should, I've become much more comfortable with my new laptop. Just got a G55VW-DS71 for 999.99 on eBay, free shipping, open-box. Came with driver CD, stickers, and printed manual, but no back-pack or USB mouse. (no big deal I have tons of them that are better!) I've created my Factory DVDc, tested them, and am now onto learning more about UEFI, and installing a dual-boot with Win 7x64 Premium Home (ASUS Factory) and Linux Mint 15. Wish me luck!!

MikeyV311 wrote:
Add +1 idiots to your list... Just figured this out last night by accident whilst cleaning my computer with an LCD wipe. Some moisture got into the corners of the trackpad, and I caught a glimpse of one of the corners wanting to roll up (kinda how stickers to that when you get them wet lol) and finally got a thumb nail underneath it and was SOO relieved! (also felt like a freakin idiot) It's good to know that I am not the only person that was tricked by this layer. What did impress me was the ability of them to be able to apply a piece of plastic so well, as to trick us into thinking that it was a cohesive part of a whole. I have also removed the monstrous sticker on the right hand side of the palm rest that states all of the specs for the laptop.. Between that and feeling how the trackpad actually should, I've become much more comfortable with my new laptop. Just got a G55VW-DS71 for 999.99 on eBay, free shipping, open-box. Came with driver CD, stickers, and printed manual, but no back-pack or USB mouse. (no big deal I have tons of them that are better!) I've created my Factory DVDc, tested them, and am now onto learning more about UEFI, and installing a dual-boot with Win 7x64 Premium Home (ASUS Factory) and Linux Mint 15. Wish me luck!!

LOL, "I'm With Stoopid". Welcome to the club, Mikey! 🙂 I too was amazed how well that piece of plastic was applied, and that's why I wasn't sure about it either.

Man, it sure sounds like you got a killer deal on your G55!! Best of luck with your new "toy".
ASUS G75VW
i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
GTX 660M (2GB)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
1TB HDD
2TB HDD

Matrix_Leader
Level 10
wow! that looks awesome! I can't wait till I get hom and tear my ****ty trackpad apart 🙂
ASUS G75VW-T1086V
CPU: i7-3610QM 2.30 GHz.
Memory: 16 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz. RAM
Storage: 256 GB LiteOn LAT-256M3S SSD + 1 TB Seagate Momentus 5400 RPM HDD
Graphics: GeForce GTX 670M 3 GB GDDR5 RAM
Screen: 17.3' Full HD LED Screen

rewben
Level 13
11 months ago i thought i was the only one LOL!

rewben wrote:
11 months ago i thought i was the only one LOL!

Nope, apparently not. But you MAY have been the first! 🙂
ASUS G75VW
i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
GTX 660M (2GB)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
1TB HDD
2TB HDD

SHADO wrote:
Nope, apparently not. But you MAY have been the first! 🙂

LOL! that was a funny experience 🙂 i remembered i tried to remove the small bubbles under the plastic cover but finally gave up. then a friend here told us it's just a plastic cover haha!

dstrakele
Level 14
My G74SX also shipped with a clear protective film over the webcam lens. Be sure to remove that or your videoconferencing images will be blurry.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
My G74SX also shipped with a clear protective film over the webcam lens. Be sure to remove that or your videoconferencing images will be blurry.

Same with my G75. But at least that one was fairly obvious, because there was a little pull tab hanging free to grab. Not so on the trackpad, though.
ASUS G75VW
i7-3630QM 2.4Ghz
GTX 660M (2GB)
16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
1TB HDD
2TB HDD