cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird, faint screen lines over everything on G75WV-BBK5

DaManWitDaPlan
Level 8
I just got this new G75WV-BBK5 less than a month ago, and I'm having an issue with the screen

I noticed these small lines on the default desktop wallpaper, but I assumed they were normal (from compression of the image or something). Recently, however, I notices lines on my screen while playing a game, and then started looking for them. They're mainly visible on dark colors. There are horizontal lines over the entire screen, about 2 pixels in height and 2 pixels apart. It creates this effect where the color behind them is slightly darker or lighter than the rest of it. Here's an image to show what I'm talking about: http://i.imgur.com/nml86.png

I plugged up the notebook to my 42'' 1080p 120hz tv, and it didn't have this problem. I tried changing my refresh rate to 40hz (the only other option apart from 60) and the issue was still there. The lines just flickered more.

Is this normal? Is this model just like this? Could someone with this model (or a similar model) take a look at a picture like this: http://i.imgur.com/7kTcL.png ? That color causes the issue pretty obviously. Look at the screen from a downward angle (from higher than the screen) and let me know if you see the same thing I'm seeing. If this isn't normal, the only thing I can think of is that my gpu is shot or my monitor is screwed up. If it is normal, then why is it like this? o_O

In a last effort, I'm downloading the new nvidia verde driver to see if maybe it has to do with a refresh rate issue, but I kinda doubt it. To be honest, even if there is no fix, I'd find comfort in knowing that it's normal for this model. If nothing else, I might go to best buy to look at the floor model and see if it has the same issue.

Thanks in advance

EDIT:

1.) The lines are solid, not really flickering
2.) They are about 2 pixels thick, 2 pixels apart across the entire screen, horizontal
3.) They make the color either slightly lighter or slightly darker, causing the effect seen here: http://i.imgur.com/nml86.png
4.) It can be seen with the brightness of the screen turned all the way up, and viewed from a slightly higher-than-straight-on angle.
5.) The lines can only be seen on dark colors (not black), like this (http://i.imgur.com/7kTcL.png) or this (http://postimage.org/image/a5thle5mn/full/)
6.) The lines are entirely gone in 16-bit color modes, and pretty visible with 32-bit color.
7.) I've updated to the latest Nvidia beta verde driver, and it hasn't fixed the problem.
8.) I've changed the screen refresh rate to everything between 60 and 80 hz, and it hasn't fixed the problem. At lower frequencies like 30 or 40 hz, the lines appear to flicker (although this might just be because of the lower rate messing with my eyes)

I honestly think this could be a widespread issue with this laptop that not many people noticed. I've used this thing for 3 weeks and just noticed it yesterday. It can only be seen (as far as I can tell) from a semi-high angle, on dark colors, with full screen brightness, or at least this is the best way to spot the problem.
120 REPLIES 120

slayer2333
Level 7
Guys i managed to fix this problem using the latest driver from nvidia. It would sound stupid, but i just went to the nvidia control panel, change
resolution, customize, create custom resolution, leave as is. Then test and hit OK.
That's it, give it a shot guys (already sent it 3 times to RMA and got always the same problem).

c_man
Level 11
What latest driver? I run signed 314.07 and I'll give this a try. With this driver the flickr seems to be gone.

slayer2333
Level 7
I'm using the signed 314.07. In fact are not gone with this driver but creating a custom resolution fixes that problem. However, as soon as i change resolution in a game or in windows the flickr will be back. So it works only with the native resolution (1600x900) for me.

Edit : Did anyone manage to tell Asus RMA people the right words to get it fixed ? I sent it 3 times to RMA, and except the fact that the lappy was put to factory setting everytime no improvement was there for that problem. I explained them the problem with all the existing manners, still they don't seem to understand.

slayer2333 wrote:
I'm using the signed 314.07. In fact are not gone with this driver but creating a custom resolution fixes that problem. However, as soon as i change resolution in a game or in windows the flickr will be back. So it works only with the native resolution (1600x900) for me.

Edit : Did anyone manage to tell Asus RMA people the right words to get it fixed ? I sent it 3 times to RMA, and except the fact that the lappy was put to factory setting everytime no improvement was there for that problem. I explained them the problem with all the existing manners, still they don't seem to understand.

they understand, they just try to ignore it as how they made with me...

c_man
Level 11
No fix for me as well. I am stuck with this problem until I sell it.

c_man wrote:
No fix for me as well. I am stuck with this problem until I sell it.

Yep, as how i said, they ignore it, the money is already in their Pocket.

bignazpwns
Level 11
They have a fix for it. And its nothing less then Asus engineering at its finest.

This comes direct from Mike_Lu@ASUS

"please change your backgrand setting, if nothing help, you can send back to asus service center to check it or replace it if you are in warranty. "

Link.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29876-G75VX-Display-Quality&country=&status=

Why im at it i think i can be a Asus engineer now. Lets put some fix's out.

Loud fans?

Hum to your self, Turn your tv up or just ignore the sound.

System locks up every now and then?

Use the computer less.

Dead pixle?

Dont look at it. Or only display a black screen

USB port not working? Use another one.

Asus understands this display issue and they worked for months and had their best engineers working around the clock to come up with a fix for it. But it must be preformed by a trained Asus tech since this is very complex and only 3 people in the world know how to do this. change your background setting. Just chance it to all white or one with white lines and the problem is fixed.

bignazpwns wrote:
They have a fix for it. And its nothing less then Asus engineering at its finest.

This comes direct from Mike_Lu@ASUS

"please change your backgrand setting, if nothing help, you can send back to asus service center to check it or replace it if you are in warranty. "

Link.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?29876-G75VX-Display-Quality&country=&status=

Why im at it i think i can be a Asus engineer now. Lets put some fix's out.

Loud fans?

Hum to your self, Turn your tv up or just ignore the sound.

System locks up every now and then?

Use the computer less.

Dead pixle?

Dont look at it. Or only display a black screen

USB port not working? Use another one.

Asus understands this display issue and they worked for months and had their best engineers working around the clock to come up with a fix for it. But it must be preformed by a trained Asus tech since this is very complex and only 3 people in the world know how to do this. change your background setting. Just chance it to all white or one with white lines and the problem is fixed.

It's not about background, it's all in the darkzones, like Games, Images, etc.

StreetGT wrote:
It's not about background, it's all in the darkzones, like Games, Images, etc.

I know that. I know its a problem with the cheap welfare LCD panels they used. If you dig deep all the displays with the lines come from one plant the other perfect ones come from another "Same company" Even the VX has this problem. But Asus knows how to fix stuff so just change your backround till you dont see it or dont look at it lol.

This is Asus's version of the awesome Apple our phone is perfect you are just holding it wrong. And really with the huge fan boy fallowing Asus will never fix this issues if you are lucky they will replace it with one that dont have it but chances are they wont because they dont care. Because if you make a topic like this some 13 year old fan boy is going to make 10 about OMFG my G7% is soo l33t its like the most amazing system ever its the worlds fastest super computer other laptops wish they can run games like the G75 its so fast best deal in the world the next best system is $4,000.

slayer2333
Level 7
I'm hoping that Nvidia will release some kind of fix to this (i'm i hoping too much?). I will sell my G75VW as soon as it gets fixed, i just don`t want to screw up people by selling them a good looking lappy with crappy display lines.
Thinking about a last (4th) RMA but im really expecting more problems than fixed ones. Are there any kind of policies if your laptop is not fixed after 3 RMAs ? Like put it in a prioritized line of something like this ?